Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Identity - Online Game

• 19-05-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Hi guys,

I just want to let you all know about a great online football game called Football Identity. Here's the link:

http://footballidentity.com/

It's a role playing game where you create a footballer and train him to prepare him for matches. Here are some of the great aspects of this game:

1) You have complete control of your player on the pitch. You tell him where to move, who to pass to, whether to shoot or try and take on your man etc.

2) The other players on your team are human controlled as well, so you don't have to worry about a robot player messing up a move. And when a human player DOES mess up a move, at least you can give him an earful:p

3) You can only train once a day, so you have to pick and choose which stats you want to train. Do you want to be a lightning fast Ronaldo type or an almost superhuman Essien type?

4) You don't have to be a player, if you've ever fancied yourdelf as a manager, give it a go here. It's slightly tougher than Football Manager 2010 as you're dealing with real people:D If you fancy yourself a writer, you could become a journalist instead, and write about the league, interview players, write reports on matches, whatever you want.

Rather than try to explain the gameplay in detail, take a look at this short tutorial, it'll give you a good idea of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEj0mQV2e-M&feature=related

I stumbled onto this game through a thread in the Webgames forum here on boards. I created my player last December, a striker called Ronan Kyle, and a team in the Irish leage signed me up halfway through the season. We finished 5th that season; but this season we're 4 points clear at the top with 3 games to go. Looks like I'll be getting a raise next season:D

When I joined, there were only 6 human teams in the Irish league, the other 6 teams were bots. Now there are 10 Human teams. We want to get 2 more human teams so that we'll have a fully active league for the start of next season. Fixtures in the Irish league are laid out like this: two matches a week, one on Wednesday and one on Sunday. Kick-off is at 20:45 and matches usually last about an hour and 15 minutes.

Myslef and one of the CB's are the only Irish players in my team, but at least all the other lads are sound. There's great banter between everyone during matches and the game has a lot of depth to it, so you don't get sick of it easily. I'd urge everyone to give it a chance. We want to get a fully active Irish league, so the more people who join, the better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sounds good.

Will give a bash now. Is it me or website really slow to load?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

There's a match tonight at 20:45. Good chance most of the players are online right now figuring out tactics and the like, hence the slow load-up.

Hint: If you do start playing regularly, Google chrome is the best browser to use with it, the matches are smooth and you won't be interupted. I used firefox for my first 3 matches, and sometimes it would freeze, only for a few seconds, but that was enough for me to miss my go so the computer would take it for me. Nightmare:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Alright lads.

I have to say I can't recommend this game highly enough. I got into it from Trophy Manager (which our very own Xavi6 introduced me to) and I just love it now.

It's the first turn-based football game. Ronan's explained it pretty well above but the explanation doesn't do it justice. It's kind of like a 2D version of Fifa Be a Pro mode. But obviously all the other players on your team adn the opposition's team are human controlled too.

There are lots of forums to discuss tactics etc. You have to think like real-life football to be honest, which is why I think everyone here would appreciate it. It doesn't have to take up a lot of your time at all. Two one-hour matches and one minute a day for training and that's it. If you do join up, be sure to tell us who your character is and make your way to the Irish forums there too which are very active and always a bit of craic.

Registration and character creation is really simple. If you're making a footballer I'd advise you to choose SpeedBullet type. You can thank me later ;).

Seriously, give it a go.

We won our match yesterday, and the team in 2nd lost; so we've won the league with two games to spare:D

That should add a nice bit of cash to the transfer kitty.

PS: Thanks for the more detailed explanation nkay1985. Who are you in the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What happens if you can't be online at the time of a match?

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    What happens if you can't be online at the time of a match?

Same thing that happens in real life, one of the other players takes your place. We have a large enough squad to cover people who can't make it (probably the key to our success this year).

