Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAM piano senior certificate

Options
  • 19-05-2010 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

hi,

so i've completed my eight grades about 4 or five years ago and have keenly been playing since. A few months ago I started giving piano lessons to a few local kids. I would love to get them to start doing grades but I think I need my senior certificate to start doing this? my piano teacher that got me through my eight grades has passed away since and i don't really know who to ask about what to do. is it like the other grades but harder again? is the exam much different? any information is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Hi pinkdiamond,

You don't need any official qualification to teach or enter students for exams. The senior cert is just a step between Grade VIII standard and associate diploma standard, so it's just like a harder Grade VIII, same format as all the other grades. Only qualification you need to teach is enthusiasm, willingness to learn yourself and an understanding of basic pedagogy. Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hey I did the Senior Cert a few years ago...jeez, okay about 11 years (scarey now that I think of it). I don't think you need it to start teaching, but it's literally just a step up from Grade 8, if you wanted to do it. I think I took about 18months to study for it...more for convenience sake than anything else.
    I don't know whether or not you do all scales for Grade 8 anymore (it's been a while), but you do them for the senior cert, which might be good if you get to teaching higher levels. Good luck anyway.

Advertisement