Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident in UL This Morning

Options
  • 19-05-2010 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

UL STUDENT IN CRITICAL CONDITION FOLLOWING ACCIDENT
    19 May 2010

A 22 year old UL student is in a critical condition in hospital following an accident on campus.

The final year Business Student, believed to be from County Clare, was injured after he and a number of friends jumped into the fountain beside the Schumann Building to celebrate the end of their exams.

The incident happened shortly before 5am this morning.

He's been taken to the Mid Western Regional Hospital in Dooradoyle, where a spokesperson for the HSE says he is in a critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item.aspx?arti_guid=a9aea766-cbcd-4c3f-a35c-18447f23cd69

This is shocking. I saw a squad car parked next to the fountain this morning up until about 9:30am. He must have dived in head first and it's only 2-3 feet deep at most.

I hope he pulls through ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Jaysus...this is terrible news. Hard to believe a silly thing like that could land someone in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Why are people jumping to conclusions that he dived in, he could have jumped in and slipped, the bottom of the ponds are generally very slippy.

Hope he's ok. It must be a tough time for his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Heard about this accident last night and truely hope the guy will be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Zapho wrote: »
    Jaysus...this is terrible news. Hard to believe a silly thing like that could land someone in hospital.

He could have cracked his skill diving in head-first.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hey folks, please have some tact when posting comments to this thread (friends and relatives may be reading). Don't speculate on what happened until its officially known.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I hope he pulls through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was a bad few days for deaths in the Limerick area.

The lad cutting trees/branches for the ESB who hit a power line and was killed.

The sad story of the four children taken into care as both parents were found dead, one in Limerick and one in Clarecastle, within a few days of the other.

phog wrote: »
    Why are people jumping to conclusions that he dived in, he could have jumped in and slipped, the bottom of the ponds are generally very slippy.

Hope he's ok. It must be a tough time for his family.

Seems that report came from the people who were with him and from witnesses.

Personally I think it is sad that something like this came from a kid just delighted to have finished his exams. Hope he pulls through and never loses the spontaneity that led him to his fluke accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I've seen People do this & some get hurt - You'd be doing well to pull it off without incident really.

- Hope he pulls through - Best of luck to himself and his Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

any news on how this lad is doing?
    very sad, hopefully he'll make a full recovery..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I've heard nothing since the original report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gymsey

Harpy wrote: »
    any news on how this lad is doing?
    very sad, hopefully he'll make a full recovery..

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/University-of-Limerick-student-still.6308948.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How dumb can you be? [..]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »

Its quite common in Sun Destinations in early season actually. Some hotels may not have filled their pools and people jump into the pool in the dark and generally break something, sometimes their necks.

Mr E wrote: »
    Hey folks, please have some tact when posting comments to this thread (friends and relatives may be reading). Don't speculate on what happened until its officially known.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I hope he pulls through.
    How dumb can you be? [...]

What part of my post did you not understand?
    Have some tact.

Gymsey wrote: »

Well where there is life there is hope. With luck his status will get moved from critical to stable soon.

A young kid full of high jinks and relief after his exams letting off a bit of steam.

Would hardly call him dumb for it. He got hurt doing something that had no malice in it, and that is a great pity.

Dumb would be the types who rob cars and get killed driving them or kill others driving them, and then have people bleating on about them like they were angels.

Dumb would be people who set out to inflict misery upon others through violence or robberies.

Dumb would be people from all walks of life who take drugs.

A kid who gets injured in a fluke accident whilst happy would not be dumb in my eyes.

Any time Exams end hundreds of thousands of 3rd Level Students get paralytically drunk and put themselves in harms way through whatever course of inadvisable action seems like a good idea at the time.

- In fairness the water is deceptively shallow and presumably he just wanted to dive in for a laugh with friends.

You should probably edit out your post as sensitivity to friends and family wasn't to the fore at the time......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

While I can understand all the calls for tact and sympathy for the lad, it has to be faced up to that students in general are irresponsible and becoming more of a drain on resources all the time. They're ending up in A & E on a daily basis (fact) through massive abuse of alcohol and other substances. The big problem is the pussyfooting and mollycoddling the current and recent crop have experienced during the tiger years. The get great degrees in all sorts of rocket science etc but, sadly, most have NO cop on!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

He said "FACT"

/ Thread

:D

While I can understand all the calls for tact and sympathy for the lad, it has to be faced up to that students in general are irresponsible and becoming more of a drain on resources all the time. They're ending up in A & E on a daily basis (fact) through massive abuse of alcohol and other substances. The big problem is the pussyfooting and mollycoddling the current and recent crop have experienced during the tiger years. The get great degrees in all sorts of rocket science etc but, sadly, most have NO cop on!:mad:

You're absolutely right, why not go off and create a massive awareness campaign?

- I don't believe you should launch it of this particular platform though.

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, why not go off and create a massive awareness campaign?

- I don't believe you should launch it of this particular platform though.
    Hmm. Your view is interesting. Your beliefs contradict themselves from thread to thread...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I hope he is ok, but it's common knowledge in UL that if you are caught in the fountains you get expelled. Grand he finished 4th year, but he would not have gotten his degree had he been caught. It is very unfortunate what happened to him but partying at 5am in a fountain... it warrants expulsion for a reason.

Hopefully I didn't come off as a jerk. I hope he is ok,

Nockz wrote: »
    I hope he is ok, but it's common knowledge in UL that if you are caught in the fountains you get expelled. Grand he finished 4th year, but he would not have gotten his degree had he been caught. It is very unfortunate what happened to him but partying at 5am in a fountain... it warrants expulsion for a reason.

Absolutely I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. My original comments come from having first hand experience dealing with students recently and is not a pleasant experience. Serious attitude problems. I fear for the future for a lot of them with their attitude of entitlement and recklessness.

Maybe the points being made, valid as some of them may be, about student recklessness and the like belong in their own dedicated thread?

That way the points can be argued and/or counter-argued without being seen as tactless diversions in a thread which is about one individual person who is in a serious condition in hospital.

That way people with points to make and share can do so , and those that want to check on the welfare of the injured kid can use this thread to do so.

Just a suggestion.

Exactly Kess - Problem is that some People are comfortable setting up a Soapbox anywhere once they are suitably confident their opinions are wonderful enough.....

Raiser wrote: »
    Exactly Kess - Problem is that some People are comfortable setting up a Soapbox anywhere once they are suitably confident their opinions are wonderful enough.....

People in glasshouses, Raiser.........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I am not the biggest fan of Raiser but this thread fast decending into a slagging match I think it should be closed and just wish the lad the best of luck in pulling through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Nockz wrote: »

I thought it was only the rememberence fountain by the whitehouse that you got expelled for jumping into?

I think a lot of people are been harsh here, I say a lot of ul students have jumped into the fountains for a bit of a laugh this guy was just very unfortunate.. I wouldn't call him dunmb, he was out for the night with his friends and on the way home they prob made a split second decision to jump in the fountain on their last night in ul for what they saw as a bit of craic.. Unfortunatley it didn't end well, id say students jump into the fountain on a daily basis near the end of the year, this guy just got very unlucky..

I find it very hard not to be very sympathetic towards this guy cause i know that could of just as easily been one of my friends or some one i know ,who got a rush of blood to the head on the way home and decided to jump in and the same thing could have happened.. Hopefully some good will come out of the incident and this story will make other students think twice before they go near the fountains on a night out... Drunkeness and water are never a good combination at all..

campo wrote: »
    I am not the biggest fan of Raiser but this thread fast decending into a slagging match I think it should be closed and just wish the lad the best of luck in pulling through

Well said.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement