Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands

• 19-05-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Gonna pick this up on Friday.... looks like it could be worth a punt...

Anyone looking to get this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its 8 hours long with no difficulty-based achievements (in fact, if you start on Normal and bump it down to Easy while playing, you get an achievement called "Our Little Secret").

100% rental for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It went from being a definite purchase to down at the bottom of my rental list (along with Splinter Cell) after reading EG's review last night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I've read nothing but mediocre reviews for it and with the slew of other, better games released around now I don't think I'll be going near this.

It's just a cash0in with the movie coming out. I really liked the last PoP game and I hope they go back to that style and formula from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

hmm.... maybe a rental then..... pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

The video made it sound so good but the reviews made it sound like what ya drop in a toilet the morning after

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Does this continue on from the last game :confused:

Still haven't forgiven them for that one :mad:

Edit: Nevermind the video explained all they copped out of continuing that horrible plot from the last one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

its worth a look its decent enough, will have a review of it up soon. we are giving away 2 copies of it if anyone is interested. although with red dead redemption coming i think i know what most people are looking forward to!

keithgeo wrote: »
    its worth a look its decent enough, will have a review of it up soon. we are giving away 2 copies of it if anyone is interested. although with red dead redemption coming i think i know what most people are looking forward to!

Ha a free copy eh? Now that changes things, gimme gimme :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

keithgeo wrote: »
    Can i have one?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Prob going to be as bad if not worse than the film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Can i have the free copy :confused:

The link to the site is in my sig, gamersireland if you google it. I will have a review up this week too. The film actually looks pretty good, like Pirates of the Caribean except in sand instead of water ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

I managed to get my hands on a copy of this game early and have been playing it along with Alan Wake. Have played about 2-2.5 hours at this stage and I am finding the gameplay very addictive. The story is verry pale in comparison to that being played out in AW.

I really like this game so far but there is absolutely nothing new here. I'm actually a small bit disappointed to have left the graphical style of the last game behind :( I think Eurogamers review is a bit harsh because the game is very playable.... more a 7 out of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I'm really disappointed reading the reviews so far, big fan of the Prince of Persia series and I was really looking forward to this. I may pick it up when it's cheaper in a few months.

Rented this in Xtravision. Its €8 for 5 days, or a tenner for the week.
    I'll give my feedback on it later.

Mr E wrote: »
    Rented this in Xtravision. Its €8 for 5 days, or a tenner for the week.
    I'll give my feedback on it later.

Thieves !!!!!!!!!! When they they up the prices? Used to be 7.95 for the week :mad:

About 6 weeks ago.... Meh... better than paying €45 for it.

I enjoyed playing through it anyways, it has an addictive quality to it in that you want to keep going when your playing it. its worth a look, you probably wont play it again though once you clear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Since the topic has been revived, HMV are selling this for €22.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

At 22 its a steal. Good solid game, very well done. Its not quite the Sands of Time but if you liked that you will like this.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

I finished it a while back. I know the 2 biggest criticisms of it were the camera and combat. But to be honest the combat wasn't that bad, I read through the list of achievements and trying to get tjoose in the massive battles is a lot of fun. The camera was annoying at times though.

In all it was a great game, surprised by the bad reviews really. The platforming was excellent, probably amongst the best I have ever played. Once you get the ability to freeze water then the game just takes off. I'm tempted to go back and play all of the challenges so I can fill up the skills board :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Got this at lunch, 22 sheets in HMV..... looking forward to it now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm going to crack and buy this sometime soon. It seems like it's a more traditional PoP experience than the 2008 one.

I seem to be one of the few who really enjoyed the 2008 PoP and I'm pretty skeptical of this one, but at that price I'm also pretty sure I'm going to succumb and pick it this evening. I just hope there aren't any levels that require you to control your impulses, because clearly I'd fail at them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I quite liked the 2008 POP too, I just thought it led you by the nose quite a bit and the fighting wasnt as good or as deep as this version. This is a little tougher in those respects and a bit more like the Sands of Time which I thought was near perfect.

Dunno why people have given it bad reviews I thought it was very entertaining.

