Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 months lease - will I lose deposit if I leave earlier ?

Options
  • 19-05-2010 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    I've signed a lease for 12 months. Before moving in landlord verbally agreed that both parties can cancel it giving 42 days notice and deposit will be fully refunded (assuming that apartment is left in the same state as on the day of moving in).
    Contract itself does not mention the notice period, it just states 12 months lease time. Can the landlord keep the deposit if I give the notice and move out earlier ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ask your Landlord.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

In theory not only may yiu lose your deposit, but your landlord may be within his rights to look for all outstanding covering to the end of the agreed lease period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

spockety wrote: »
    In theory not only may yiu lose your deposit, but your landlord may be within his rights to look for all outstanding covering to the end of the agreed lease period.
    Not unless the tenant asks him to reassign the lease ot somebody else. If he refuses then you are clear, full deposit returned.

I find a letter requesting a lease to be taken over by a Mr Anthony Stokes and Mr Liam Fagan of Dolphins barn usual results in a refusal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

As mentioned on an existing thread IMO if you have a verbal agreement then withold your last months rent and tell the landlord when you are leaving. You have your deposit back. Doesn't. meet the approval of those who are in favour of landlords retaining deposits but do what you gotta do. Legal requirements are largely irrelevant as they are usually ignored by landlords with impunity anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 crazypole

Thank you for all the answers. I'm not planning to move out as I've just moved in and like the place, however circumstances may change and I may have to leave before the lease end.

My question was - how binding is the verbal agreement. My bad was that I haven't insisted on putting lease ceasing point into the contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement