Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you work for the dole?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

twitch1984 wrote: »
    I am a fully qualified electrician on the dole for 3yrs now and after reading this thread am a bit p*ss&d off with some comments.

There is already 2 systems in place where by which ppl work for their money 1 is the wppc scheme the other is the community employment scheme. ( I have tried to get on both but to no avail)

Just because someone is long term unemployed doesnt mean their not trying to get work, I apply for a minimum of 2 jobs per day ( anything from cleaning toilets to training ppl who want to upskill etc...) but so far have not got an offer of employment

I run a car and take holidays and go out on d piss now and again, the reason I can afford it is I budget for it and save, some ppl on here wud have u believe that just because your on the dole your not entitled to have a life.

Imho people seem to have this view that persons on the dole have a great life gettin free money but nothing can prepare you for the impact it will have on your mental health going from working 8hrs a day to trying to fill that time and not resent the world with every rejection letter that comes thru the door

what can I say apart from well said, the folks here have "the long and winding road" ahead of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

in answer to the question.....certainly not. i wouldnt be able to watch racing uk and ATR all day then would i.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

twitch1984 wrote: »
    I am a fully qualified electrician on the dole for 3yrs now and after reading this thread am a bit p*ss&d off with some comments.

There is already 2 systems in place where by which ppl work for their money 1 is the wppc scheme the other is the community employment scheme. ( I have tried to get on both but to no avail)

Just because someone is long term unemployed doesnt mean their not trying to get work, I apply for a minimum of 2 jobs per day ( anything from cleaning toilets to training ppl who want to upskill etc...) but so far have not got an offer of employment

I run a car and take holidays and go out on d piss now and again, the reason I can afford it is I budget for it and save, some ppl on here wud have u believe that just because your on the dole your not entitled to have a life.

Imho people seem to have this view that persons on the dole have a great life gettin free money but nothing can prepare you for the impact it will have on your mental health going from working 8hrs a day to trying to fill that time and not resent the world with every rejection letter that comes thru the door

I don't believe that anyone on here would object to someone who have worked most of their life been assisted if they have been left go. Your industry in particular has fallen apart. However, the fundamental argument is centered around a large cohort of people whom have never works and have no intention of ever working (unlike you). In addition to that, as suggested in some of the posts, there are contributions that can be made to society without jepardizing others jobs.

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I don't believe that anyone on here would object to someone who have worked most of their life been assisted if they have been left go. Your industry in particular has fallen apart. However, the fundamental argument is centered around a large cohort of people whom have never works and have no intention of ever working (unlike you). In addition to that, as suggested in some of the posts, there are contributions that can be made to society without jepardizing others jobs.

I see ve have begun za selection process.....sieg heil

19.5V wrote: »
    I see ve have begun za selection process.....sieg heil

You don't see any problems with the German economy...

• Advertisement

You don't see any problems with the German economy...

Educate me, why dont germans have problems with their economy?

Educate me, why dont germans have problems with their economy?

Their economy has returned to growth and their unemployment remains low relative to other OECD Countries.

German banks issued loans in 1997 equivalent to 80% of their GDP
    Irish banks issued loans in 1997 equivalent to 70% of their GDP

German banks issued loans in 2077 equivalent to 75% of their GDP
    Irish banks issued loans in 2007 equivalent to 210% of their GDP

That is why we are in the position we are in and Germany is not!

Their economy has returned to growth and their unemployment remains low relative to other OECD Countries.

German backs issued loans in 1997 equivalent to 80% of their GDP
    Irish backs issued loans in 1997 equivalent to 70% of their GDP

German backs issued loans in 2077 equivalent to 75% of their GDP
    Irish backs issued loans in 2007 equivalent to 210% of their GDP

That is why we are in the position we are in and Germany is not!
    I assume you ment banks

by the way you are completely wasting your time in drawing any sort of comparison between (us superpower) Ireland and Germany.
    We are in the penny league, a remote wet soggy outpost island on the edge of Europe who lost the running of ourselves, who tax its citizens to the hilt for third world services.

The current generations children’s children will be paying for the decisions of the parish-pump-politicians of this superpower country, all the red lights were ignored by the gombeen government. Our local gombeen, has a bee in her knickers about the people on the dole.
    We have the population of the greater Manchester area, yet we have a government setup that rivals that of the U.S.A.
    We have a political party that has woven itself into the fabric of the nation, onto the boards of the state companies, the country needs (regime change) spring cleaning, have you ever watched the dail in action, it’s just incredible, have you ever seen Jackie healy rea, I mean for god’s sake he got into government on the back of the English tv channels being switched off in his area.
    We fooled ourselves into believing that we have the most expensive property on the planet, until the pyramid selling property scheme chickens came home to roost. We are witnessing the biggest robbery ever, and that rob will continue for generations, guess what .....we deserve it, watching and analysing the folks on the dole isnt going to do anything, actualy i think it is quiet sinister

I assume you ment banks

by the way you are completely wasting your time in drawing any sort of comparison between (us superpower) Ireland and Germany.
    We are in the penny league, a remote wet soggy outpost island on the edge of Europe who lost the running of ourselves, who tax its citizens to the hilt for third world services.

The current generations children’s children will be paying for the decisions of the parish-pump-politicians of this superpower country, all the red lights were ignored by the gombeen government. Our local gombeen, roche has a bee in her knickers about the people on the dole.
    We have the population of the greater Manchester area, yet we have a government setup that rivals that of the U.S.A.
    We have a political party that has woven itself into the fabric of the nation, onto the boards of the state companies, the country needs (regime change) spring cleaning, have you ever watched the dail in action, it’s just incredible, have you ever seen Jackie(gombeen) healy rea, I mean for god’s sake he got into government on the back of the English tv channels being switched off in his area.
    We fooled ourselves into believing that we have the most expensive property on the planet, until the pyramid selling property scheme chickens came home to roost. We are witnessing the biggest robbery ever, and that rob will continue for generations, guess what .....we deserve it, watching and analysing the folks on the dole isnt going to do anything, actualy i think it is quiet sinister

I agree with almost everything you mention above. However, i do believe that we need to address free loaders across the board in our society. And for the record that don't mean hard working people who are legitimately getting assistance!!

I agree with almost everything you mention above. However, i do believe that we need to address free loaders across the board in our society. And for the record that don't mean hard working people who are legitimately getting assistance!!

Fine, but have a look at the other end of the spectrum, there are "rent seakers" in high office in this country, if gombeen wants bang-for-her-buck, maybe she should have a good look in the mirror and encourage her companion gombeens to do the same, dont look over the fence and tell others what to do.

• Advertisement

Fine, but have a look at the other end of the spectrum, there are "rent seakers" in high office in this country, if gombeen wants bang-for-her-buck, maybe she should have a good look in the mirror and encourage her companion gombeens to do the same, dont look over the fence and tell others what to do.

Sorry, i am back to not agreeing with you again!!

What Mary Roche said is fundamentally sound. However, like you mentioned i believe it should be broadened out to our Politian's and Public Servants.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

What pisses me off is that the government make it look like its the lads on on welfare taking all the money,,,, for every increase in welfare a deduction is taking from somewhere else.

The government don't give to one class with out giving to the other think they want to be fired. a good example is rent allowance on average they give a 100 a week towards rent for a family it equals 5200 euro a year, a person who owns there house can rent a room out for up to 10,000 euro tax free each year.

all new cars have a small tax while old cars are still high why not give me low tax so i can save up and get a new car

people in buissness can clam back work exspensives while others don't declare all the work they have done everyone knows someone who does tom'os ,

And while were all fighting for scraps the government is getting huge amounts . stop thinking someone is getting more then you were all getting scraps our government can rival the us yet were the size of Manchester sack um,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

My suggestion is:
    If you lose your job then you should get social welfare for 6 months. After that, you should be on your own. That will push people on to get another job. However if you voluntarily leave your job you shouldn't be allowed get social welfare, unless your pregnant etc.
    I feel it would help solve alot of problems doing this, but I am sure new problems would arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    My suggestion is:
    If you lose your job then you should get social welfare for 6 months. After that, you should be on your own. That will push people on to get another job. However if you voluntarily leave your job you shouldn't be allowed get social welfare, unless your pregnant etc.
    I feel it would help solve alot of problems doing this, but I am sure new problems would arise.

Is that going to solve the shortage of jobs? It might have worked 3 years ago, but what the point in telling someone to get a job when they are not available?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    My suggestion is:

What about a fellow who activly looks for a job or jobs without success in the first six months of going on the dole. Is he going to have to be left hungry. Your suggestion will solve a lot.

And what about a fellow that is in his early 60's for example, and is working in a factory for example that is going through a troubled patch, but might be able to get out of it with some redundicies. If one of these people were to say they will take it in order to try and save the jobs of others e.g. a son or daughter or who ever, are they to be left without something as well.

How about we get the gombeen government to work for their money first!.................

then maybe the dole issue would'nt be as big a problem.

Oh mother Ireland!

ps have a look at PDF and try spot the difference

How about we get the gombeen government to work for their money first!.................

then maybe the dole issue would'nt be as big a problem.

That's it squeeze the wasters on both side - problem solved ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

dayshah wrote: »
    Is that going to solve the shortage of jobs? It might have worked 3 years ago, but what the point in telling someone to get a job when they are not available?

Ok well it should be given for a longer period of time then 6 months during the current economic climate but could then be reviewed when things are significantly improved.

Hey, its only a suggestion and to be honest I dont see it being put into practice in the foreseeable future here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dooshbag1970

There are some genuine cases out there and we all sympathise with these people. But there are others out there who are taking the p%&s! Families on the dole who can bring their kids on holidays every year, have a 2008/09/10 car in the driveway of their brand new council house, and can afford 'wedding sized' receptions in hotels for their childrens communions/confirmations/parties etc. (oh, with the mandatory limo to bring them there!!). These are the people who need to be investigated as they are surely doing sideline work (labouring, gardening, picking winkles/spuds etc etc). There is always reports in the local papers about illegal dumping, potholes, other works that need to be acted on. Could people on long term dole (who have no evidence of recent job applications) be brought in fortnightly (per month) to do some bit of work in their locality? I have worked since I was 14 (40 now) and do find it very frustrating that there are people out there who just don't want to work and us taxpayers have to fund their lifestyle, which in some cases is more comfortable than our own!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I have just read an article in the Waterford Today where Collr. Mary Roche makes the suggestion that maybe people should have to work for the dole. She points out that the dole has become a 'lifestyle' choice for some where they don't work, have never worked and have no intention of working whilst being in a position to own a car and go on a holiday!!

I believe that this has merit once it is not abused!!

Typical of her to say that, she wouldn't know what it's like to struggle. Can't stand her and her neo con views.

200motels wrote: »
    Typical of her to say that, she wouldn't know what it's like to struggle. Can't stand her and her neo con views.

And your alternative suggestions for progress is????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

And your alternative suggestions for progress is????

Well if you call what she said progress I pity this country going forward, and people like you supporting her is even worse, and today our rubbish goverment gave another 2 billion to AIB and they have the cheek to ask us the the fools to pay for it, what we need in this country is a Goverment that understands the people and not the greedy banks. We need a cou de ta. Hope I spelt that right. Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

yes, I think people on the dole should be made to do work, maybe in the community, removing graffiti, chewing gum off the pavements, keeping the towns and cities clean.. they could also help the old people do household chores...

CamperMan wrote: »
    yes, I think people on the dole should be made to do work, maybe in the community, removing graffiti, chewing gum off the pavements, keeping the towns and cities clean.. they could also help the old people do household chores...

Yea all the unemployed architects, engineers, carpenters, block layers, plumbers, nurses, solicitors and general workers should scrub off other peoples shyte.

Oh and go fetch a pint of milk for the neighbour.....................Jazus H Christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

200motels wrote: »
    Well if you call what she said progress I pity this country going forward, and people like you supporting her is even worse, and today our rubbish goverment gave another 2 billion to AIB and they have the cheek to ask us the the fools to pay for it, what we need in this country is a Goverment that understands the people and not the greedy banks. We need a cou de ta. Hope I spelt that right. Rant over.

Coup d'état

yes we need a Stalin type figure , he was known for his love of the unemployed /unemployables

danbohan wrote: »
    Coup d'état

yes we need a Stalin type figure , he was known for his love of the unemployed /unemployables

We have better than Stalin.....Bankers, they are going to screw people that arent even born yet!

We have better than Stalin.....Bankers, they are going to screw people that arent even born yet!

Without a functioning banking system we have no economy and no work. I like most people believe that what has happened to this country is a crime by politicians and the public servants that were asleep on the job whilst the financial system fell around them. They inflated the construction industry when it was already overheating and like all bubbles it burst!!

However, In good times and in bad we should support people who have worked hard all their life's and actually feel uncomfortable collecting the dole. The ones that made a career decision out of it should be encouraged to help out in the community and not be a burden on society!!

Without a functioning banking system we have no economy and no work. I like most people believe that what has happened to this country is a crime by politicians and the public servants that were asleep on the job whilst the financial system fell around them. They inflated the construction industry when it was already overheating and like all bubbles it burst!!

However, In good times and in bad we should support people who have worked hard all their life's and actually feel uncomfortable collecting the dole. The ones that made a career decision out of it should be encouraged to help out in the community and not be a burden on society!!

You have the "bigger fish to fry" on this, and i think i will leave you to it.

Here's to the bubblegum free footpaths of Ireland!

• Advertisement

Jesus it looks like Mary might just have started something...The Government are proposing a scheme where you work for your dole.

Advertisement