If there's nobody there to replace you, your character will play, but will be controlled by the computer instead. Computer ain't the brightest though; I've had a few matches where I couldn't make it and the comp took over my character, came back to see it got me a rating of 4/10:o

A lot of people from here must have signed up because we almost have another full team. Come on lads, only two more defenders needed for a new team.

Then of course more people will be needed for the final team:D...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I signed up there but I am down as a attacking central mid. How do you sign for a team? Do you have to wait to be offered?

I'm an attacking central mid too under the name of Speedy Gonzalez. :D

All the lads in the Irish Forum know about this thread, so they're expecting people to sign up and are looking out for it.

If you want, you can go into the Republic of Ireland forum and put up a post saying you've just signed up and that you are available.

Link to forum:

http://forum.footballidentity.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=86

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I play this game as well and it is great fun. Theres always great banter amongst the team as you can chat with your teammates during matches. If we can get more Irish players and build up the Irish league the game will get even better as the Irish league will get more competitive.

There's been a great sign-up from Boards so far. If a few more sign up I'd say you could have a team made up almost entirely of Boards Soccer forum members. We created two teams from Trophy Manager in Football Identity when we started and it's great craic playing against the rivals when you know them. The same could easily happen with Boards - two Boards teams at each other's throats and throwing abuse around the forums!

Anyone who's signed up care to give some feedback on the sign-up process?

EDIT: I think only one defender is needed and the new Boards team will be created actually. After that we'll be into getting the rival Boards team going. :D

My userid on FID is the same as here. If anybody has any questions, drop me a PM here or over on FID.

One last thing, once your character is created you don't need to go looking for a team to sign you like the welcome messages tell you as a new team with all new Irish footballers will be created so you'll all end up on the same team if you don't sign for a club. This will either happen in the morning or the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I am just about to sign up. Signed up the other day but never created a player but a couple of you have good persuasion skills. Was on Trophy Manager up till about Season 5 when the transfer market went all over the place and it just wasn't that fun anymore so I will stick with this anyway as it looks kind of a slightly similair style.

Any advice on what I should do? I don't mind being a defender (I assume defenders usually get picked up quicker as less people pick them?) Would love to be a striker (Am in real life) But not really bothered :D. Is the site slighty un-user friendly or is it just me not used to it? But I am creating a character any tips from the vets?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Signed up as a Center Half yesterday and am with Team 11 Republic of Ireland.
    How do you go about joining a boards Team ??

As far as I know (Just a noob as well but from reading the forums) Team 11 is basically a Boards Team anyway but their is no official Boards team its just most Boards members joined up during Team 11 so they are basically it.

Although I am sure one of the regular lads will be able to tell you for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

will1977 wrote: »
    Signed up as a Center Half yesterday and am with Team 11 Republic of Ireland.
    How do you go about joining a boards Team ??

If enough new players sign up to fill a team, those players are automatically signed to that team. I think you need 1 goalie, 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 strikers as a minimum. As most of the newest players all happen to be from Boards it will effectively be a boards team that will be created.

The last team that can be created is only missing a few players. They need a goalie, a couple of defenders and a couple of midfielders. There are more than enough strikers at the moment.

I'm a defender in the game and highly recommend the position. You'll be quite busy in games and will get plenty of chances to interact with the ball.

I'm on Team 11 too as an ACM. Takes a while to get your head around the layout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I'm on Team 11 too as an ACM. Takes a while to get your head around the layout...
    Its a little funny at first but they are working on it still. The game itself makes it completely worthwhile though, its one of the most fun games of the type that I have played. Drop me a line here or in the game if you need any help with it, my forum username is boroie over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh I didn't realise I was on Team 11 too, woooot! I'm a Side Midfielder. My players name is Valentine Sutton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'm a side defender for team eleven with the name Juan Kerr.

How do we change the team name? Do we need a manager before we can lay?

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    I'm a side defender for team eleven with the name Juan Kerr.

How do we change the team name? Do we need a manager before we can lay?

