Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite photographer

• 19-05-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

This has probably been done to death but which photographer really grabs you at the moment? For me it's Todd Eyre who I saw carrying a canon slr in a cafe in NZ and went up to talk to him about lenses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I don't have any 'famous' ones as I like to look at real people on the ground.
    From Pixie it'd have to be GilesK at the moment for pure genius and talent.
    http://pix.ie/gilesk

For humour and he always makes me laugh with his photo titles and shots it'd be Brian.
    http://pix.ie/lechesolara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Never had a favourite, I just like random beautiful images rather than portfolios/works. I need to read more books maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm enjoying some new bill burtynsky books I got recently. And I got pieter hugo's nollywood book a few weeks ago, I love his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I find it hard to check out other people's stuff as I always get envious to some degree. When you're just learning and trying to find your own style it's difficult to constantly see other peoples work as better. I don't want to be "inspired" by anyone - I want to find interesting things in other peoples' photographs but only when I'm confident enough in my own ability to be able to put mine up beside theirs and not cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I don't have any 'famous' ones as I like to look at real people on the ground.
    From Pixie it'd have to be GilesK at the moment for pure genius and talent.
    http://pix.ie/gilesk

I've got to agree with you Janer. I've spent quite a bit of time, enviously browsing his photos. First class. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Personally a fan of Thomas Ruff, loved his portraits. He photographed family and friends, and asked them to look completely blank and expressionless http://www.guardian.co.uk/pictures/image/0,8543,-11404347243,00.html
    They had some on display in IMMA, loved his stuff ever since.

Also Paul Seawrights The Map photos also appeal to me. http://www.paulseawright.info/archive.html

After that its usually only 1 or 2 photos out of most sets that i like..after that i tend to get jealous that i never thought of the idea in other peoples work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Promac wrote: »
    I find it hard to check out other people's stuff as I always get envious to some degree. When you're just learning and trying to find your own style it's difficult to constantly see other peoples work as better. I don't want to be "inspired" by anyone - I want to find interesting things in other peoples' photographs but only when I'm confident enough in my own ability to be able to put mine up beside theirs and not cringe.

I have found the opposite to be honest. Much of what I do has its roots in looking at other people's photographs and working out how they did it.

I came across a dude called Claudio Carpi yesterday whose stuff I quite like. But mostly would have to say Philippe Plisson and Robert Doisneau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I admire many photographers like Tim Rudman, Les McLean and Bill Schwab.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I think my favorite is actually closer to home. She posts on here sometimes, madeline Weber,,, www.calaido.com

Calina wrote: »
    I have found the opposite to be honest. Much of what I do has its roots in looking at other people's photographs and working out how they did it.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean - I learned various instruments by doing exactly that.

I also don't mean to sound arrogant or rude - I just meant that I want to arrive at my own style at my own speed. I'd like my pictures to stand out for themselves rather than be compared to the people I learned from.

It'll be a long time before any of that is relevant though - so, in the meantime, my favourite photographers are the people who post in the Random and Challenge threads here on boards - some are extremely talented but a lot are just starting out, like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Currently spending a lot of time looking at Eugene Richards work, not necessarily because it's work that I want to try and emulate (even in a very limited way), but because every picture has a story in it. In book format, there's more background info to the shots provided, but the pictures do stand on their own.

As said above, Gilesk's work on pixie is astonshing as well. Consistently great photos.

I got a couple of books from the library, one is by a guy called Tom Ang. Anyone rate him?

The other is a portrait book that isn't very good.

Tom Ang has any number of guides to digital photography; they are okay but I prefer Michael Freeman's books.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'm quite liking Patrick Rochon's portrait stuff these days, very unique and experimental
    http://www.patrickrochon.com/portrait/portrait.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I came across John Wolf while browsing the SoFoBoMo website. I love the serenity and atmosphere of his stuff. Beautiful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I'm still madly in love with Eugene Richards. I also recently (thanks to thonda) discovered Viktor Kolar. His documentary stuff is very very beautiful.

For more commercial and portrait stuff I've been to Richard Boll's site a lot recently. Have yet to see his stuff in print though...

I'm doing a portrait shoot next week, and I spent an hour in the national gallery looking at portraits. Going back early next week. For portraits I don't think you can go far wrong in there..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've mentioned this guy a few months back and now he's on his 364th day of his 365 day project so it's nicely fitting to mention him here.

I don't pay too much attention to flickr but when I do it's mostly to tune into this guy and see what he's been up to. His pics are very different to mine and he gives me so many ideas. Not just about photography but life in general and the best idea he keeps reminding me of is: cheer up.

Rich colours, great set ups, smart little stories, intimate, and really touching when you get into him. I was questioned as to whether I was serious when I linked him before. I'm absolutely serious and I'm not on my own as he has a really huge following...and rightly so.

"At home in Salford..." it's Weasteman: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weasteman/

I apologise profusely for the offence I'm no doubt about to cause but Richard Boll is awful. He needs to have his camera taken away from him and his little black book of famous friends destroyed.

humberklog wrote: »
    "At home in Salford..." it's Weasteman: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weasteman/

He's great - lots of fun. The guy is clearly enjoying his photography with zero pretence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i agree, at first glance, looked a bit mneh. but its refreshing to see someone doing photography for the love of it, no technical rules or philosophical meanderings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

this week I've been looking at

Michael Grecco

http://michaelgrecco.com/photography/michael-grecco-photography/

&

Helmut Newton

http://www.helmutnewton.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

In my opinion marco milande is just doing some hot work lately;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'll never, ever, ever get bored of looking at William Eggleston's work

More recently ive been enjoying Greg Crewdson's amazing light setups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

elius wrote: »

His son posts on here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Roy DeCarava's book 'The Sound I Saw' is simply stunning.

Although, maybe that's just 'cos I love jazz...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Stu Forster, Clive Mason, Clive Rose from Getty.

Dan Sheridan of Inpho.

Also a couple of lads who I shoot with to keep me on my toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

So who is it daycent? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

thefizz wrote: »
    So who is it daycent? :D

Neither of the above. He's a daycent chap who posts his own photos. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

If I was going to steal photos, I'd steal ones better than the ones I have up :D

Here is a video of the real owner of that photo talking about it (from about 4:40 in)

http://www.skyarts.co.uk/video/video-digital-photographer-of-the-year/

I'd be grateful if you could all get back to the original topic of this thread.

I spent some time yesterday looking to find out who did the photographs of Leonardo di Caprio for the TAG Heuer ads the other day. Some of those ads are terrific (it was during that research that I came across Claudio Carpi) and I find they were done by a guy called Tom Munro.

I'm not really a fashion/celeb photographer type person but I gather Tom Munro is pretty high profile from what I can see.

I'm interest in both of those two because they produce work I like; not always something I can say about fashion photography.

Any recommendations for really great portrait photographers?

Some of Annie Leibovitz's work is noteworthy although I'm not such a fan of hers. I guess a lot depends on what sort of portraiture you're interested in. Interestingly enough I see a lot of really good commercial portraiture for advertising runs but can't always identify the photographer. It may be worth researching some of the fashion photographers though.

The other thing - and this is probably slightly straying - for the subject of portraits it's also well worth looking at some of the portrait painters from the 19th century, particularly if you're interested in more formal stuff.

Some of the posts from this thread were split off and moved to here.

what style ya after? its a huge area, with such a broad span of styles. personally i like this guy
    very different.

I find theres quite an overlap with fashion these days, so i wouldnt rule out the fashion photographers

• Advertisement

what style ya after? its a huge area, with such a broad span of styles. personally i like this guy
    very different.

I find theres quite an overlap with fashion these days, so i wouldnt rule out the fashion photographers

Will check any suggestion out.

I'm thinking your straight forward portraits, good use of natural light, and different PP styles. I think a face alone can tell a thousand stories. I like good use of shadows, I'm interested in bringing the best in the eyes out and I like soft focus styles too. Not real gone on fashion photography in general, but there are tips to be got from the lighting involved sure.

Just checked that guy's flickr. Some nice long exposure portraits on there. Nice use of light drawing.

Some of the posts from this thread were split off and moved to here.

Well, if you were going to move them, why not move them all instead of unnecessarily deleting some. Why not be even handed and delete the link as well until it's cleared up? And why lock the thread then. It was totally polite and relevant and awaiting a response.

Lets not get back to the "nanny modding" we had a while ago please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Covey wrote: »
    Well, if you were going to move them, why not move them all instead of unnecessarily deleting some. Why not be even handed and delete the link as well until it's cleared up? And why lock the thread then. It was totally polite and relevant and awaiting a response.

Lets not get back to the "nanny modding" we had a while ago please.

I too would appreciate an explanation. Fair enough it was off topic, but it was of far more interest and relevant (IMO) than what was in this thread already. Bearing in mind that there is already a thread on here about stolen photos off flickr.

Some posts were deleted and some were moved to a forum which gets few visitors (I'd imagine), and that thread has now been locked.
    Why not just move them to a new thread here if you must?

Ridiculous.

Actually, by way of an side, no posts were deleted. 12 were moved from here to a separate thread which I closed and moved to a more appropriate forum given that they hosted the images in question.

I'm certain I didn't delete any further posts beyond moving those 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Hugo van Lawick

• Advertisement

Actually, by way of an side, no posts were deleted. 12 were moved from here to a separate thread which I closed and moved to a more appropriate forum given that they hosted the images in question.

I'm certain I didn't delete any further posts beyond moving those 12.

At the very least you should re-open the thread to allow the chap to respond as he has been invited to do. He is a boards member too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

hey guys, lots of people raising this thread with me from the category perspective so i'm reviewing all around.

Hence, i'd appreciate the space to do so without further discussion. I will come back to everyone individually who has expressed concern on the matter.

Just to address the closed thread - It is now in the pix.ie forum and neither a photography forum moderator or myself as category moderator can reopen it. It is up to the pix.ie moderator to do so. If my understanding is correct, pix.ie are following up with the individual as per whatever contacts they have at their disposal.

I've lots of contacts to make on this one, and opinions to be sought, so i'd appreciate the space to do so.

Thanks.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    hey guys, lots of people raising this thread with me from the category perspective so i'm reviewing all around.

Hence, i'd appreciate the space to do so without further discussion. I will come back to everyone individually who has expressed concern on the matter.

Just to address the closed thread - It is now in the pix.ie forum and neither a photography forum moderator or myself as category moderator can reopen it. It is up to the pix.ie moderator to do so. If my understanding is correct, pix.ie are following up with the individual as per whatever contacts they have at their disposal.

I've lots of contacts to make on this one, and opinions to be sought, so i'd appreciate the space to do so.

Thanks.

Sure that seems reasonable.

Just to point out though, I made all my comments in a public forum (none by PM), since transferred to what appears to be a private forum not under the control of boards.

I'd appreciate a reply in that public forum.

This should all be in PM's to the various moderators.

Promac wrote: »
    This should all be in PM's to the various moderators.

Why should it be in a PM. It's a very important and increasingly common topic. Why shouldn't it be debated, in a reasonable manner as it has been, in public. Why hide it?

Right, as my request appears to be generating other debate which is rightly off topic, i'm closing this thread temporarily. I don't wan't any further clean up to be honest.

It will reopen in due course when the issues have been investigated and appropriate contacts made.

Apologies to the OP for the disruption to the thread.

My apologies for disrupting the flow of this; but there's been a lot of reading and understanding (and about 5 hours in the car today...... grrrrrrrrr :))

I've responded (I think) to everyone at this stage - please check your pm inbox. If I haven't hit your inbox and you had a particular query then drop me a pm - it will be an oversight rather than anything else.

In fairness to everyone and for general information as to how to proceed, the basis of all responses i've made so far is done on the direction of the forum's charter which provides specifically for dealing with any moderation issues. Please respect this in terms of going forward.

Right, we're ready to open for business here folks on the purpose of the original opening posting - i.e. "Who are your favourite photographers"

So, with everything else hopefully behind us at this stage, the question in advancing this thread is "Your favourite photographer".

(thanks, and again apologies specifically to the OP for disruptions to the thread)

Agree with ACD lets get the thread back on track.

However the important points raised here should not be ignored or moved to a PM debate as is the case with me at least, against my express wish that my comments and subsequent response are in the public domain. How about moving those to a public debate including the PM's sent that no one will see, so that everyone can assess and evaluate ? Boards should surely be about debate not stifling it?

Anyway back on topic here... Humberklog for me. We should rejoice in what exceptional talent we have here in the forum, so Bravo from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Covey wrote: »
    Humberklog for me. We should rejoice in what exceptional talent we have here in the forum, so Bravo from me.

Agreed. And Covey, you too. And you know I'm not just saying that :P

I was looking through Franks 'The Americans' again the other day. Jesus but that's good stuff there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I really like James Nachtwey's stuff and admire some the things that he had to witness to capture the images.

I certainly couldn't stomach it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement