Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

variable data programmer

Options
  • 19-05-2010 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

hey!

Im looking for some thoughts on the role of 'variable data programmer'. Ive just interviewed for the role and to be honest, going in I didnt have a good idea of what it really was, only that they needed someone who could understand and write SQL, some postscripting, and vb.net.

Interview went very well, but Im just worried that if I got the job, I mightnt know what the job actually entailed!! The company is a web-to-print company who create the mail you end up opening, reading and chucking away. Not a glamourous business, but I need the experience with database work.

The job is entry level, so in house training is provided but I still want an idea of whats what before going head first into it.

So the question, who here has any experience in this sort of thing, and what can you tell me about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If its entry level and you aren't very experienced, then they should know they you will need time to learn stuff. You only really learn by doing it on the job.

I went into a company with very little programming experience, and we develop some very advanced software.....i get on with my job no problem, but my knowledge of the industry is still limited after all this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You should have really found out in the interview - they're as much for the candidate as the company.

If you get offered the job, ask for a detailed job description and everday duties before you take the job, that's fairly standard and should help you decide if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

^^ What P said. Don't worry about not asking in the interview though, chalk it down to experience and next time you're interviewing remember to ask :)

You'll get inhouse training so they'll show you the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

thanks for the replies! obviously i asked in the interview, and now i have a good idea what its about.

Im looking for info from people who may be already in the role or have been, not some one to tell me what the job is.

Advertisement