Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty netbook

Options
  • 19-05-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ill try and keep this short for ya:D

A friend bought a mini laptop from a store in blanchardstown. Main reason for the purchase was that she could surf the net with the aid of a wireless router.

The laptop had not been used until the Broadband company came out to install the broadband ( roughly 5 or 6 weeks ) after purchase. On the first power up, the laptop would connect to the internet but only if I stood 5 feet or less from the router. And even then the wireless connection was showing up as very low. I brought the laptop to another house and the same problem occured.

The second problem was that the laptop would freeze every so often & the only way to fix this was to power off the laptop.

The laptop was brought back to the store and she was informed that the laptop would be sent to England for repair. She insisted that she wanted a full refund. The guy working in the store gave her a receipt which stated ' cash back ' or something to that effect.

In the mean time she bought another laptop which works fine and has no issues. She bought this replacement laptop with the understandiong that she would get her 160 euro refund within 14 working days.

Ok nearly there:o A good 20 odd days had passed since the bad laptop was sent off. When she rang to inquire about the laptop, she was informed that the laptop was sent back with a note stating that an engineer had tested the wireless function and it had no problem. There was no mention on the engineers report about the problem with it freezing:mad:

To make matters worse, she went and collected the bad laptop and left the receipt which stated a ' cash refund ' with some guy in the shop. 2 weeks has passed since this and the laptop is still sitting in a box unused.

SO basically, has my friend any comeback:confused:
    Please ask any questions that might help resolve this.

Regards
    Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If she takes it out again and the same problems occur, then she might have some grounds for a refund.

If, however, the problems are sorted, then I think that she my be stuck with it, as the shop have repaired it in accordance with their legal obligations to their customers.

She shouldn't have bought the new laptop until she new exactly what was happening with the original one. The first shop cannot be held responsible for that.

If she was given a ticket that said "cash refund", then why didn't she get a cash refund? I can't understand why a shop would give out something like that for a repair taken in, or why a customer would accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There seems to be a lot of apathy on her part here, which is not going to help in her get a refund. Getting a receipt with cash back, or something to that effect, is fairly meaningless, and leaving that with some guy, without keeping a copy of it was fairly stupid of her. Since she let them send it for repair, she had accepted that offer and would not be entitled to a refund.

She needs to check if it has been repaired or not, this is all she has to go on. If it has not been repaired, then she should bring it back immediately. Having left it 2 weeks already is not going to help her in convincing the shop that it was returned faulty. The longer she leaves it, the more difficult she is making it for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks for the info, Ill have to see if it connects to the internet when I get a chance & hope it doesn't freeze. I hadnt the heart to ask why she left without the cash refund receipt:o

I guess she done what many would do if they don't know their rights ( panicked & ran ) She mentioned that the sales guy had very bad english & she could bearly understand him. Anyway that's no excuse, Ill have to break the bad news I suppose.

Thanks for the quick response all

Regards
    Rich

Advertisement