Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post Lazy Postmen?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

This post has been deleted.

is this an post you are talking about? if it is that makes no sense whatsoever,you got a letter this morning saying you missed a delivery yesterday?

if you got a slip in your door when you wernt there with the wrong time on it then thats easy explain, you werent there,postie left a slip and stuck down the wrong time on it,for whatever reason ,human error etc,point is you werent there, im confused over you getting the letter the following morning tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

barone wrote: »
    with an post you can nominate anywhere you like for that parcel to be sent to if your not there at point of delivery..be it your workplace,or your husbands/sons/daughters ..in fact anyone can claim the item for you so long as you have nominated them to do so..so what you have said above is untrue 100%..
    I'm not looking for my post to be delivered to my workplace/husband/son or daughter, I want it delivered to myself. Not to some depot that suits An Post and no further.
    as for leaving parcels/registerd items at your local post office for collection is a great idea,but its not a new one,it dosent work,all recorded mail must be kept at the main sorting office overnight for security reasons,and logistical reasons..
    Why is this operational issue the customers problem? People are paying An Post to deliver to their door. If An Post are choosing not to deliver because of their operational problems, they should stop advertising their current services and change their slogan to "An Post. In Ireland no-one delivers more post to depots vaguely in your general area".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

HivemindXX wrote: »
    The new sorting centre in Dolphins Barn is hardly in the middle of nowhere. The 19 (for the moment) goes from Inchicore and stops about 100m from the new depot. Incidentally I got a delivery from DPD recently and their depot really is in the middle of nowhere!

Agreed! I live in Inchicore also and am delighted they've moved to Dolphins Barn which is much easier to get to that James' St where you couldn't park anywhere :(

We've been very lucky with our postmen over the years - lovely guys all of them. When they have a small packet for us and there's nobody in they leave it behind the tree beside our hall door! We've never had anything go missing :o

Giving your postman a Christmas tip always helps! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

sure i was waiting on a parcel , post came and gone no parcel , till i noticed in the smallest writing on the corner of me bills ,

"parcel in p.o"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not looking for my post to be delivered to my workplace/husband/son or daughter, I want it delivered to myself. Not to some depot that suits An Post and no further.

Why is this operational issue the customers problem? People are paying An Post to deliver to their door. If An Post are choosing not to deliver because of their operational problems, they should stop advertising their current services and change their slogan to "An Post. In Ireland no-one delivers more post to depots vaguely in your general area".

An post do deliver to your door, what to you expect them to do with your parcel if you are not there??

as i said...if you are NOT at home its hardly an posts fault,the item is paid to be deliverd once. if your lucky they may bring it out again,they do not have too.

how hard is that to understand... if you want it at your door ,be there when it arrives,dont be bitching if your not there,should an post work around you?
    do you think any company would?
    at least an post will make an attemt to deliver,a lot of the others dont bother and send a notice by post for you to collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

as i said...if you are NOT at home its hardly an posts fault,the item is paid to be deliverd once. if your lucky they may bring it out again,they do not have too.

how hard is that to understand... if you want it at your door ,be there when it arrives,dont be bitching if your not there,should an post work around you?
    do you think any company would?
    at least an post will make an attemt to deliver,a lot of the others dont bother and send a notice by post for you to collect.
    Read this very slowly as you seem to be missing the point repeatedly. An Post do not deliver parcels to my home, all I ever receive is "you may collect at xyz depot" messages in my letterbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I was coming home from work at 13.30 one day and had been expecting a parcel, so anyways I saw the An Post parcel van parked 2 doors down from me. I got out went up to him very nicely and asked if he had a parcel for me? He told me yes but I had missed my delivery and would have to wait until 15.30 to go to the depot to pick it up!!
    I pointed otu that I was standing here beside him and eventually after a few minutes of me looking confused and annoying him he very reluctantly gave it to me!

• Advertisement

well my apologies if thats the case,ive never heard of this happening and im with them 14 years,must be a dublin thing, we dont send out slips the following day, unless of course the parcel man cannot gain access to your postbox to leave one i.e,needing a code to enter appartment block etc.. other than that it does not nor would not be allowed to happen where i work,or that ive ever heard for that matter....

you should make a complaint to the head postmaster in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Read this very slowly as you seem to be missing the point repeatedly. An Post do not deliver parcels to my home, all I ever receive is "you may collect at xyz depot" messages in my letterbox.

Have you complained? If you dont highlight poor service they cant do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

well my apologies if thats the case,ive never heard of this happening and im with them 14 years,must be a dublin thing, we dont send out slips the following day, unless of course the parcel man cannot gain access to your postbox to leave one i.e,needing a code to enter appartment block etc.. other than that it does not nor would not be allowed to happen where i work,or that ive ever heard for that matter....

you should make a complaint to the head postmaster in writing.

It's a Cork thing too! Regularly get a slip in the mailbox out at the gate, while I'm in the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

this used to happen when i lived in limerick once i caught him trying to put the slip in the door,i said it to him,he claimed he rang the door bell i know for a fact he didnt and he defo didnt attempt to knock on the door,since i moved out the country the postman has been the nicest ive ever met,if no-one is home he often calls back later that evening with it,extremely nice guy,so all depends on your postman really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Solair wrote: »
    It's a Cork thing too! Regularly get a slip in the mailbox out at the gate, while I'm in the house!

i don't think it is,

got a parcel delivered in Cork (south side) last week, the doorbell rang while i was actually heading in that direction so i took about 2 seconds to get to the front door, as i opened it i saw the postman walking back down my drive with a sorry we missed you slip, when he saw me he went back and got the parcel and gave it to me, so they do carry the parcels on them, they might want to do more then a ring the doorbell and run though...

he also asked me why people build these houses in the middle of nowhere? we are 10 minutes walk outside one of corks busiest suburbs?!?!?

i also don't think he actually realised where he was...he didn't seem to know said suburb was even that close???

in the old place also south side our postman was lovely he used chat away, and it used take us 5 minutes to get to and open our front door, he always waited, so i think it is very postman specific.

most of the ones i have encountered have been lovely and helpful and proud to do their jobs right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

hoodwinked wrote: »
    most of the ones i have encountered have been lovely and helpful and proud to do their jobs right.

Like most things it's the few bad apples!
    The problem is that nothing is done to get rid of these bad apples!
    There appears to be a lack of caring by management.

Like you, we had a great postman for years, really loved his job, was delighted to have a parcel to deliver!
    When he retired his new replacement was totally different!
    Had to put a letter in our mail box to sort him out ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

When I lived in an apartment our postman couldn't be arsed delivering parcels either. He'd just leave a "sorry we missed you" slip - even when we were in and waiting for the doorbell to ring! Used to drive me mad. I complained countless times at the Mail Centre but shoulders were just shrugged. I was advised to leave my number so the manager could ring me to discuss it, but he never did.

Ever since moving to a house and having a different postman, I must say he's brilliant. Super efficient, friendly - a credit to An Post.

I suppose that's the difference between someone who takes pride in his chosen career and someone who, well, can't be arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have to say our postman is quite good. He delivers to my house and also my work.

I had ordered a large hard back book online and he delivered it to me at my workplace as I wasn't at home ealier that day.

He always has a cheery greeting and most days you could set your watch by him!

Advertisement