Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portlaoise- Should I open a Bed store?

Options
  • 19-05-2010 4:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

Help, I'm thinking of opening a Bed store (small) in Portlaoise, cheap rent so overheads will be low, I had been involed in furniture fore a while but recently was let go due to company closing down in Dublin. People say Portlaoise is already over supplied, but I could sell beds cheaply.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

That's a difficult choice, I know of three or four stores that sell beds in Portlaoise,
    They are certainly not reasonable but would the demand be high enough in a small
    county like Laois? Good luck with it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

I hate to be pessmisitic but I don't think would be a good location. There are several long established furniture stores in town at the moment, and I can tell you they're finding it hard to get business.

Location is very important too, one of the abovementioned businesses has found itself isolated after all the other similiar hardware businesses and electronics stores closed down and so now few have reason to go to this store. The rents in some parts of town are unreal and are a scourge on business start ups, but they're naturally good locations.

Alot of people also now make the trip to IKEA in Dublin, or buy from Argos locally for furniture and bedding needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 lee_queenbee

Thanks guys, its just sitting on my arse and getting more into debt with no hope of getting work, wanted to take it into my own hands.. the store is near the Old Dunnes stores.. not great looking but think its a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Your already in debt yet want to open a new store that already has existing competitors in what is a quiet market at the moment?!

I'm failing to see the logic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 lee_queenbee

Fair point, i think most of the trouble is the rent prices, if sales were poor you could still make a wage once your overheads where low...me thinking I'm trying talk myself into it..... thanks for the advise

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Sorry Lee don't think this is a great idea, there's quite a few people that got into this business during the boom when people thought Portlaoise was a commuter town to Dublin, here in Clonminam business park there are quite a few and none seem to be doing particularly well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

DONT DO IT.

Porlaoise is WAY over supplied - and IKEA's only up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Thanks guys, its just sitting on my arse and getting more into debt with no hope of getting work, wanted to take it into my own hands.. the store is near the Old Dunnes stores.. not great looking but think its a good spot.

Hate to say this but a really bad spot too, that road is always bumper to bumper with no parking. Dont really know anyone who goes up to the old dunnes either.
    Also recently been in two of the main furniture/bed suppliers in the town and to say business was quiet was an understatement. Portlaoise/midlands has been hit hard with the current econmic climate, currently(previously) topping the poll with the most sign on on the live register(open to correction on this, can't confirm my source). From working in the town I can tell you that there is f all money around to be spent in furniture stores at the moment.
    Good for you tho on your proactive nature, and good luck with whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Fair play for thinking of ways to get yourself out of debt and having the drive to have your own business, but starting one whilst already in debt is a VERY bad idea. I made the same mistake myself a few years back and it took a very long time to recover, i'll defo do it again some day but I think there should be a pretty simple rule that you don't start a business unless you can afford to run it and afford for it not to make a cent for at least a year. Otherwise, walk away from the idea.

Think about other business options then retail...put your knowledge and skills to use in a sector that doesn't have such high overheads, competition or location requirements.

Advertisement