Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use by date

Options
  • 19-05-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Just wondering would it be okay to eat a chciken sambo i purchased which is one day past its use by date

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I wouldn't myself. The general rule is use by a use by date, whereas best before is just a guideline. If it was another food I might go for it, but a prepacked chicken sandwich is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I basically use everything past it's use by date except meat. Cheese, veg, dairy (if it smells ok) - but not meat. And defo not chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I tend to go with no its its something with a short lifespan. Milk, meats etc only have days so I imagine use by is pretty accurate,

but things that have weeks or months have a much bigger window, eg i had some burger relish that had a use by of 3 weeks after opening, I was happy to push this out a day or two. If its fine after 21 days, its fine after 23 imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Mellor wrote: »
    I tend to go with no its its something with a short lifespan. Milk, meats etc only have days so I imagine use by is pretty accurate,

but things that have weeks or months have a much bigger window, eg i had some burger relish that had a use by of 3 weeks after opening, I was happy to push this out a day or two. If its fine after 21 days, its fine after 23 imo

I use relishes and stuff like that for up to a year after opening and never had any problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Use By Dates are there for a reason.....

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 47 lilka

nope! dont do it...especially meat

UBD's are established under optimum conditions...please dont do it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It realy depends on the relish, some go off, some are laden with vinegar or similar and don't, the best before reflects this

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Chicken is a BIG NO NO..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    eg i had some burger relish that had a use by of 3 weeks after opening, I was happy to push this out a day or two. If its fine after 21 days, its fine after 23 imo
    Some people will read certain labels and follow them exactly, yet ignore other ones. e.g. most people I know do not keep ketchup or brown sauce in the fridge even though they nearly all recommend doing so, but many will keep similar sauces in the fridge, e.g. reggae reggae sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Any sort of meat or dairy product past the use by date is a big no no by me. Now I'll use veggies that are a bit past the use by date as I keep them in the fridge and they are usually grand a few days later.

But meat / dairy, god no. Unless you want to risk food poisoning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The "sniff it" test usually does it for me, I trust my stomach acid to deal with any dodgyness from a 1 day off sandwich. In saying that, surely it's gonna be a bit soggy if it's been sitting about for a few days?

Use by Dates are there because the safety of the food can not be certain afetr the date indicated...where as best before says dates afetr such a date the quality of the product will not be at its best.

I really think people shouldnt be playing a type of Russian roulette with Use By dates.

Advertisement