There are some managers applying for the job at the moment. When one of them gets the job then he can change the name, colours and logo of the team. He can also sort ye out with better contracts probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm setting up my player now, my username in BazzaIreland, yes I am terrible at picking usernames.:(

This is just a reminder to the new signups to stay as free agents for a day or so. The next game is Sunday night so you dont lose anything by this plus you also get to help create the new team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

just signed up to it.. and was looking forward to gettin a look at it.. but hotmail is down so i cant activate my account :(

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I am just about to sign up. Signed up the other day but never created a player but a couple of you have good persuasion skills. Was on Trophy Manager up till about Season 5 when the transfer market went all over the place and it just wasn't that fun anymore so I will stick with this anyway as it looks kind of a slightly similair style.

Any advice on what I should do? I don't mind being a defender (I assume defenders usually get picked up quicker as less people pick them?) Would love to be a striker (Am in real life) But not really bothered :D. Is the site slighty un-user friendly or is it just me not used to it? But I am creating a character any tips from the vets?

Yes, I've been told I can be very persuasive at times. :P

If you think the transfer market went crazy then you should see it now! I started in Season 11. Season 20 is about to start and the prices between then and now are incomparable. There are still a lot of lads in the game from your time.

Yeah the site is a bit crap at the moment but you get used to it after a coupkle of days. They've spent all their time on improving the gameplay rather than making hte site look attractive to I think that's a good thing myself.

Nice one. Seems there's a load of you on Team 11 as I predicted.
    Harpy wrote: »
    just signed up to it.. and was looking forward to gettin a look at it.. but hotmail is down so i cant activate my account :(

Bad luck. Hopefully it came back up and you've had a chance to check it out.

First games will be on Sunday. You guys at Team 11 will be playing Team 12. If we fill out Team 12 in the next day (which I think we should easily do given the eignup rate from Boards) the two "Boards teams" will play each other in their first games - talk about getting the rivalry started early!

Again, any questions, fire off a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

there are 3 forward positions to be filled and thats team 12 sorted... gon on you know you want to

Team 12 are sooooo gonna beat team 11.

>.>

<.<

baz2009 wrote: »
    Team 12 are sooooo gonna beat team 11.

>.>

<.<

It starts....:D

Yeah lads, three more strikers and you'll all be on the last Irish team and will get to face the other Boardsies on Sunday.

I'm a striker in it and it's probably the most exciting position to play so I think anyone considering it would be wise to give it a go before the slots are gone!

3 more strikers before tomorrow night lads and we'll have a fully active league.

A nice twist of faith that the two new boards teams' first game will be against each other:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

eh... maybe its just 2 forward positions left... Noticed about an hour ago that some had thrown their hat in...

Yeah someone with the username shootersf signed up. I'm guessing it's this guy. We're well on the way.

Sweet, that's even better.

Ah never mind go it :D Sorry. Can't wait for the game on Sunday if we are ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Got signed up to Team 12. Result. But won't be able to play any games this weekend as I will out both evenings! A bit of a George Best really..

Am on Team 12 as well. I should be on Sunday.. Put it this way if I develop a life between now and tomorrow I will let you know :p.

• Advertisement

Team 12 too, such a feeling that we're gonna lose.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I've applied to take over as manager of team 11 with my second character hopefully I'll get it. If so I won't be on line much today as heading drinking but will be on tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah someone with the username shootersf signed up. I'm guessing it's this guy. We're well on the way.

It is :D I created a DM originally as it's my favourite position but seen the team needed forwards. Unfortunately I work most Sundays in a bar so may develop as a super sub ...

im on team 12.. ill be able to play tomorrow evening and wednesday any way.. The next weeks will depend on the days im working...

Love the way we're playing team 11 on sunday its a good way to get everyone into the game..

How do we get a name for our team?? does the manager decide on it once we get a manager?

im on team 12.. ill be able to play tomorrow evening and wednesday any way.. The next weeks will depend on the days im working...

Love the way we're playing team 11 on sunday its a good way to get everyone into the game..

How do we get a name for our team?? does the manager decide on it once we get a manager?

Yeah that's exactly it. Your new manager can decide the team name and that and will get a private forum set up so you guys can communicate whether you're going to be online for matches etc.

• Advertisement

Right lads. Now that we've gotten the 12th team created, I'm wondering if there are a couple more who'd fancy signing up - one as a DC, one as a DMC. The reason I'm asking is that my team Sporting Muff is looking for eager new players. We have a vacancy at DMC and need cover a lot at DMC because of one of the lads' work schedule. So if you are signing up as one of these positions, give me a shout.

Right, full league is sweet, next season wil be interesting.

Both new teams are playing each other tonight. Just a few tips to try and make evrything smoother for ye:

1) If possible, use google chrome. All other browsers are quite laggy when used to play the matches and I never had a problem with Chrome. It's what the majority of the users use to play.

2) To get to the match in the first place, go to the "character" tab. You'll see a box near the top with info like

Next Match: 23/05/2010 20:45 - ***Team Name*****
    Next B-team Match: 24/05/2010 20:45 - ***Team Name***
    Next Team Training: 26/05/2010 ***Time****

Ten minutes before the match is scheduled to start (so at 20:35) the "Next Match" phrase turns into a hyperlink. Click on that and a new window opens where you will play your match.

Enjoy the match lads! And ladies:D

Well done, Team 11.. :(:P

Well done, Team 11.. :(:P

its grand we'll get them next season..

its grand we'll get them next season..

Haha. Glad to see the rivalry starting already! Unlucky Team 12. 1-0 isn't bad for your first game though in fairness. Did you guys have any chances?

Was honoured to be captain of team 11 for our first game.

Great game 12, ye had most of the possession and got forward quite a bit. Next time!

we'll whoop yer asses again :P

yeah i think we had 1 or 2.. we didn't play badly really i thought we did ok for our first match anyway... just have to get used to it.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Haha. Glad to see the rivalry starting already! Unlucky Team 12. 1-0 isn't bad for your first game though in fairness. Did you guys have any chances?

Just the one, we had majority of the possession, though, them damn bots and their long high pass kept giving away possession.

I was almost in for a goal at the end, if I haden't have torn my hamstring ligaments I would have got the ball, probably wouldn't have scored, though.

I don't like how it ends so abruptly.

Was honoured to be captain of team 11 for our first game.

Great game 12, ye had most of the possession and got forward quite a bit. Next time! :P

Well I think you're the type to be pretty active so you'll definitely deserve to hold onto the captaincy. Think about what I said about possibly retiring the character to create one in a new position though. The best positions to play IMO are FC, DC and SM.

I've been an FC for three seasons now and there's nothing like the feeling when you bang in an important goal. Of course there's the other side where you feel like an absolute dick for missing an important chance! All great fun though.

DCs get a lot of the ball too and are probably the most important players on the team. If you're a 'SpeedBullet' type DC, you'll have fun outrunning the forwrads. :D
    yeah i think we had 1 or 2.. we didn't play badly really i thought we did ok for our first match anyway... just have to get used to it.

Yeah it's completely different to anything else really. When you interact with the ball it's hard to know what to choose and how to select it quick enough sometimes but it's really good fun once you stick with it.

Just the one, we had majority of the possession, though, them damn bots and their long high pass kept giving away possession.

I was almost in for a goal at the end, if I haden't have torn my hamstring ligaments I would have got the ball, probably wouldn't have scored, though.

I don't like how it ends so abruptly.

Yeah having btos on your team is a killer but with the managers having taken over they'll be able to get rid of inactive guys and get in actives. Game's really fun when everyone's online.

yeah going by the chat i think there was about five of us playing unless there was people playin that weren't chatting.so hopefully there'll be a few more of us on wednesday..

• Advertisement
Advertisement