Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Club Finances

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

50% of the debt between 2 out of 20 of the clubs.:eek:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the better UEFA introduce a rule that manages clubs who play in European cups can only have a certain limit of debt, or something along the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Not so much a limit on debt but a limit on credit debt can be used effectively to build stadi etc as long as its done properly using credit to pay wages and transfer fees shouldn't be alowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not so much a limit on debt but a limit on credit debt can be used effectively to build stadi etc as long as its done properly using credit to pay wages and transfer fees shouldn't be alowed.

Ye that's what I was leaning towards, didn't explain in properly. Conditions need to be in place, something along the lines of the LoI plan, where clubs can only spenda percentage of their income on wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd go with a debt to turnover ratio, whether the credit be used for stadia, wages or otherwise, and further whether if it comes from sugar-daddies or credit institutions.

End of the day it doesn't matter what the club uses it for, if they are loaded with debt that isn't sustainable by their present turnover they are punching above their weight and essentially cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

"debt is the road to ruin"

so ****ing true

as a utd fan im really worried, with the raise in interest rates, its so down heartening to see a club that didnt need a sugar daddy to buy top players from a club who's barely able to attract the big players

that's how i see it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Bring in a rule saying that you are not allowed to use debt to buy a club.
    If you can't afford to buy a club without borrowing, you shouldn't be buying a football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bring in a rule saying that you are not allowed to use debt to buy a club.
    If you can't afford to buy a club without borrowing, you shouldn't be buying a football club.

Most obvious rule ever. Shocking it doesn't exist. The FA and Premier league are running scared of the clubs, constantly bending the rules etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Interesting that Liverpool's wages are on a par with Arsenal's when so many on here claimed they weren't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They weren't. They are after the last round of players signing new contracts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have to laugh at how they have Chelsea as being 726 mil in debt which is untrue.

The debt was turned into shares by a holding company which RA owns.

The holding company owes him the money so Chelsea dont owe RA anything in monetary terms.

Cant believe how much Man U are paying back on interest,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

They weren't. They are after the last round of players signing new contracts.
    Probably wont happen but contracts and be negotiated on a year one year off basis. Gerrard had his contract upgraded during the summer and the return from him wasn't great.
    Responsibility is on players to honour those contracts by giving their all on the pitch and Gerrard didn't do that.
    Spiralling wages a big problem with a lot of these clubs. Doesn't seem to be any attempt to keep them down.
    Sooner or later, the penny will drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

50% of the debt between 2 out of 20 of the clubs.:eek:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the better UEFA introduce a rule that manages clubs who play in European cups can only have a certain limit of debt, or something along the lines.

I'm a United fan, and I'd love that. It might force the Glazers to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

"Chelsea Football Club has released a statement today (Wednesday) following media stories on club finance.
    The statement reads:
    'Contrary to media reports today, other than a small residual balance Chelsea Football Club and our parent company Chelsea FC plc are debt free and do not owe any money to our shareholder (Fordstam Ltd). Neither do we owe any money to Roman Abramovich."

Chelsea are debt free so I don't know where they pulled that 726 million figure from. Abromovich wrote off the debt completely earlier in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Lukker- wrote: »
    "Chelsea Football Club has released a statement today (Wednesday) following media stories on club finance.
    The statement reads:
    'Contrary to media reports today, other than a small residual balance Chelsea Football Club and our parent company Chelsea FC plc are debt free and do not owe any money to our shareholder (Fordstam Ltd). Neither do we owe any money to Roman Abramovich."

Chelsea are debt free so I don't know where they pulled that 726 million figure from. Abromovich wrote off the debt completely earlier in the year.

not really, read this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/19/roman-abramovich-chelsea-loan-debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

event wrote: »

The club statement was a response to that article..

Chelsea owe nothing to their primary holding company Fordstam ltd, thus are debt free.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2055740,00.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Er, since when have Arsenal had higher turnover than Manchester United? - nevermind, just realised that a good chunk of that is a one off in property development.

I wonder how accurate that is - the financial figures of clubs can be notoriously difficult to gauge, there tends to be an awful lot of creative book-keeping. Some of the wage as a percentage of turnover figures are shocking - Burnley, 118%! Wolves, West Ham and a few others aren't much better. Chelsea's 80% makes a mockery of their talk of breaking even too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lukker- wrote: »
    Chelsea owe nothing to their primary holding company Fordstam ltd, thus are debt free.

sleight-of-hand-generic-300p.jpg

Advertisement