Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismantling & Reconstructing Block Shed

• 19-05-2010 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I currently have a block shed awkwardly positioned adjacent to my garden. It is made of 6 inch blocks that are cemented together. There is about a thousand blocks overall. It is over forty years old.

Is there anyway I could dismantle and reuse the blocks? I intend rebuilding the shed with the same materials.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

I would imagine you could take the blocks apart and remove the morter. Id also imagine this would be very tim consuming. Also if its 40 years old then the bricks might break while separating them.
    You will have to dig and lay new foundation from new material. I would knock it and just build a brand new 1 but if its a budget issue id make a timber framed 1 and leave it at that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its totally possible. but i tdont think its worth it. unless you like the colour or finish of the blocks or they are hard to come by.

blocks are cheap. and sounds like you were going to do the work yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Scrap the shed,

It contains a thousand blocks, not many will be intact when its taken appart and u will get a pain in your rear cleaning old mortar off them for use in the new shed. If u have a serious amount of time then go ahead but id knock it and use the smashed up shed for part filling of your new sheds floor. As matron said blocks are cheap and new clean blocks are easier to to work with and cut better.

Advertisement