DeV.

I nearly picked it up this evening but I wanted to pick up the PS3 version so I could give it to a buddy afterwards, so I picked up Army of Two: The 40th day for 18 quid instead. Should keep me distracted long enough!

Will definitely pick up The Forgotten Sands at some stage though. I think a big reason why people have been reacting negatively to the game is that it seems like a bit of a cash grab with the movie coming out. Rather than an evolution of the series and trying new things, it's just rehashing old systems etc. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can see why people could be disappointed with it.

But thats absolute nonsense to be fair (I know you arent saying that). The game is very innovative with the stopping time rather then simply rewinding it. Freezing water adds something new and fresh to the game without completely re-engineering it. The game is slick especially the FMV which are entertaining without being intrusive. The graphics are very well done and the puzzles arent too hard but arent "Press X to solve this" which I felt the previous incarnation was guilty of.

As for cashing in on the movie, personally I think it looks the other way around for once! The movie is definitely cashing in on the franchise and apparently is as woeful as preceding games-of-the-movies were. The game itself more then stands on its own two feet as far as I can see.

DeV.

Well said, DeV. Couldn't agree more. It was short, but alot of fun. Loved it.

DeVore wrote: »
    But thats absolute nonsense to be fair (I know you arent saying that). The game is very innovative with the stopping time rather then simply rewinding it. Freezing water adds something new and fresh to the game without completely re-engineering it. The game is slick especially the FMV which are entertaining without being intrusive. The graphics are very well done and the puzzles arent too hard but arent "Press X to solve this" which I felt the previous incarnation was guilty of.

As for cashing in on the movie, personally I think it looks the other way around for once! The movie is definitely cashing in on the franchise and apparently is as woeful as preceding games-of-the-movies were. The game itself more then stands on its own two feet as far as I can see.

DeV.

Ah yeah, but it seems to be the approach a lot of reviewers went into the game with, so it had an uphill struggle. It's the same kinda thing that annoyed me about the reviews for the 2008 PoP saying that it was too easy 'cause you couldn't die (which Edge even stated again in their review of Forgotten Sands) I'm not saying it wasn't easier, but I saw so many reviews correlating that with the fact that if you fell Elika would grab and save you popping you back to where you jumped from. I found that a great and inventive way of keeping the flow of the game going by not plopping you back at a checkpoint after loading for a second or two, it was a clever way really of hiding the "Try Again?" screen and not taking you out of the game. I was saying to a buddy the other day that the 2008 Prince of Persia was one of the most relaxing games I've played. Almost like Flower in that way.

I think the same kind of thing is possibly happening with the new Prince, but rather in a different way. People are looking at it cynically and probably had their reviews written before they even played it. I'm sure Ubisoft at some stage did sit down and say "We have to have a PoP game coming out around the time of the movie," and tying it back into the Sands trilogy makes sense because it's the series the movie is based on. I'll definitely play it eventually, I was just put off for those same reasons after reading the reviews, but after hearing people's reactions to it, I'm curious to play it now.

Part of it too with me is I'm hoping it doesn't mean they've abandoned what they started with the 2008 game, because that had some really interesting ideas that just need to be tinkered with and explored and they could have a really special game on their hands. Combat (as seems to always be the case with PoP games) seems to be the main issue to address, and maybe make it a bit more challenging. I just loved the whole style and fluidity of it.

• Advertisement

You can most certainly die in Forgotten sands, trust me, I've done it a few times! :) If you get yourself into a dead end for which you dont have enough rewind energy, you basically cant do anything but die. Its happens more towards the end of the game when the runs between safe spots gets longer and more convoluted. It always seems to involve water too (since you cant rest on it I guess).

Otherwise I completely agree, I enjoyed the 2k8 version too and found it quite relaxing too once I "got" it. I liked the quite retry-system with Elika cos lets face it, I was always going to retry!

But I prefer this as its a move back towards Sands of Time which I stil think was the best. Pity the writing doesnt seem as crisp, thats one gripe. Its not as bad as others but its not as sharp as SoT.

DeV.

Advertisement