Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Fenton

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Next personnel insult at Tony Fenton by a user and it's an automatic ban

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

He is a bit dated alright.

Van Morrisson, Lizzy, U2, George Michael are all guaranteed a spin daily.

He is better than any 2fm offering though. It really has become a joke of a station. Jim Jim, Bo Bo, Nip Nop, any jocks have real names on it. Gauls me my licence fee goes to that organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

bbability wrote: »
    Next personnel insult at Tony Fenton by a user and it's an automatic ban

I see you removed my post but didn't correct your spelling. Moderating should at least maintain standards in spelling. It's personal not personnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I see you removed my post but didn't correct your spelling. Moderating should at least maintain standards in spelling. It's personal not personnel.

That's right because I'm a mod and your not.

3 day ban for modding.

Next time a pm would be a better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

bbability wrote: »
    That's right because I'm a mod and your not.

3 day ban for modding.

Next time a pm would be a better alternative.

harsh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Its his games i cant stand, rock n roll roulette its so boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Fuzzy Clam, do NOT discuss moderation decisions on the thread. Keep it to PM's. Off topic posts will be edited and deleted and off topic posters may be banned - as per the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Did I hear him right, think it was last Thursday, where some guy was on the radio telling him about his plans for the weekend.

Turns out the guy was going to a stag night.

And Tony's response was........

"Enjoy it, don't get too Taoiseach'd".

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

only hear todayfm or 2fm if im in a shop or getting a lift but tony fenton only ever seems to play one u2 song - desire. doesn't he have their greatest hits? why doesn't he play another one?

probably twice a year that i hear the show and desire always comes on - cant be a coincidence!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Tony seems to have sorted out the problems with the audio. Don't hear that terrible feedback as often now. Unfortunately the same can't be said about his presentation style or the rest of his cheesy traits.

Last week after the football (Arsenal I think, that lost the first leg badly) he said to the sports reporter "It's a bit of a Heather Mills, innit" the sports guy sounded VERY uninterested but said "What do you mean by that?" and he goes "Pointless second leg HAW HAW HA HA HAW HAW". The sports guy didn't even bother with fake laughter.

I don't like giving out about radio presenters, as they are only doing a job, but he is well past his sell by date.

It's hard to beat Fenton, but Phil Cawley is close. He is filling in today for Fenton. He has just polished off his third link of talking about his twitter account and mentioning his twitter name. He is actually trying to direct listeners there to watch his daughter toilet training. How can he get away with that level of crap radio. Seriously Phil, who the fúck wants to watch a "funny" video of your daughter toilet training?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Fenton, Cawley, Bob Conway & Tim Kelly should be out to pasture by now. Fenton played two Adele songs in an hour last week and he's just done the same today with 2 Kings of Leon songs. <sigh> I mean, c'mon... "Lazy Radio" was Foley's gig was it not?! Also, anyone else pick up on a disdain for Fenton by Ray Foley? On his show, and particularly the 'podcast only' material they always seem to be ripping the pish and having sly digs, all while justifying it due to the fact he's a radio 'legend' and the listened to him growing up? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The pathetic "rhyming slang" is enough to put me off, as well as "Jools" with the news.

Gave up listening to Today FM in the afternoons ages ago.

Can't understand why they don't give Anton Savage a full-time gig - when he fills in for either Darcy or Cooper he's brilliant, with just the right balance of knowlege and cynicism!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

The cockney slang is getting a bit much alright!

Tony: "Hi Mick, thanks for calling!! What are you up to for the weekend?"

Caller: "How's it goin' Tony. I'm off to a wedding tomorrow."

Tony: "Ooh Grrreat - have you got the tin of fruit ready?"

Caller: . . . . . . . "Wha' ?"

Tony: *Loud Fake laugh

He's still a legend though.

he he, sums him up alright, thats just classic Tony.
    Know a lad who gave him a lift on a Friday a few years ago, Tony sitting up front, passed by an ATM and Tony points over with the thumb "hey buddy pull in here would you?, need some Wonga for the Weekend!"

Lovely stuff, almost Partridgesque. I listen every day at work, he's everything that Ray Foley on before him isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anoh77

he he, sums him up alright, thats just classic Tony.
    Know a lad who gave him a lift on a Friday a few years ago, Tony sitting up front, passed by an ATM and Tony points over with the thumb "hey buddy pull in here would you?, need some Wonga for the Weekend!"

Lovely stuff, almost Partridgesque. I listen every day at work, he's everything that Ray Foley on before him isn't.
    Usually catch the last 20 mins of Tony's show, was listening yesterday and he was having a phone-in competition, caller x wins when you hear a certain song played. Comes back on after he played the song, and goes "wow the phonlines went a little Chicken jalfrezi there"....

Partridge wouldn't even think of that one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Stale and monotonous material really. Same tunes every day but then again there's nothing of note really on in the afternoon's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Tony is i suppose a radio relic in a smashy and nicey kind of way. He breaks all the rules of presentation, and harks back to the era when the faux american exaggerated style of power delivery was commonplace. If you were breaking into radio now and copied his style you'd be laughed out of the studio, but Tony has been doing it so long that essentially that is his selling point and people accept the cheesiness, actually someone very similar in style to fenton is Steve K at spin, mr K is eerily similar in terms of delivery and accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Has anyone heard anything about Tony? He's been missing for weeks now. Hope he's ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mondo 088

Synode wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about Tony? He's been missing for weeks now. Hope he's ok

The poor guy is very ill. **** cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Damn, thought he'd beaten it

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Get well soon Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Poor guy , he is very much missed from radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭WexTK

castle2012 wrote: »
    Poor guy , he is very much missed from radio

In terms of being a music dj on Radio you only truly appreciate Tony's qualities in his absence. Of his replacements over the last few months I've been won over by Alison Curtis after years of not being sure. Engaging and likeable presenter who dovetails well with producer Leah (well that's what it comes across like!)

Lets just say there's a sincerity in Tony and Alison's presenting style which is not so apparent in other music djs floating about at present IMO ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Any word on how Tony is doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stephenireland

Thought are with Tony.....one of the radio legends in the same vein as Larry Gogan and Brendan Balfe...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 funny_fecker

always like tony , so what if he had a habit of playing particular songs on a regular basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Hope Tony returns soon. This is the one show he returned for in June and was off again the next day and has been since:

http://www.todayfm.com/player/listen_back/6/12193/09th_June_2014_-_The_Tony_Fenton_Show_Part_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hope Tony returns soon. This is the one show he returned for in June and was off again the next day and has been since:

http://www.todayfm.com/player/listen_back/6/12193/09th_June_2014_-_The_Tony_Fenton_Show_Part_1
    I heard that show. IMO he sounded tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Yeah he sounded very tired that day. Real shame he is so unwell. Don't think it was easy for today fm to decide to change his show. Louise Duffy is taking over the 2.30pm slot from beginning of sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hope Tony is ok. He's a gentleman and what I consider to be a true pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I hope tony gets better very soon. I like listening to him on the radio. His voice has a lovely quality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement