Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bulling in my last week of work

Options
  • 19-05-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi Guys,

not sure if this is the right forum; if not, pls forgive me.

This is my last week of work in my current company, and for some reason a workmate, that is not my manager even if he is in charge of the project that I'm working on, is behaving very weird toward me.

At this point my real boos (nearly ex boss) told me to talk to him (the bully) to organize an handhover... and the bully is trying to give me orders and trying to make me do things very trivial compare to what my job is (Tech Lead).

At this moment I am ingnoring him completely but he is becoming insistent. So I would say that he is bulling me trying making me doing thing out of my competencies...

what do you think that I should do ?

1) ignore him a pretent of being stupid saying things such as: "I am working on it, but it requires time"
    2) tell him, this is not job and you are not my boss... and therefore create a conflict as he will reply "the boss told me to bla bla bla bla..."

thanks guys !

react toward a "fake manager" 7 votes

pretend to be stupid and saying "I am working on it"
    0%
    say "you are not my boss..." or simillar and create a conflict
    57%
    SlydiceAntiRipanother worldMax Power1 4 votes
    other ?????
    42%
    JJJJNRmuboop1PK2008 3 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Always pretend to be stupid. Not sure it is bullying though. Maybe he is just asking you to do something and you're making a big deal out of it because it is your last week. Smile and tip away until the week is over. Life's too short. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

other ?????
    Just tell him to fup off with himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

PK2008 wrote: »
    Just tell him to fup off with himself

That too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You have only 18 hours to go so it is no big deal. I would agree with every thing, smile a lot and do what I fancy for the remaining 18 hours.

If possible, "arrange" an interview for tomorrow (Thursday) and pull a sickie early Friday or something, car broke down etc.....

You could always pull the tears, which is a devastating weapon when used in public against bullies.

Go to the toilet often, take long lunch breaks, come in late, leave early, it should be possible to leave the bully in the **** he deserves for being a bully.

Unless you are transferring to a similar position in the same company it is highly unlikely your references will be affected unless you do something really stupid like theft, assualt, go missing for a week etc. which can be documented and proven.

The trick is to do nothing egregious or obvious but do not comply with the bullies demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

other ?????
    Arrange the handover for Friday afternoon, and walk out at lunchtime..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Arrange the handover for Friday afternoon, and walk out at lunchtime..
    Or... arrange for the handover for Friday afternoon, have it all ready, have a "drink or two" before you go, and get him completely locked. Then do the handover, and ensure you shred everything so on Monday, he's totally f**ked?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I totally disagree with the other posters.

What I've read is that he's wanting you to do some tasks as part of the handover that you believe are totally beneath your dignity as a tech lead.

I'm guessing that these aren't thing like "scrub out the sink" - more likely "write up the documentation about XYZ that should have been done months ago but was ignored 'cos the project was busy or whatever.

My advice is to act like a mature adult: smile graciously, and do whatever is needed to make the handover smooth. If this means you have to lower yourself to do menial stuff, then do it.

Why?

Well, after you're gone, he's going to be around to tell folks about all the things that are your fault. You're not going to be around to defend yourself.

And more importantly, Ireland is a very small fishpond. Your industry is likely to be a small corner of that pond. Chances are you'll work with him again, and possibly he'll be your boss, or your boss's boss, or perhaps an employee of a client.

Relationships matter.

Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

No!

If you're acquiescent and comply with unreasonable demands then you're just inviting People to walk all over you and simply identifying yourself as a handy Scapegoat for the present and the future - ie. even post leaving the position, along the lines of "John never did blah, blah, blah before he fcuked off etc."

:confused:

Advertisement