Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topsoil..small amounts.

Options
  • 19-05-2010 2:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I've dug out a portion of garden (a border)that contained a lot of tree roots etc and the soil is really poor and hard to dig.
    I'm thinking of just dumping some soil over the area to raise the height and just plant on that.
    Does anybody know where i'd get a small amount of topsoil,enough to cover a few square feet to 6 inches or so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

B&Q sell small bags of top soil for about €5 a bag. I've used such bags together with bags of compost to fill similar areas. Sometimes they have 3 for 2 bags offers. It will prob cost about €20 to fill that area using a combination of top soil & compost. Plants just love it !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Before you buy top soil, think about what you want to do in the area that you removed the trees etc. The trees and plants that were growing there would have taken alot of the nutrients out of the ground and if you want to replant that area, you should think about adding back in lots, and LOTS of organic matter. B&Q sell bags of soil improver or you can get farmyard manure or even compost. The key is to dig in as much of that stuff as you can afford or can manage before needing a doctor! :) The soil will breakup and have a better consistancy and the plants you then plant will be better for it. Then cover with fresh topsoil as a mulch or what I do is use a soil improver which can be dug in and topped up again next year.
    regarding the topsoil, I'm not sure what soil type you have, but B&Q's topsoil is ok, but very sandy, so keep that in mind when picking plants since it will be very free draining.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

lalorm wrote: »
    Before you buy top soil, think about what you want to do in the area that you removed the trees etc. The trees and plants that were growing there would have taken alot of the nutrients out of the ground and if you want to replant that area, you should think about adding back in lots, and LOTS of organic matter. B&Q sell bags of soil improver or you can get farmyard manure or even compost. The key is to dig in as much of that stuff as you can afford or can manage before needing a doctor! :) The soil will breakup and have a better consistancy and the plants you then plant will be better for it. Then cover with fresh topsoil as a mulch or what I do is use a soil improver which can be dug in and topped up again next year.
    regarding the topsoil, I'm not sure what soil type you have, but B&Q's topsoil is ok, but very sandy, so keep that in mind when picking plants since it will be very free draining.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

Funny you should mention manure..i can get horse manure for free and i dug in a big bag of it already..my plan is just as you say,to cover it with topsoil and plant on that.

Advertisement