Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone clean the Grand Canal?

Options
  • 19-05-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I walk along the Canal every day and its like a tip esp around Ranelagh. Is it ever cleaned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

couldnt agree more with you i've lived in and around the area all my life and never seen any one clean it and if you look over the bridge at rathmines you will see at midday the local drunks and druggies having a punch up along with all the shopping trollies its such a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup, there's a barge boat that cleans it, usually see it once or twice a year doing it. Does be "parked" down at Harolds Cross bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Yup, there's a barge boat that cleans it, usually see it once or twice a year doing it. Does be "parked" down at Harolds Cross bridge.

I have seen that, it just seems to dump the rubbish at the side of the canal. Do they even bother to remove it from the canal.

Those drunks are there everyday, its such a shame the Guards dont do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I think the scum bags who are in and out of the courts (like the prick who was sentenced relating to the murder of the two polish fellas) should be made clean them up.

irishguy wrote: »
    I have seen that, it just seems to dump the rubbish at the side of the canal. Do they even bother to remove it from the canal.

Those drunks are there everyday, its such a shame the Guards dont do something about it.

No they seem to just leave it along the banks of the canal.

Do what about them though? Tell them to move along to another part of the canal? Give them a fin which they won't pay?
    fontanalis wrote: »
    I think the scum bags who are in and out of the courts (like the prick who was sentenced today for the murder of the two polish fellas) should be made clean them up.

He was sentenced today for assault, not murder, get the oul facts straight before you try making a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

No they seem to just leave it along the banks of the canal.

Do what about them though? Tell them to move along to another part of the canal? Give them a fin which they won't pay?

He was sentenced today for assault, not murder, get the oul facts straight before you try making a point.

I wasn't implying he was sentenced for murder but that it was the same case, but I can see how it could be taken that way. Post fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

They are breaking the law, so they could do there job and arrest/fine them. Or they could just handcuff them together and throw them in the canal for all I care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Get some of the "terminally unemployed"(basically those on the dole who simply are not arsed to try and find work for the last 3/4/5 years) to clean it up.

irishguy wrote: »
    They are breaking the law, so they could do there job and arrest/fine them. Or they could just handcuff them together and throw them in the canal for all I care.

Arresting them is pointless, what's gonna happen in the long run except alot of wasted Garda time. And fine them? What good is it by fining people who won't/can't/don't pay the fine? Just more paperwork work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

A load of it always collects at the lock at Portobello bridge, Rathmines. I've also lived here all my life, and it's a tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Was walking by today and thought it myself! Been going by there a good but in the last year or so but it seems espicially bad now!

donvito99 wrote: »
    A load of it always collects at the lock at Portobello bridge, Rathmines. I've also lived here all my life, and it's a tip!

Worse is when they clean it, it does be dumped at Lennox Park part of the canal, smell does be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The Royal Canal at Phibsboro has been cleaned up in the last few weeks under some grant that was given by the council, maybe the council needs money first before cleaning it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You are going to think this is mad.. but. I was talking to an expert on this, he was telling me that the canals in Dublin are the least polluted, there may be more rubbish, shopping trolleys, beer cans etc... but, the Royal and the Grand are the cleanest when they are in Dublin! As you get rural there is less and less water wildlife on the canal because of serious pollutants such as milk, slurry, chemical waste and run off!

Having traveled the length and breath of Irelands inland waterways I have to agree, some rural parts of the canals are dead.

There you go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Inland waterways (as opposed to the coast and the salty type) is under the control of Waterways Ireland (a 32 county organisation). If you see rubbish in the canal then I would highly recommend you send an email to

info@waterwaysireland.org

Alternatively, if you feel strongly enough about it, you could always contact the good people at the IWAI and ask to come along the next time their members are volunteering their time to clean up the canals in Dublin

http://dublin.iwai.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

It's a bit murky at the moment because it's been so hot and close, but there isn't that much rubbish in it.

It's great to see so many barges going by today but did anyone see the barges stuck by the Portobello bridge today? Looked a bit tight!

The lads hanging out at the Portobello bridge seem pretty harmless. They used to hang about under the Luas bridge at Charelmont but moved down to the Portobello a few months ago. I walk by them every morning and every evening and they never give me any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

The barge really only clears the navigation channel , it doesn't remove all the rubbish which finds its way in and gets caught up in the reeds. The reason why the vegetation is left on the bank is to give the creepy crawlies a chance to get back into the water

Advertisement