Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouestions for Irish shooters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wilhelm

guns4fun wrote: »
    I fyou have done any safety courses you would want to copy them and put them with your application because a new licence applicant has to prove competency in the use of firearms before being issued with a licence.
    all else seems to be covered here,,best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Would safety corses only be applicable to restricted firearms? I haven't anything like that, but was an infantry platoon commander for a few years. Would that be considered?

RRPC and Tackleberry, that Offaly MNSCI looks to be the one I would go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

wilhelm wrote: »
    Would safety corses only be applicable to restricted firearms? I haven't anything like that, but was an infantry platoon commander for a few years. Would that be considered?

RRPC and Tackleberry, that Offaly MNSCI looks to be the one I would go to.

You can do all safety courses at MNSCI, It's a one stop shop. Very reasonable rates on bed and breakfast and very close to the River Shannon for some Pike and trout fishing also if that is your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Gruess Dich, Wilhelm, Wilkommen am Board! As they might say in your neck of the woods. (?:))

You're getting some great advice here from the lads - Your own succinct summary in Post #20, I have to say, is probably the shortest, most succinct, and excellent summary of the licencing laws, I've read yet. Fair play / Hervorragend!

+1 on MNSCI as a good range for fullbore and smallbore. The widest selection in Ireland of calibres and range distances catered for there.
    It's about 90 minutes drive from Dublin

Oh, I can be done in 55 minutes too! (At a push and with some nifty driving!):D:D:rolleyes:

dC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

It also appears that the price for a firearm licence is 1000 euros, unless I'm mistaken. Is this per firearm?

You're looking at the fee to be a firearms dealer I think. All firearms certificates now cost €80 per firearm and that covers three years licensing.

Bear in mind the requirement that you have to live here six months before you can apply for a firearms certificate. There is a difference between nationality and residency. I think that the requirement is that you be 'ordinarily resident' for at least six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BornToKill wrote: »
    Bear in mind the requirement that you have to live here six months before you can apply for a firearms certificate. There is a difference between nationality and residency. I think that the requirement is that you be 'ordinarily resident' for at least six months.
    I think you might be confusing tax law with firearms law BTK. There's no residency requirement in the firearms act and indeed any such requirement would invalidate the visitor's permit system (which of course the OP could avail of for the first six months in any case).

• Advertisement

You can do all safety courses at MNSCI, It's a one stop shop. Very reasonable rates on bed and breakfast and very close to the River Shannon for some Pike and trout fishing also if that is your thing.
    You forgot the bog Tack, there's lots of bog, miles of bog, miles and miles and miles of bog... and biffos, miles of bog and biffos, miles and miles of bog and biffos and bog and more biffos...

Lovely place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Fascinating. I've learned quite a bit from you fellows.

So it appears that when I go to Ireland, I join a reputable gun club with the correct ranges corresponding to the firearms I'm interested in. Thereafter, I put a deposit down at a dealer, then go and seek the relevant licence from the Garda.

It appears I may, over time, get a shotgun, but not more than 3 round capacity, in either side-by-side, pump, or semi auto. I may also get a rifle, up to 308 calibre, all in bolt-action, excepting a .22 long rifle that can be in semi auto, but with a capacity of no more than 10 rounds. All handguns above .22 seem to be impossible, with the .22 pistols being allowed with 5 rounds capacity maximum. I may store these firarms at home, subject to me getting a safe and Garda approval. The licences for the firearms will cost about 80 Euros apiece.

Have I hit it on the head?

How hard is it to get a restricted firearm? Such as a semi-auto centrefire rifle? Does the licencing price differ much? What firearms are considered restricted?

I'm going to print this off and frame it! :D

rrpc wrote: »
    I think you might be confusing tax law with firearms law BTK. There's no residency requirement in the firearms act and indeed any such requirement would invalidate the visitor's permit system (which of course the OP could avail of for the first six months in any case).

Maybe, but I don't think I am. There is a residency requirement in section 8 of the 1925 Act, inserted by the CJA 2006:

"8.-(1) The following persons are hereby declared to be disentitled to hold a firearms certificate, that is to say: … (f) any person not ordinarily resident in the State (except a person who is temporarily so resident) for a period of 6 months before applying for a firearm certificate.”

You forgot the bog Tack, there's lots of bog, miles of bog, miles and miles and miles of bog... and biffos, miles of bog and biffos, miles and miles of bog and biffos and bog and more biffos...

Lovely place :D

Miles of Bog where you live too ;) Just Blanket bog
    And Dublin refugees fleeing the dangerous city gangs;)

Lots of Biffo's in offaly, Big intelligent fellows from offaly.
    Folks who know how to live where many a city slicker would die. If it was not for the bog in offaly their would have been No Guinness in Dublin!

For an intelligent man you seem to take offence when the humble culchie encroaches on your posts:D

For an intelligent man you seem to take offence when the humble culchie encroaches on your posts:D
    You couldn't be from Offaly, you're far too sensitive :D

• Advertisement

Maybe, but I don't think I am. There is a residency requirement in section 8 of the 1925 Act, inserted by the CJA 2006:

"8.-(1) The following persons are hereby declared to be disentitled to hold a firearms certificate, that is to say: … (f) any person not ordinarily resident in the State (except a person who is temporarily so resident) for a period of 6 months before applying for a firearm certificate.”
    The way that's phrased, it sounds like a contradiction. You can't have one unless you're resident for six months but you can if you're a temporary resident? :confused: Which you would be if you weren't ordinarily resident...

Anyway, the visitors permit might fill the gap, I just get the feeling the OP already has firearms that he'd like to bring over, so it could work as a stopgap.

You couldn't be from Offaly, you're far too sensitive :D

I am indeed Sir, and proud of it, born bred and will be buried here.

You mistake sensitivity for passion sir. Offaly was invaded by every one from the Vikings to Cromwell, we got them all out, us Biffo's may not speak with a Dort accent but nor do we want too.

The more people try to put us down the better we become.

But we are going very off thread here!!

OP I hope you will ignore these last few posts!
    You will learn over time us Irish are passionate about everything we believe in;)

You do need a lesson in geography though, the Dort doesn't go to Rathdrum :D

You do need a lesson in geography though, the Dort doesn't go to Rathdrum :D

But the accent does go all the way up to parts of Bray Enfield mullingar, Enniscorty, Clonard Rochfordbridge even though the Dort does not ;)
    Now get back on thread;)

The way that's phrased, it sounds like a contradiction. You can't have one unless you're resident for six months but you can if you're a temporary resident? :confused: Which you would be if you weren't ordinarily resident...

Anyway, the visitors permit might fill the gap, I just get the feeling the OP already has firearms that he'd like to bring over, so it could work as a stopgap.

It does sound funny. I think its written like that so as to allow the non-resident certificates, and your earlier post alluded to the potential problems of a cast-iron prohibition on obtaining a firearms cert unless one had lived here for six months. The expressions 'ordinarily resident' and 'temporarily resident' have very specific meanings. You could be ordinarily resident in Ireland and temporarily resident in France at the same time.

The more people try to put us down the better we become.

Why does this come to mind?

The higher you build your barriers
    The taller I become
    The further you take my rights away
    The faster I will run

Why does this come to mind?

The higher you build your barriers
    The taller I become
    The further you take my rights away
    The faster I will run

Something inside so strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm going out on a limb here, but it may be a loop hole to allow "security" from up North pop over for a wee visit to help the "security" down here with sectarian matters, without allowing someone to get out of jail free on a technicality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb here, but it may be a loop hole to allow "security" from up North pop over for a wee visit to help the "security" down here with sectarian matters, without allowing someone to get out of jail free on a technicality?

You would be incorrect,
    a person that fell into the (except a person who is temporarily so resident)
    category would have to apply for visitors firearms licence, with a copy of their domestic firearms licence and a european firearms pass in the case of an EU resident.

In the case of foreign law enforcment, security services etc,
    their carrying firearms within the state outside the confines of their embassy premises, is at the discretion of the Minister for Justice and Garda Commissioner no need for loop holes.

A person not ordinary resident in Ireland and or not coming to Ireland as a temporary visitor to take part in shooting sports, is disentitled, i.e. someone from "whatever country" applying for an Irish firearms licence.

Dvs.

dCorbus wrote: »
    Gruess Dich, Wilhelm, Wilkommen am Board! As they might say in your neck of the woods. (?:))

You're getting some great advice here from the lads - Your own succinct summary in Post #20, I have to say, is probably the shortest, most succinct, and excellent summary of the licencing laws, I've read yet. Fair play / Hervorragend!

+1 on MNSCI as a good range for fullbore and smallbore. The widest selection in Ireland of calibres and range distances catered for there.

dC

Thanks Corbus!!

RRPC, I will not be bringing the firearms I currently own over, as I think it will be too much hassle to ship and re-licence them. I will most likely be starting afresh, regarding job, house purchase, etc. The things we do for love....

I must admit that to me this 6 months residency law appears to state that I may have to reside 6 months in Ireland before applying for my first licence. This seems fine and fair to me, if I have got the right end of the stick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I must admit that to me this 6 months residency law appears to state that I may have to reside 6 months in Ireland before applying for my first licence. This seems fine and fair to me, if I have got the right end of the stick...

It appears to be 6 months before you can be granted the licence. Bearing in mind it can take up to 3 months for the application to be processed it might be worth putting the application in a month or two before the 6 months is up.

Sandy22 wrote: »
    It appears to be 6 months before you can be granted the licence. Bearing in mind it can take up to 3 months for the application to be processed it might be worth putting the application in a month or two before the 6 months is up.

No, its not that its six months before you can be granted a cert, its six months before you are allowed to apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

No, its not that its six months before you can be granted a cert, its six months before you are allowed to apply

Not wanting to pick a row with anyone, nor am I willing to go through 4 pages of stuff above BUT if Wilhelm is from another EU member state, EU laws prevail. SO, what about Maastricht and all the laws about free movement of people, rights to live, to work, etc., etc.????
    Were I in his position(assuming he's an EU citizen) I would apply now for a licence, showing copies of my existing licences from another member state... AND I would bring my guns with me.
    P.

Not wanting to pick a row with anyone, nor am I willing to go through 4 pages of stuff above BUT if Wilhelm is from another EU member state, EU laws prevail. SO, what about Maastricht and all the laws about free movement of people, rights to live, to work, etc., etc.????
    Were I in his position(assuming he's an EU citizen) I would apply now for a licence, showing copies of my existing licences from another member state... AND I would bring my guns with me.
    P.

Although I am ethnically German, with my mother still being a German citizen, I am not an EU citizen. She left Germany after the war due to her family being decimated. My wife of 12 years is Irish and so is our little daughter, so I would qualify under a spousal visa. I think therefor that it would be easier to start afresh. We are selling our house, cars etc, so I might as well do the same to my firearms.

The law, as has been so kindly explained to me by you fine gentlemen, seems to suggest that if I am concientious, law abiding and of good character, I should not struggle to get to enjoy my sport once the reasonable 6 months "bedding in" period has been met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

....... We are selling our house, cars etc, so I might as well do the same to my firearms............. if I am concientious, law abiding and of good character, I should not struggle to get to enjoy my sport once the reasonable 6 months "bedding in" period has been met.

When you are looking for something from someone, always make it easy for them to say "yes".
    I would not throw out my existing licences; bring them with you as copies can be given in with your applications. It will show that you already have been approved in another jurisdiction, even if it is outside the EU. Also, when applying, use your wife as one of your two reference people and write her name "Mrs. Xxxx Yzzzzzz (nee O'Brien) or whatever her maiden name is. Every bit helps.;)
    Best of luck with the move,
    P.

I ask of your patience for a couple of further questions if I may:

Is reloading a common thing in Ireland? In other words, the purchase of primers, propellant, and projectile to reload your used brass via a reloading press, such as a Lee press. Is it legal to do this in Ireland?

A more difficult question perhaps: What would the opinions be here on this board of the most common .22 semi auto rifle in Ireland? The make and model that perhaps is most prevelant. Equally, what would it's best selling or most prevelant bolt action rival be? I'm aware this may not be an easy question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I ask of your patience for a couple of further questions if I may:

Is reloading a common thing in Ireland? In other words, the purchase of primers, propellant, and projectile to reload your used brass via a reloading press, such as a Lee press. Is it legal to do this in Ireland?

Shortest answer is no. It's possible to get the licences to store the components and to reload, but not to import the powder and primers, as they're not available here. So no, you won't be able to reload.
    A more difficult question perhaps: What would the opinions be here on this board of the most common .22 semi auto rifle in Ireland? The make and model that perhaps is most prevelant. Equally, what would it's best selling or most prevelant bolt action rival be? I'm aware this may not be an easy question.

Most common semi would be the Ruger 10/22, most common rimfire bolt will be the CZ 452.

Thanks for the prompt reply, ItWasn'tMe.

So powder and primers are not available or illegal in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Thanks for the prompt reply, ItWasn'tMe.

So powder and primers are not available or illegal in Ireland.

You can get a licence to store them and possess them, but they're not available and you can't get a licence to bring them into the country. It's a perverse and snide way of preventing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Although I am ethnically German, with my mother still being a German citizen, I am not an EU citizen. She left Germany after the war due to her family being decimated. My wife of 12 years is Irish and so is our little daughter, so I would qualify under a spousal visa. I think therefor that it would be easier to start afresh. We are selling our house, cars etc, so I might as well do the same to my firearms.

The law, as has been so kindly explained to me by you fine gentlemen, seems to suggest that if I am concientious, law abiding and of good character, I should not struggle to get to enjoy my sport once the reasonable 6 months "bedding in" period has been met.

Hi Wilhelm
    In Irland ist alles anders als einfach!!!
    If your mother kept her German citzenship in whatever country she moved to,and there is a dual nationality treaty with Germany and defacto then the EU.You can apply for German citzenship,ergo you are an EU citzen and this becomes irrevelant.After residing here for five plus years and being of good chacter you can apply ironically enough, to the Dept of Justice,equality and law reform for Irish citzenship.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement