Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple JSB + Rent Allowance Questions

• 19-05-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

I'm renting an apartment with my girlfriend (just the two of us). We both lost our jobs within a couple of months of each other & are both on Jobseeker's Benefit at the moment. We are thinking about applying for Rent Allowance & I have a few questions.

Firstly, when filling out the form for JSB, I just filled out my own details & not hers. Same with her. I presumed the spouse section was just if you were married, so I left it blank. Now, from reading up a bit about Rent Allowance, I think the social welfare see a couple living together the same as being married, so think that maybe we should have filled out that section of the form. Should we have?

If we apply for RA, then we'll have to tell them we are living together. Is there any consequences to this? Are single peoples benefits different to couples? Could they ask why we didn't fill in the form correctly? Do the CWO's work for the HSE or the Social Welfare? Will they inform them that we are living together (that's if we are even doing anything wrong)? Have they access to each others data? I don't want to apply for something & end up actually losing out on something else. Am I just being paranoid?

Secondly, I see the max we are allowed is €143 per week. Currently we're paying €800 per month, which is about €184 per week. Does this mean they'll ask us to look for a place that is €620 per month? Is it possible to pay some rent from RA and make up the balance ourselves?

Haven't mentioned it to the landlord yet, so don't know what his take on it will be.

That's all. If anyone has any advice on any of the above points, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Not sure if you should have mentioned your gf on the JSB application. Don't think its that relevant for JSB as it is based on your contributions and not means tested.

Just tell them the truth as they are no consequences seeing as you are both on welfare. The CWO's work for the HSE afaik. I think they systems are somewhat linked as the CWO I recently visited was able to tell me that my JSB claim was still pending!

They may ask you to find a cheaper place. When you get RA anyhow there is a minimum that you must contribute yourself €24 I think. Have you checked the welfare site http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx You will have to satisfy other requirements aswell which are on the above page. It would be no harm to apply for local authority housing, costs nothing just a detailed form to fill out.

Best of luck anyway.

Jockey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

CWO's have access to Data on the Dept. OF Social protections systems. Mainly client data and claim data. this is because they are distributing money on behalf of the Dept.

While both parties are on JSB there is no problem, but once one of you "Ben-ex's" and have to switch to JSA, then your income as a couple will drop.

However, the deal is with Rent Allowance, i would explain to the CWO, just like you did here, that you thought the spouse section was for a married couple, not a partner, and ask can you update the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

OmeGar wrote: »
    CWO's have access to Data on the Dept. OF Social protections systems. Mainly client data and claim data. this is because they are distributing money on behalf of the Dept.

While both parties are on JSB there is no problem, but once one of you "Ben-ex's" and have to switch to JSA, then your income as a couple will drop.

However, the deal is with Rent Allowance, i would explain to the CWO, just like you did here, that you thought the spouse section was for a married couple, not a partner, and ask can you update the form.

What does Ben-ex mean? After 12 months of unemployment, you change from JSB to JSA right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

yes. Ben-ex is short hand for Benefit Expired.

When you approach the date for you to have to transfer, you should receive an application form in the post, asking you to fill in and bring to office. Ideally all of this should be done well in advance of your transfer date, so that when it does expire, you switch over to Allowance with no issues.

Advertisement