Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grady Joinery windows

Options
  • 19-05-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Got a fairly descent price from Grady Joinery in Mayo for some Triple glazed pvc windows with a u-value of 0.8. Has anybody had any experience with these windows and/or Grady joinery. I have been listening to alot of stories from different window companies, some trying to put down their competitors who sell similar spec windows and i'm just trying to figure out whether they're telling the truth or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Got a fairly descent price from Grady Joinery in Mayo for some Triple glazed pvc windows with a u-value of 0.8. Has anybody had any experience with these windows and/or Grady joinery. I have been listening to alot of stories from different window companies, some trying to put down their competitors who sell similar spec windows and i'm just trying to figure out whether they're telling the truth or not.

We were looking for alu clad windows and I have to say that Grady's were fairly competitive. Our builder did a lot of business with them over the years and he speaks very highly of them. The pvc product (and their aluclad windows were pretty good too in fairness) is as good as any on the market but I had my own reasons for not going with them. You can see my rant below!!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055661385

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

Hi mr_edge_to_you, I read your old post. Just wondering whether the second poster in your thread was referring to Grady joinery or Munster Joinery? I'm guessing the latter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have windows, double glazed, from Gradys for the past 14 yrs. I have also dealt with them over the years as part of my work, and I can honestly say they are way ahead of the opposition. They have a super manufacturing facility on the Ballaghderreen side of Charlestown. Now like all manufacturers, they must be affected by the downturn and should now be even more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I got these installed 2 months ago. Tripple glazed and u values of .8. Elegance.
    Love them and am really happy. I am building in mayo and you are welcome to come and see for yourself. They were 50 percent dearer than the cheapest double glazed windows on the market but there really is no comparison there, They were similar to the best price from munster J and 40 percent cheaper than the nearest alternative in aluclad. pm me if you want to see them im more than happy to help and for what its worth i have no affilliation to any window company, just a self builder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tyroneSB

We're in the middle of a self-build, and we need to get windows very soon. I would like to put in triple glazing if possible for maximum energy efficiency or quality double glazing (budget of course a big consideration!). I have some local quotes but I'm not sure how competitive they are overall.

So if anyone would be happy to share any prices for glazing that would be great, especially for Grady windows.

I need about 50m2 of windows.

• Advertisement

tyroneSB wrote: »
    We're in the middle of a self-build, and we need to get windows very soon. I would like to put in triple glazing if possible for maximum energy efficiency or quality double glazing (budget of course a big consideration!). I have some local quotes but I'm not sure how competitive they are overall.

So if anyone would be happy to share any prices for glazing that would be great, especially for Grady windows.

I need about 50m2 of windows.

Well then, why don't you get a price from Grady's. It only took them a day to get the price out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Sorry to bump up an old thread, was searching for something else and this came up. I went with grady joinery charlestown. I got the triple glazed elegence in cream. Quality of workmanship, ontime delivery. clean when they left. And no problems with the windows. Would I recommened them again. Without a doubt. Be carefull , as there is another company in ballinasloe with same name, and people get them mixed up, hence the opinions vary this side at times. They have a guy on the road as well for backup service, and thats really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

i got quotes from many window suppliers , Munster and Grady's level with double glazing , Grady's were cheaper by 1500 for triple in my case , how ever SK windows in newry were €3500 better then both. haven't done much checking out of them , they claim to have a double glazed unit with a value of 1.1 , hummmm . not sure how accurate that can be , Ive requested there certification and will have to see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Got a quote for double glazed windows for a new build the other day around 12.5 k. It was only 1200 extra for triple glazing.....Sounded very cheap.

I went with grady Joinery windows in the end. I'm very happy with them. I recommended them to a friend who also went with them and he was happy too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭uptowngirly

I was up at the self-build show in Belfast today and met Arthur Grady from Grady windows. He really impressed me, must admit. Was honest and full of information! Now, back to planning permission application :p

Quick question - did anyone get their alu-clad windows off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

There are many good guys out there doing windows. When getting U Values just make sure that the U value refers to the glass AND the frame. Further it is very important that they are put in correctly. There must be no draughts around them. For a good job you must tape around all windows and doors. Tape is not cheap but its cost will be recouped very quickly on the energy costs that will not be incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I have Grady triple glazed elegance for over 7 months now, I'd heartily recommend them. I'm still not in the house yet, though :(. Went for tilt and turn on all windows. Can't remember exactly, but roughly €9500. This includes a 5m x 3m glass front with double doors and 2 glass doors to conservatory. Also got 8 windows and door in the garage double glazed for something crazy cheap like €900 extra.

Re: the tape. I got ProClima Contega FC (which has to be plastered in) for €16 a roll in my local hardware store. Each roll is 15m x 85mm so four did the whole house. There is a different tape for roof windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boccy

already posted question re.windows but this thread more relevant as gradys and munster are both qouting similar prices for triple glazed .8 u-value windows but frames are foam filled(for lower u-value).other contender for job (worked with one of them for many years)says reinforcing is vip in frames to stop warping(windows are black on white)but u-value is 1.1 on his(lot less money) .to reinforce or not to reinforce. that is the question.any Impartial info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭newhouse

went with gradys for the windows - not as cheap as munster but better colour - v happy with them (and actually love them!)
    got the double glazed offwhite uPVC, incredible u-value (the triple glazed were v good price but thought they too heavy and unnecessary)
    service not fantastic but they have an excellent product so no hard sell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Have gradys tripple galzed windows in 1 year now and they were excellent. I went direct labour and they have been top notch in their follow up service with no quibble. I work in the service industry and they were the easiest to deal with and fixed all issues even when the warranty was out.
    Top class crowd to deal with .

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Just wondering did anyone get any independent test certs for Grady's windows etc?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just wondering did anyone get any independent test certs for Grady's windows etc?

gradys are WEP registered

sydthebeat wrote: »

Without sounding dumb, what exactly does WEP tell us?

Without sounding dumb, what exactly does WEP tell us?

??

You asked for
    independent test certs

and now your asking what do they tell you ?????

sounds a bit dumb to me. did you actually look up the WEP certs? and if you did, what are you looking for thats not on them?

what EXACTLY are you looking for? or are you trying to make a point?

• Advertisement

I found a link after posting explaining the WEP system with a list of manufacturers. There doesn't seem to be many companies listed on it though.

Just out of curiosity what point could I be conceivably be trying to make?. I just dont know about these things. If I did I wouldn't be posting. Sorry for asking!

I found a link after posting explaining the WEP system with a list of manufacturers. There doesn't seem to be many companies listed on it though.

Just out of curiosity what point could I be conceivably be trying to make?. I just dont know about these things. If I did I wouldn't be posting. Sorry for asking!

i could have picked you up completely wrong Troy, but your last few posts read as confrontational.

why would you post asking what a WEP would tell you, if you hadnt checked it out for yourself?

sydthebeat wrote: »

I asked about WEP because of the above reply.

As for the confrontational part. I am at a loss. I have no beef with anyone. I must be tired and grumpy when posting. All I can say is I am completely unaware of it if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

boccy wrote: »
    already posted question re.windows but this thread more relevant as gradys and munster are both qouting similar prices for triple glazed .8 u-value windows but frames are foam filled(for lower u-value).other contender for job (worked with one of them for many years)says reinforcing is vip in frames to stop warping(windows are black on white)but u-value is 1.1 on his(lot less money) .to reinforce or not to reinforce. that is the question.any Impartial info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Most window companies dont reinforce their frames and TBH if its a regular window with no opening sections then it isnt a problem, the glazing units will keep most of the rigidity anyway. If you have a large window with a large opening section then it makes sense to have a steel reinforced frame, otherwise the window frames will distort rather than warp. Anyone with a pvc door will see how flimsy the material on its own is.

Obviously it costs more to include a steel box section into the frame of a window so in general most companies dont bother, IMO its a building boom shortcut that should never have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

Would anyone know what kind of money I would be looking at for cover the threads and rises on my stairs with Oak. 8.5' high in a U shape.

I asked about WEP because of the above reply.

As for the confrontational part. I am at a loss. I have no beef with anyone. I must be tired and grumpy when posting. All I can say is I am completely unaware of it if so.

my apologies troy, perhaps it was the cynic coming out in me :)

no harm, no foul eh?

No worries Syd, Trying to get things right building this shagging house has lowered my mental thresholds to say the least.

Slig, from those that I see that include metal reinforcement it's more a U shape than a box. I have seen that on the higher end though.

Should buyers be looking at the amount of chambers in these windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

We got 15 triple glazed windows installed by Grady's a few weeks ago, having got 5 quotes from a number of companies, Crittel, Nordan, Munster, Rationel, West. In the end our budget meant going for PVC, plus the fact that the u value is so low.

We dealt with Mick in the Maynooth office, who was excellent on detail and very professional. They also did some custom windows to tie in with some Marvin aluclad we have at the back of the house, again their attention to detail was great. Total cost €8,700

Only thing I hadn't been expecting was getting condensation on the outside of the windows, first thing in the morning! Apparently the insulation is so good on triple glaze that you can get condensation on the outside n winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

hi

just to fully understand...

when you say 15 windows, how many windows are on view in your photos? -- by my reckoning you've got 3 windows but I'm not certain how they talkl about windows in the trade -- is it panes of glass or otherwise.

many thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

There are 7 windows on the front of the house (3 in each bay;))

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement