Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What gear to wear on a Honda Innova?

• 19-05-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I'm working out a budget for buying my first bike, and I'm just wondering what other Innova drivers use in terms of gear. Should I be budgeting for the full set of helmet, motorbike jacket/trousers & boots, or is enough to get just a helmet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

buy the best you can afford..
    It's as simple as that..

I know it doesn't answer your question fully.. But it's the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

The ground is just as unforgiving coming off an Innova as off a race bike. Granted it will probably be slower off an Innova. As above the best you can afford.

Keep an eye out for Lidl & Aldi stuff, it is fairly good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

agreed..
    Get your hands on the lidl stuff to get started.. Then upgrade whenever you can.
    Bear in mind that there is no vat on helmets in the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Thanks for the replies guys. I did see a nice pair of gloves in Aldi a couple of months ago, sorry now I didn't pick up a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

feet and legs are quite vulnerable, and quite often an area injured most in an off - thought it worth mentioning, as its usually the last bit of gear to be bought (proper boots/trousers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Thanks for the replies guys. I did see a nice pair of gloves in Aldi a couple of months ago, sorry now I didn't pick up a pair.

get yourself onto ebay - you'll find loads of low cost stuff that will get you going, but as said... upgrade as you go on, get the best stuff you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Hi ther,
    Id take a trip out to cotters.
    If you walk in and say you want to fitted out he'll defo give you a decent discount. While the Aldi gear is cheap, it IS rubbish. (certainly the helmet)

Heres a jacket i saw after 10 seconds search,
    http://www.cottermc.com/webshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_199_200_17&products_id=1351&zenid=69ad1604b98dbb4d439b467c5d401d3e
    He will have lots of other stuff in the back for reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tezzy_v2

Yep Cotters is the place to go. There's a map and directions on the website.

Got myself fully kitted out there with good quality gear for €200 - Jacket, Trousers, boots, boots, gloves and helmet. All good quality (and 100% waterproof) Ducchini and Buffalo Gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I would recommend a good jacket preferably with a back protector like an alpinestar.

All there jackets are capable of taking them

http://www.alpinestars.com/RC_Back_Protector/pd/c/170/np/170/p/650164.html

Legs and arms can heal for the most part but damage your spine and you are ****ed.

the built in back protectors arnt worth a feck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Wossack wrote: »
    the built in back protectors arnt worth a feck...

The alpinestar back protector is not built-in it is an optional accessory which is far better than what comes on the standard jacket - that I would say is not worth a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I absolutely feel naked without my back protector. I have a Dainese Wave but this cheaper example is the kind of coverage you need before you can say you wear back protection IMHO.

aye, they need to be firmly strapped to you, there too much movement with the built into jacket ones

a big part of the protection they provide, is to try and reduce over-extention injury (spine bending too far, or the wrong way). Wearable ones from Knox, Dainese, Forcefield etc are what to go for imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

It really funny when ya put on yer jacket without putting on your back protector, i've done it a few times by mistake and it just feels so strange... at least I know i'll never go out without it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I used ride an Innova...loved the thing, never gave me any trouble and was just so so so cheap to run. I thought it was good fun too!

Try not to skimp on the gear, it's the only thing between you and the road. I found myself wearing a jacket with a built-in back protector, gloves, a well-fitted helmet (very important it is correctly fitted, go look that up!) and boots. I used only wear the pants (which I got in Aldi and found to be quite decent up till they ripped at a seam a few months later, no big deal considering the bargain price) on long trips (yes I did some 100 mile days on that Innova!).

Advertisement