Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pedals: Look Keo Carbon vs. Keo 2 Max Carbon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Go for the Keo 2 max, they have a much wider platform over the regular Keos (something Shimano have had for ages). I wouldn't bother with the carbon versions, 16g weight saving is miniscule and pedals are always the first thing (for me anyway) that receive the most wear and tear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have the max 2 carbon which I think are fantastic, easy in and out and feel firm on the upstroke.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I have still not warmed to Look pedals yet, if I had the choice I would get Shimano pedals every time. Nice stable platform, solid bearings (my Ultegras were 2 years old and still perfect), really satisfying to engage and disengage, not like the Looks which feel too spongy when I twist out (and yes, I know how to dial up the tension thanks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    and yes, I know how to dial up the tension thanks.

Re tension on pedals, is there any particular reason for having pedals tighter over loser (i.e any extra power transfer) or is it whatever your comfortable clipping in and out of?

Power transfer will only be affected by how hard you push, so tension won't affect this. However if you are giving it big efforts and the tension is too low, you might pop a foot out accidentally and have a crash. Alternatively after a big push over the line you might be out of juice and wanting to collapse in a ditch, weakly twist your ankle only to find you can't unclip.

It's a delicate balance between security and dignity, that's all. Keep experimenting until you reach a setting you like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Re tension on pedals, is there any particular reason for having pedals tighter over loser (i.e any extra power transfer) or is it whatever your comfortable clipping in and out of?

Avoiding unclipping in a sprint and subsequent faceplant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's a delicate balance between security and dignity, that's all. Keep experimenting until you reach a setting you like.

But that balance should always be tipped towards dignity before security :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

el tonto wrote: »
    Avoiding unclipping in a sprint and subsequent faceplant.

Or kicking the guy beside you unintentionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Are the Keo Blades and even newer pedal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

I have still not warmed to Look pedals yet, if I had the choice I would get Shimano pedals every time. Nice stable platform, solid bearings (my Ultegras were 2 years old and still perfect), really satisfying to engage and disengage, not like the Looks which feel too spongy when I twist out (and yes, I know how to dial up the tension thanks).
    I feel the same,however the look keo max is a great pedal.Look claim it has a wide platform,but its no where near as wide as my shimano's.Once you get used to them they are great,nice and light as well.
    Cleats are soft though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭jimmyjacob

Thanks for the feedback lads. I hear what you're saying about the Shimanos but I've only ever used Look pedals and never really had a problem with them (although they were the clunky pre-Keo style pedals). So I think I'll stick with them for that reason.

Keo 2 Max I think it is. Will have a shop around and see if I can get a good price for the carbons, otherwise the standard should do the trick.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't use Look but I have Time RXS in three versions from the basic Edge to the Carbon to the Ti/Carbon and I really can't discern any significant difference between them. I suspect it is a similar story with many pedals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ive run pp56, keo clasics but cant get on with keo max 2, apart from that the 2 pairs i had (one sent back under warranty) both pairs squeak like a bag of mice
    enough for me to give up on them and go back to my old classics (which i'm thinking of getting another pair if they come up cheap enough anywhere - seeing as look wont send me any )

oh yeh and they reignite my tendonitis every time i ride with them but that is prob my body more than anything

Advertisement