Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet giving me a headache?

• 19-05-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've got a BBB bike helmet I wore for the first time today, and when I put it on first, with the adjusters slid out to the maximum, it felt a little tight. After about 30mins, I started to get a headache which has not abated since it started. The helmet is a large and like I said, the adjusters are at maximum, but it still sort of digs into my skull a little at the back and just feels generally uncomfortable.

Since I don't believe my head is abnormally large or misshapen in any way, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do with this helmet to make it a little more comfortable, or would I be better off exchanging it for a completely different make - the bike shop had very little choice, just this or a cheaper make - but I'm thinking that if a large doesn't fit me comfortably, I'm going to have to look into alternatives, but I have no idea what they might be.

ETA: BTW, I did try it on in the shop before I bought it, but literally just put it on my head, felt the tightness and assumed that would abate like a new pair of shoes. I've never gotten a headache from shoes before.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a giro hex mtb helmet which is very comfortable due to the fact that the shell doesn't touch your head, it has a suspended retention sysyem. However it isn't as well ventilated as a road helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a Giro Ionos and where the strap connects to the crown of the helmet is a plastic connector that tends to dig into my skull. Quite sore over long distance but I remedy this by wearing a cap underneath it.

Cycling caps

I would recommend next time trying on as many helmets as possible. Don't go for one brand, price or look. Just pick whichever one fits you best. I think I tried on a Bell helmet a while ago and it just "fit". Unfortunately I already had the Giro at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I was thinking about getting a cap or skullcap to wear underneath it, but I'm sweating enough as it is these evenings :) Like I said, the choice in the LBS was limited to the one I got and an inferiorly priced model (probably same BBB make, everything they sold me was BBB, nothing wrong with that).

There's a shop in town that has a reasonable selection, but I might try that on Saturday, although I was kinda hoping to do something with this first, rather than abandoning it, or hoping that the LBS will give me a credit note or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I have a Giro Ionos and where the strap connects to the crown of the helmet is a plastic connector that tends to dig into my skull.
    I thought I was the only one ! Had a Giro for a while with the same problem. I tried cutting bits off the plastic piece but didn't improve things. It was killing me, even with a cap, so I gave up and got a Bell Sweep instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't wish to light the blue touchpaper of the helmet debate, but you could always not wear one if you find that your head overheats. In my estimation, having a clear head (not overheated) is more important than the relatively slight protection helmets afford.

It sounds as if you want it for commuting, rather than off-road cycling or such like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

corblimey wrote: »
    I've got a BBB bike helmet I wore for the first time today, and when I put it on first, with the adjusters slid out to the maximum, it felt a little tight. After about 30mins, I started to get a headache which has not abated since it started. The helmet is a large and like I said, the adjusters are at maximum, but it still sort of digs into my skull a little at the back and just feels generally uncomfortable.

Since I don't believe my head is abnormally large or misshapen in any way, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do with this helmet to make it a little more comfortable, or would I be better off exchanging it for a completely different make - the bike shop had very little choice, just this or a cheaper make - but I'm thinking that if a large doesn't fit me comfortably, I'm going to have to look into alternatives, but I have no idea what they might be.

ETA: BTW, I did try it on in the shop before I bought it, but literally just put it on my head, felt the tightness and assumed that would abate like a new pair of shoes. I've never gotten a headache from shoes before.

This is a regular enough problem I see with Helmets, its very hard to tell somebody that their head is bigger than "Medium" also some people , while their heads aint mongo, they just dont seem to fit some brands.

Sometimes companies have different large sizes. Giro goes to 63cm whilst Bell only goes to 61cm. What size in CM is yous OP? It is written inside the helmet :)

The Helmet shouldnt sit tight on your head, and definatley shouldnt cause a Headache, it only takes a little pressure on th eadjusters to cause a headache due to their location at the back.

kona wrote: »
    Sometimes companies have different large sizes. Giro goes to 63cm whilst Bell only goes to 61cm. What size in CM is yous OP? It is written inside the helmet :)
    It claims to be 58-63cm which I assume is based on the position of the adjusters
    kona wrote: »
    The Helmet shouldnt sit tight on your head, and definatley shouldnt cause a Headache, it only takes a little pressure on th eadjusters to cause a headache due to their location at the back.
    Yeah, from everything I'm reading online about the problem, I should barely even know I'm wearing a helmet if it's the right fit.

Since I want to go for a ride tonight after the LBS has closed, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and see if the place in town has any helmets that fit my grotesquely misshapen skull and hope that the LBS will refund me or let me exchange it for something else entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I find that whenever I get a new helmet I can get headaches for the first couple of weeks. After that it's as if my head gets used to it and the headaches stop.

cantalach wrote: »
    I find that whenever I get a new helmet I can get headaches for the first couple of weeks. After that it's as if my head gets used to it and the headaches stop.

A couple of weeks? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

This helmet is the wrong size for you..... the adjuster should be generally at centre position when placing helmet on your head initally and then adjust to fit snug against you head still with an option to tighten a bit more if required.

Change it or get a refund if you can and buy a lid that fits as described above...period.

• Advertisement

Went out at lunchtime and picked up one in town, an Abus something or other. Just wore it out on my very first 20k, the mutt's. Cheers!

Advertisement