Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you work for the dole?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

firstly this type of program is out years its not a new idea,
    your just new to the situation and you think you found a solution.... you didn't ;)

secondly Who are these people who your on about,,,, everyone i know on the dole was sent out on a course/job or two.my uncle painted schools,a friend of mine cut grass another helped with buildings this idea is out years i don't know of anyone long term who just does nothing,,, stop looking for something that doesn't exist.

you might love your wife but 24 hours a day everyday,,,please what man doesn't love to do a bit of work and get out of the house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If you were made to work while on the dole wouldnt that make you an employee of the state and therefore a civil servant!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Jesus it seems as if the politicos are doing more press releases lately than anything else. This is just another great headline grabber, the reality and the headline are two different things.

If people are long term unemployed and have made a lifestyle choice out of that, I'd love to see the standard of work they'd do, considering they don't want to be there.

Firstly what needs to be done is an assessment of these people, not one of yer airy fairy sit down interviews, put them thru some psychometric testing, personality and capability will then be well defined, no doubt some will get a doctors note to excuse them.

They then need to put into a program that skills them for an area of work they are capable of doing, and if they refuse/mess up the work then on a sliding scale their dole should be reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

B&L 100, Genzyme 100, AOL 100, Waterford Corp 100, Waterford Co Co 100, Brewery 100, Honneywell 100, Smartply 100, AIBP 100, ESB 100,

Say if the above agree to take in 100 each, where do the other 10,000 go and the other 6,000 from the surrounding environs

Another Stupid suggestion from another Parish-Pump-Politician

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

19.5V wrote: »
    B&L 100, Genzyme 100, AOL 100, Waterford Corp 100, Waterford Co Co 100, Brewery 100, Honneywell 100, Smartply 100, AIBP 100, ESB 100,

Say if the above agree to take in 100 each, where do the other 10,000 go and the other 6,000 from the surrounding environs

Another Stupid suggestion from another Parish-Pump-Politician

I suppose all she was highlighting, was the entitlement brigade!! No one here is talking about people who recently lost their jobs, we are talking about the ones who are free loading on the back of every tax payer in the Country!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 apriloneill

alrightcuz wrote: »
    firstly this type of program is out years its not a new idea,
    your just new to the situation and you think you found a solution.... you didn't ;)

secondly Who are these people who your on about,,,, everyone i know on the dole was sent out on a course/job or two.my uncle painted schools,a friend of mine cut grass another helped with buildings this idea is out years i don't know of anyone long term who just does nothing,,, stop looking for something that doesn't exist.

you might love your wife but 24 hours a day everyday,,,please what man doesn't love to do a bit of work and get out of the house :)

A course / job or two?? For how many years on the dole is this? Even if your uncle and friend have done a few jobs here and there you're pretty naive to think that there aren't thousands of people in the country doing absolutely nothing to get work simply because they don't want to work. I personally know of several and it's so infuriating. It's simply true that for some people that is the way of life they choose.

In relation to the idea of work for people on the dole long term, I think it's a great idea to get people out doing work in the community. There's plenty of work that could be done to keep the city cleaner and more welcoming to visitors. Why should there not be a little given back for tax payers money? For professionals to help out with community projects is a good idea since jobs such as teaching assistants and special needs assistants have been cut recently. At the moment when so many cutbacks are necessary I don't think they would be taking a paid job from anyone, they'd be helping to provide a service that unfortunately the government can no longer afford to pay for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I have just read an article in the Waterford Today where Collr. Mary Roche makes the suggestion that maybe people should have to work for the dole. She points out that the dole has become a 'lifestyle' choice for some where they don't work, have never worked and have no intention of working whilst being in a position to own a car and go on a holiday!!

I believe that this has merit once it is not abused!!

Have not seen the article but going on what you say, i have to agree with Mary Roche on this one.

whilst being in a position to own a car and go on a holiday!!

Let’s have a look in through their window and see if they have a big Foff flat screen as well!

Then gather them all up at the bullbost for interrogation, ask them to produce receipts on when they purchased their cars and holidays, those like (the rest of us) who purchased them when they were working are OK but the rest of them, SEND THEM TO THE GULAG……….cop-on Roche

Let’s have a look in through their window and see if they have a big Foff flat screen as well!

Then gather them all up at the bullbost for interrogation, ask them to produce receipts on when they purchased their cars and holidays, those like (the rest of us) who purchased them when they were working are OK but the rest of them, SEND THEM TO THE GULAG……….cop-on Roche

That's a great idea!!:o

That's a great idea!!:o

Yes the "cop-on Roche" bit

thank you

• Advertisement

Yes the "cop-on Roche" bit

thank you

Maybe they should hire you to round them all up!

Maybe they should hire you to round them all up!

No not me I respect peoples civil liberties, unlike the majority subscribing to this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Great idea and I'm on the feckin dole.

bryaner wrote: »
    Great idea and I'm on the feckin dole.

Well I hope that you wont be on it long and I hope that you are smart with your money........;)

No not me I respect peoples civil liberties, unlike the majority subscribing to this thread

If you are unwilling to contribute to society your dole should be taken from you! maybe we should adopt a system like other European states where you are given the dole for a set period of time and if you do not obtain a job after that you are struck off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Well I hope that you wont be on it long and I hope that you are smart with your money........;)

Nearly 2 years on it after 20 years of solid work for the one firm (albeit im trying to get something of them since my stamps ran out) but I'm mad for work head is melted.

bryaner wrote: »
    Nearly 2 years on it after 20 years of solid work for the one firm (albeit im trying to get something of them since my stamps ran out) but I'm mad for work head is melted.

Best of luck with that bryaner!

If you are unwilling to contribute to society your dole should be taken from you! maybe we should adopt a system like other European states where you are given the dole for a set period of time and if you do not obtain a job after that you are struck off!!

so take me through what you think will happen next, after a persons dole is taken away?

so take me through what you think will happen next, after a persons dole is taken away?

They get up and show some initiative!!

wow, looks as if you and roche share something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There are more unemployed than there are vacancies. There will be people who won't get jobs quickly, however much they want to. Should they really be ejected from society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

from my experience wen it comes to finding a job,,its not wot you know but its who you know,iv had so many interviews that never came to fruitition because of some silly excuse and have had other interviews when i was asked do i know any of the lads working there i was nearly hired there and then or get a call back a few days later when the employer did the background checks with the staff ,,and as for mary saying people should work for there dole,,well i say mary you live singly alone in a one bed sit heap in the city suburbs and see how hard it is first hand and then do your preaching about it like the aul saying walk a mile in another mans shoes and see do u like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

We would turn in the America .
    You think the crime level is bad now,

You would have people who have never broken the law , turning to crime.

Working for the dole OK , If it does not effect the few jobs that are around at the moment,

Cutting off the dole..... stupid idea

But I'm not blaming the Councillor for her idea she problem heard it at a conference somewhere.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    We would turn in the America .
    You think the crime level is bad now,

You would have people who have never broken the law , turning to crime.

Working for the dole OK , If it does not effect the few jobs that are around at the moment,

Cutting off the dole..... stupid idea

But I'm not blaming the Councillor for her idea she problem heard it at a conference somewhere.

Agreed

apart from the last bit, counillor has her own brain, she should use it

Agreed

apart from the last bit, counillor has her own brain, she should use it

So 19.5V we are agreing that it is ok to work for the dole once it don't deprive someone else of a full time position!

Junior wrote: »

Firstly what needs to be done is an assessment of these people, not one of yer airy fairy sit down interviews, put them thru some psychometric testing, personality and capability will then be well defined, no doubt some will get a doctors note to excuse them.

They then need to put into a program that skills them for an area of work they are capable of doing, and if they refuse/mess up the work then on a sliding scale their dole should be reduced.

Mmmm ve need to find a vay to silence the doctors, any suggestions?

were you in the hitler youth in a previous life?

So 19.5V we are agreing that it is ok to work for the dole once it don't deprive someone else of a full time position!

No, missed that bit

No, missed that bit

Well you agreed with ROCKMAN except for his final sentence!

Well you agreed with ROCKMAN except for his final sentence!
    I missed that bit, no I dont agrre with working for the dole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

I am a fully qualified electrician on the dole for 3yrs now and after reading this thread am a bit p*ss&d off with some comments.

There is already 2 systems in place where by which ppl work for their money 1 is the wppc scheme the other is the community employment scheme. ( I have tried to get on both but to no avail)

Just because someone is long term unemployed doesnt mean their not trying to get work, I apply for a minimum of 2 jobs per day ( anything from cleaning toilets to training ppl who want to upskill etc...) but so far have not got an offer of employment

I run a car and take holidays and go out on d piss now and again, the reason I can afford it is I budget for it and save, some ppl on here wud have u believe that just because your on the dole your not entitled to have a life.

Imho people seem to have this view that persons on the dole have a great life gettin free money but nothing can prepare you for the impact it will have on your mental health going from working 8hrs a day to trying to fill that time and not resent the world with every rejection letter that comes thru the door

Advertisement