Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to OZ for work Criminal Record?

Options
  • 19-05-2010 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

whats the story about going to oz if u have a crim record? do they check everyone that goes in, or is it hit and miss.. also where good place to get cheap visa's and flights?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

molloyjazz wrote: »
    whats the story about going to oz if u have a crim record? do they check everyone that goes in, or is it hit and miss.. also where good place to get cheap visa's and flights?

thanks

When you apply declare your record in full and if you are ok to enter at least you know before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Aussies generally check FA, Ive known Irish and French lads who served time for drug offences back home. Being lax about pretty much everything is the Aussie tradition tbh. My visa got checked properly mind, took a full week to come through, but the vast majority arent. Even had one lad I know done for dealing in Queensland who skipped his court date and got granted his 2nd year visa, the Aussies dont cross check their state law enforcement, never mind international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

Aussies generally check FA, Ive known Irish and French lads who served time for drug offences back home. Being lax about pretty much everything is the Aussie tradition tbh. My visa got checked properly mind, took a full week to come through, but the vast majority arent. Even had one lad I know done for dealing in Queensland who skipped his court date and got granted his 2nd year visa, the Aussies dont cross check their state law enforcement, never mind international.

So i just apply and if they gonna check they will do it before i book flights?.. just would be a shame to get turned away at the Airport.

molloyjazz wrote: »
    So i just apply and if they gonna check they will do it before i book flights?.. just would be a shame to get turned away at the Airport.

It would. So just state the offence on the application and you should be right. If your offence does not involved a sentence you should be ok. No body can guarantee even comfortably assure you DIAC will not double check your arrival on entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

If i was you id definatly put it on the application. You'll probably be fine, they just like to know these things. It would be worse if you lied and they found out about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

If you lie about it, I reckon theres a good chance you'll be caught out at the airport, better to be up front about it from the start IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I don't think it would be a big issue on a temporary visa. Maybe for a PR Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

i know a guy who left limerick with warrants outstanding for his arrest for not showing up at court for something (there was a long list tbh), he got through all the way.......still there, got his 2nd visa and all no problem.

I'd say you'd want to have done something pretty serious to get a visa refused because i know he had a lot of convictions on his record for all sorts (drunk and disorderly, theft, drugs etc):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They don't check records for holiday visa (inc. WHV), only for PR and sponsorship (and thats not even a cert)

Mellor wrote: »
    They don't check records for holiday visa (inc. WHV), only for PR and sponsorship (and thats not even a cert)

I reckon that(crimianl offences) would show up on your garda check for PR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Read my post again. I said they are checked PR.
    Not checked for WHV

only for PR and sponsorship (and thats not even a cert)

I was disagreeing with the "thats not even a cert" part

As you have to supply a Garda reference it is a cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I wouldn't say they check everyone but they do check.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Mackman wrote: »
    If i was you id definatly put it on the application. You'll probably be fine, they just like to know these things. It would be worse if you lied and they found out about it

Seriously?!?

Its to you if you choose to omit it, either way its highly unlikely it will get checked out especially if you do it over the internet.

If I were in your shoes I wouldnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they check everyone but they do check.

Ah here thats a UK citizen a completely different kettle of fish (as access of records is concerned)!!

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Its to you if you choose to omit it, either way its highly unlikely it will get checked out especially if you do it over the internet.

Unless you are in DIAC you don't know that for sure.

Ah here thats a UK citizen a completely different kettle of fish (as access of records is concerned)!!

what makes you think that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

They definitely don't check for working holiday visas so if you just intend to stay for the year then I definitely wouldn't put it down. If you are looking to go over there with the intention of trying to get in permanently then I definitely would, because they will find out anyway when you apply for your permanent visa and they will probably reject you for lying about it, whereas if it is a minor offence they probably wouldn't. So it also depends how serious it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Zambia232 wrote: »
    what makes you think that?

Well Australia is part of the commonwealth, I'd imagine it's easier to access UK records over Irish ones.

The reason they caught out that dude on border security wasn't because they did a check, but because he put 'yes' down on the immigration card thing. I guarantee if he'd put down 'no' they never would have found out.

• Advertisement

Daithio2 wrote: »
    The reason they caught out that dude on border security wasn't because they did a check, but because he put 'yes' down on the immigration card thing. I guarantee if he'd put down 'no' they never would have found out.

What is behind that guarantee?

Jesus its like the immigration gamble show on this thread?

Well Australia is part of the commonwealth, I'd imagine it's easier to access UK records over Irish ones.

Cant understand why you would imagine that, The UK is a completely different country than Australia and the Commonwealth of nations is merely a ceremonial umbrella for former nations of the British Empire.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    What is behind that guarantee?

common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Some of the Irish in Australia are completely reckless when it comes to obeying the law because they see themselves as being one big holiday. What happens if you decide to settle down here now or in the future and it's found you lied to immigration? Or god forbid you should get into trouble with the law here and thye should have reason to go looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Read my post again. I said they are checked PR.
    Not checked for WHV

I know someone with a Drink Driving conviction and had to provide documents to the embassy, they were allowed in, took him 1-2 weeks to get his WHV visa.

But he put that on his application that he had one.

so they do check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Cant understand why you would imagine that, The UK is a completely different country than Australia and the Commonwealth of nations is merely a ceremonial umbrella for former nations of the British Empire.

Spot on, its just an excuse for a sporting event these days.

In regards for declaring a criminal record, I would tick the yes box and take as much documentation with you pertaining to the case, if it was not a serious crime that did not carry a custodial sentence you should be fine (but that is just my opinion), if you lie and they do happen to do a cross check you could be in line for a night a Villawood Detention Centre and a trip home the next day and you trying to explain to your boss and co workers why your back, have you thaught about telling your boss you cant go for personal reasons, sick aunt or cat or something

ballooba wrote: »
    Some of the Irish in Australia are completely reckless when it comes to obeying the law because they see themselves as being one big holiday. What happens if you decide to settle down here now or in the future and it's found you lied to immigration? Or god forbid you should get into trouble with the law here and thye should have reason to go looking?

I have to agree that is a good point, also giving fellow Irish people in general a bad name as being dishonest, untruthful and shifty.

The same thing happened to Indians and they are now classed by DIAC as a HR (High Risk) country because of the high prevalence of falsified information from that particular nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I'm with The Aussie on this one, if you put no convictions on the arrival card they can still pull you in and question you - if you lied you just got a one way ticket back to Ireland because they CAN and do check..... ;)

You can't get PR for custodial sentances totalling 12 mths.

Honestly is always the best policy with DIAC - trust me, I've been dealing with them for the past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

ballooba wrote: »

Most Irish here on WHVs are farily settled with no intention of going home, compared to most other nationalities who really just are on a long holiday.

Mandrake- they are begging indians to come here after all the bad press over the attacks, so how are they high risk?

• Advertisement

Mandrake- they are begging indians to come here after all the bad press over the attacks, so how are they high risk?

I don't make DIAC rules, and I fail to see who is begging Indians to come to Australia.

Its a fact that DIAC classes India as a HR country.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405523

Advertisement