Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motors in the Pro peleton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's ridiculous.

The tech exists but it's far too noisy to go unnoticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

FB changed bikes in both RVV and PR. This is pro cycling. Almost any type of cheating is conceivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

"We've discovered that it could save a rider between 60 and 100 watts"

where can I buy one of these by Saturday?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

So that's why Landis changed his bike during the infamous Stage 17.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Apparently the Gruber Assist is silent.

I really really want one, but at the moment the price is a bit funny - around €475, according to a cycling forum.

There's a video on this (company) page: http://www.gruberassist.com/english/product/product-description/

If the price comes down, this could revolutionise cycletouring - the countryside will be aflock with people who might have jibbed at 50 miles a day cycling before.

• Advertisement

Apparently the Gruber Assist is silent.

No it isn't.

All I can hear is the sound of the bicycle wheel and chain - are you hearing something else, Lumen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Ofc.. it sounds like a lightweight black&decker.

All I can hear is the sound of the bicycle wheel and chain - are you hearing something else, Lumen?

Yes, there's a distinct high pitched whirring noise.

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, there's a distinct high pitched whirring noise.

Oh, yeah, now that you say it, I hear a whine. Wonder why it's being tested for in the Tour de France, then - surely people would hear it?

• Advertisement

Wonder why it's being tested for in the Tour de France, then

Is it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is it?

It is. Nicolas Roche, for example, got his bike scanned the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i presume testing would be carried out under the presumption of take whatever's in the public domain and add x% sophistication + ability for people to pay y times more. Not overly surprising its being tested for imo, doesn't mean it even exists though :)

i presume testing would be carried out under the presumption of take whatever's in the public domain and add x% sophistication + ability for people to pay y times more.

Yeah, but the world of cycling tech often works the other way round. It costs a lot of money to develop new tech, so you want it to get into the hands of the "money no object" punters ASAP. Case in point: Di2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yeah, but the world of cycling tech often works the other way round. It costs a lot of money to develop new tech, so you want it to get into the hands of the "money no object" punters ASAP. Case in point: Di2.

There were two of those punters at the club race last night. If motodoping becomes a reality I think it'll show up at those ranks before Le Tour.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    There were two of those punters at the club race last night.

With Di2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

el tonto wrote: »
    With Di2?

Yep. On Madones.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Yep. On Madones.

Wow. Never noticed anyone with it before.

i presume testing would be carried out under the presumption of take whatever's in the public domain and add x% sophistication + ability for people to pay y times more. Not overly surprising its being tested for imo, doesn't mean it even exists though :)

It exists and you can buy it. You can buy me one, if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Maybe Mockler had one during that infamous race?

• Advertisement

droidus wrote: »
    Maybe Mockler had one during that infamous race?

No, he was just equipped with a sense of direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

It exists and you can buy it. You can buy me one, if you like.

Link? Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

No, he was just equipped with a sense of direction.

There was quite a bit of high pitched whining going on before and after though! ;)

Link? Source?

Oooh, thank you, Nietzschean http://www.gruberassist.com/english/product/product-description/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

droidus wrote: »
    There was quite a bit of high pitched whining going on before and after though! ;)

Check this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I don't think it is in use - it's too easy to be found, but to contribute to the conspiracy...

1. Noise Debunked! Noise is muffled by the nearby motorbikes/cheering fans/etc. The rider turns it on when there's more background noise. It's hardly like a back-firing motorbike!

2. More Noise Debunked! The pro cyclist just has to try a bit of a sprint to break from the group and once he's 10m ahead, turn on the juice. It won't be heard, if he picks his spot carefully, he'll be cheered like a mad yoke and that would exceed all sound emitted by the jobbie.

3. Weight Issue Debunked! The bike can only weigh ~6.5kg. Ok, put on super super light gear and make the bike weigh 6kg. Fill the seat tube with 0.5kg of motors and speed and there you have a regulation weight bike!

3. Weight Issue Debunked! The bike can only weigh ~6.5kg. Ok, put on super super light gear and make the bike weigh 6kg. Fill the seat tube with 0.5kg of motors and speed and there you have a regulation weight bike!

I'm sure a Specialized Tarmac SL3 with SRAM Red and Zipp 202s coming in at 7kg will raise absolutely no suspicions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

<:-) Conspiracy hat on again :)

How's about they have pieces labeled/branded as standard parts but in reality they're from a lighter brand. A brand combo that would be illegal weight-wise, but has been disguised to weigh up to a legal combo!!!

Advertisement