Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grady Joinery windows

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Ladder22 wrote: »
    We got 15 triple glazed windows installed by Grady's a few weeks ago, having got 5 quotes from a number of companies, Crittel, Nordan, Munster, Rationel, West. In the end our budget meant going for PVC, plus the fact that the u value is so low.

We dealt with Mick in the Maynooth office, who was excellent on detail and very professional. They also did some custom windows to tie in with some Marvin aluclad we have at the back of the house, again their attention to detail was great. Total cost €8,700

Only thing I hadn't been expecting was getting condensation on the outside of the windows, first thing in the morning! Apparently the insulation is so good on triple glaze that you can get condensation on the outside n winter.

Nice Pictures, did Mick point out to you that the upstairs windows, assuming they are bedrooms, may not comply with the Fire Reg's regarding the size of the openings. Certainly the ones on the bay seem a bit small.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭fungirl1

Guys -reading the posts here - there a Gradys joinery from Mayo with an office in Maynooth and an O'Gradys based in Roscommon....which one have you all used - i presume is Gradys and not O'gradys...thanks

Fungirl

• Registered Users Posts: 46,142 ✭✭✭✭muffler

fungirl1 wrote: »
    Guys -reading the posts here - there a Gradys joinery from Mayo with an office in Maynooth and an O'Gradys based in Roscommon....which one have you all used - i presume is Gradys and not O'gradys...thanks

Fungirl
    The thread title is a wee bit of a giveaway ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

muffler wrote: »
    The thread title is a wee bit of a giveaway ;)

Them cows far away are small, the cows near are big Dougal.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sheba re

Hi there,
    We have been getting window quotes recently, for both aluclad and upvc vertical sliding sash. Have to say I really like the upvc sliding sash provided by grades, and they are cheaper than mcmullanodonnell (northern Irish company) who also do really nice windows (saw them at the build.ie exhibition). Anyone gone with mcmullanodonnell company out of interest? At the moment it's between gradys and mcmullanodonnell. Considering the budget, preference is prob gradys. Aluclad out if question due to cost ( quotes between 48 and 52 grand !!) and tbh, don't really get the " anything but upvc" mentality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

We are building in Cork. We are trying to deside on a window company at the moment. 3 of the company's we priced are in Cork, munster joinery, classic, and 20/20 windows. W"e just got a price back from grady joinery and were very impressed at it, I thought they would be the most expensive by far. I like their windows. We will have alot of tall windows and I like the support in the frame. Munster joinery are using a 90mil fram to achieve the same u value as Grady on a 60mil. I know there is all good said about Grady windows on this fourm has anyone expierence of any of the other 3 companies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Trigger007

I'm in the same boat as many on here, pricing round at the moment and between Grady joinery and moloney windows in Wexford, anyone any advice on either. Grady double is 12100, triple is 14100. Moloney double is 11250, triple 16200, Big difference in the two types with moloney. However uvalue of 0.7
    Can anyone tell me if window companies are generally good at matching other quotes? Presume they would be in this day and age.
    Also has anyone ever installed/considered doing part triple and part double? As in triple on north facing etc? Or would it be totally pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭liamolaighin

Some local companies I have approached in Cork claim that their windows are a better bet long term then Gradys & Munster joinery even though they are coming in at slightly higher price. The overall u-value is also slightly higher than both (1.0 or so) but they claim to have vastly superior rubber in their windows + doors creating a better seal which will last for years. Does anyone genuinely know if there is any substance to that argument. I dont want draughty windows in 10 years as it would affetc MHRV and geothermal performance. I have seen all the above mentioned windows and they all look like super windows so I'm trying to distinguish the best long term choice from the rest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

liam, would you mind PM'ing me the names of these cork based sales teams thanks, are these Irish or importing windows? imo where your are going to the expense of triple glazed units, you should be doing an air-tightness test with the windows insitu before the final payment is made to the suppilers. maybe even have them there at the time of the test. also when assessing window units ask suppliers for recommendations from clients that have have done air-tightness testing done and ask for their testers opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

Hi all. I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have noticed talk af diffirent types of windows like PVC and Alum clad. I hope this is not a silly question but I am curious as to which windows would have the best life span as not all window types will last forever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 keru

Some local companies I have approached in Cork claim that their windows are a better bet long term then Gradys & Munster joinery even though they are coming in at slightly higher price. The overall u-value is also slightly higher than both (1.0 or so) but they claim to have vastly superior rubber in their windows + doors creating a better seal which will last for years. Does anyone genuinely know if there is any substance to that argument. I dont want draughty windows in 10 years as it would affetc MHRV and geothermal performance. I have seen all the above mentioned windows and they all look like super windows so I'm trying to distinguish the best long term choice from the rest.

Hi Liam,
    Would you mind sending me PM with the Cork companies you mention?
    Thanks Keru

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Trigger007 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as many on here, pricing round at the moment and between Grady joinery and moloney windows in Wexford, anyone any advice on either. Grady double is 12100, triple is 14100. Moloney double is 11250, triple 16200, Big difference in the two types with moloney. However uvalue of 0.7
    Can anyone tell me if window companies are generally good at matching other quotes? Presume they would be in this day and age.
    Also has anyone ever installed/considered doing part triple and part double? As in triple on north facing etc? Or would it be totally pointless?

I'm a bit late to this but I would love to see the cert for a PVC window with an over all U-Value of 0.7, have you asked for one. There other option for windows in Wexford so have a look and ask for certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 chattycatty

I have dealt with Gradys recently and I have to say I have been very happy with the customers service ,reps and the fitters. The windows were not the cheapest quoted but the quality was good when I compared them and they are certified .8 for triple glaze,I went for triple glaze as their is not huge difference bin cost between double and triple.
    Also competitors will always try to say their product is superior , the best thing is to get a quote and view the product for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kid Congo Power

Hi Gulliver,

I dont have enough posts to PM you but you mentioned that you had a 3m x 5m glass front with double doors. We are currently renovating a house and our extension happens to have a 3m x 5m glass front. We had hoped to go with full height sliders but that is proving problematic. You said you have double doors (with a fanlight I presume). You solution is one we are considering atm (we actually spoke to Gradys at the Ideal Homes exhib at the weekend) but I'd love to get an idea of how it would look in reality. Any chance you might be able to PM me a photo?

Much obliged.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi welcome to boards. Please have a read of the forum charter. Note this thread is 6 years old. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement