Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poster campaign for heroin addiction in Dublin early 90's

Options
  • 19-05-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,
    When I was alot younger in primary school we went on a school tour to Dublin. I think it was during the early 90's. I remember there were posters all over the city for heroin addiction with pictures of differents addicts teeth and other parts of their bodies.

I would really like to see these posters again. I wonder does anyone know where I could find a copy or a photograph or something. I suppose this would have been around the time of Tony Felloni aswell?

Any other info on the period would be appreciated. Those posters have alot of meaning to me for some reason.

Any info/help appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

irlforum wrote: »
    Hi,
    When I was alot younger in primary school we went on a school tour to Dublin. I think it was during the early 90's. I remember there were posters all over the city for heroin addiction with pictures of differents addicts teeth and other parts of their bodies.

I would really like to see these posters again. I wonder does anyone know where I could find a copy or a photograph or something. I suppose this would have been around the time of Tony Felloni aswell?

Any other info on the period would be appreciated. Those posters have alot of meaning to me for some reason.

Any info/help appreciated.

Didnt one of them have the tagline "hair by Heroin" and a pic of a girl with clumps of hai missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

Degsy wrote: »
    Didnt one of them have the tagline "hair by Heroin" and a pic of a girl with clumps of hai missing?

The only details I can remember is teeth, and possible bright colours used?

I'd like to pin down the period of time they were put up aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Also, 'Smile, You're on Heroin' With gammy teeth. Good ad campaign. I would say maybe 97/98? I remember it from the Dart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

WindSock wrote: »
    Also, 'Smile, You're on Heroin' With gammy teeth. Good ad campaign. I would say maybe 97/98? I remember it from the Dart.

No it would have been before 97/98 anyway. I started secondry school in 97. Unless it was a school tour in 6th class but for some reason I think it was earlier than that. I'd nearly guess 93 or 94?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

irlforum wrote: »
    No it would have been before 97/98 anyway. I started secondry school in 97. Unless it was a school tour in 6th class but for some reason I think it was earlier than that. I'd nearly guess 93 or 94?

Could be then. I just remember that one ad on the Dart, can't remember what age I was. I was in secondary school anyway. Maybe email the drugs taskforce or some other state organisation, they might have more info for you, and pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lilliec

I remember the teeth poster, there was another one of a skin lesion (from AIDS through shared needles) in the shape of Ireland...I saw them in my GP's waiting room when i was younger. I'm sure other GP's would have had them too, maybe somebody will remember who the campaigners were, or if you rang different receptionists they might even remember the name and you could get a hold of a copy that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Sorry to bring back this thread but is there anyone with information about these posters?

Thanks

Advertisement