Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Limerick city

Options
  • 19-05-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

I am so pissed of right now,words don't even begin to describe my rage!

I scratched my parking disc today for 2.25 as this is the time it said on my car clock. I came back two hours later to find a €60 fine given to me at 2.20. For f*cks sake,its not my fault the wardens watch and mine are 5 minutes out. She/he must have got me the moment I left my car.

I started using street parking because the car parks around the city centre are so damn expensive. Parking is the one thing that really puts me of shopping in Limerick,and one of the main reasons I go to the Crescent. I love going into Limerick city centre,and it saddens me to see the city so quite,but its sh*t like this stupid parking fine that will put people off going into the city centre.

Please can someone tell me which is the cheapest car park in Limerick as I'll be damned If I pay Limerick city council for on street parking ever again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

you should argue that one with the City Council. Probably won't get anywhere though.

You're right though. Parking in Limerick is a disaster. While it serves some function to keep some kind of order in the city, I think it's mainly a revenue making exercise for the Council.

No idea what the cheapest car park is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I got a parking fine for €40 the other day - I was smiling cause it was basically about 8 years Parking for €40 without ever having to queue up for stupid discs or bother with the new ParkRobYa system.

It is also payable from my Laptop whenever the mood takes me (within their 28 day limit) so is a really convenient and very cost effective way to pay.

- You also get the satisfaction that you are not rewarding Limerick City Council for mismanaging our City and bringing it to its knees with every successive dumb step they take - it works out at about 10 cents a week :D

Just avoid the main parking streets/areas like Pery Square, Catherine St. etc. and don't leave it there excessively long - What would ya be doing in Limerick City for more than 30 mins anyway?

- If you get away with it 20 times then you've started saving money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paul101

Panda. If the price on the ticket was 60 euro then it was not a ticket for no paying for your parking. 60 euro tickets are used for no valid tax disc and possible for other things that parking payment. If the ticket was issued 5 minutes before the time you had scratched the parking disc then your clock or watch must have been a good bit off

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Like Paul implied, parking fines for no valid parking disc are still €40 in Limerick. If it was a €60 fine, I'd carefully check what the notice says on the ticket if I were you.

sceptre wrote: »
    Like Paul implied, parking fines for no valid parking disc are still €40 in Limerick. If it was a €60 fine, I'd carefully check what the notice says on the ticket if I were you.

I think €60 fines are for having your tracksuit tucked into your Ugg Boots :D

- Joking - No, what Sceptre said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Paul101 wrote: »
    Panda. If the price on the ticket was 60 euro then it was not a ticket for no paying for your parking. 60 euro tickets are used for no valid tax disc and possible for other things that parking payment. If the ticket was issued 5 minutes before the time you had scratched the parking disc then your clock or watch must have been a good bit off

Oh yeah its cos my tax disc is out of date :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Raiser wrote: »
    I got a parking fine for €40 the other day - I was smiling cause it was basically about 8 years Parking for €40 without ever having to queue up for stupid discs or bother with the new ParkRobYa system.

It is also payable from my Laptop whenever the mood takes me (within their 28 day limit) so is a really convenient and very cost effective way to pay.

- You also get the satisfaction that you are not rewarding Limerick City Council for mismanaging our City and bringing it to its knees with every successive dumb step they take - it works out at about 10 cents a week :D

Just avoid the main parking streets/areas like Pery Square, Catherine St. etc. and don't leave it there excessively long - What would ya be doing in Limerick City for more than 30 mins anyway?

- If you get away with it 20 times then you've started saving money.....

Hmm, I can see your point, you're too tight to pay for parking, but yet want Limerick City to magic up money from somewhere to pay for services. You want a nice city centre, but don't want to pay anything towards it, unless you actually think much of your tax money actually goes to the various local authorities?

It's a typically Irish attitude, and one that actually keeps gombeen men from Fianna Fail in power because they know every corner to cut to get someone a medical card etc rather than just telling people "Listen, you'll have to pay for that"

I live in a Sea of thousands of nondescript Houses without a park, a slide, decent facilities or any social/recreational infrastructure of any kind.

I'm watching Limericks next regeneration project unfold around me in what should be an average Suburban environment and its sickening.

I gave up on Limerick City Centre years ago - When circumstances force me in there I suffer the rubbish, the Scumbags and the bleak air of depression before getting out as quickly as I can.

I owe that City nothing.

I'm also unwilling to take responsibility for the rampant corruption in our Political System that you have kindly bestowed in me (?) - Nice leap there !!!

:P

I live in a Sea of thousands of nondescript Houses without a park, a slide, decent facilities or any social/recreational infrastructure of any kind.

I'm watching Limericks next regeneration project unfold around me in what should be an average Suburban environment and its sickening.

I gave up on Limerick City Centre years ago - When circumstances force me in there I suffer the rubbish, the Scumbags and the bleak air of depression before getting out as quickly as I can.

I owe that City nothing.

I'm also unwilling to take responsibility for the rampant corruption in our Political System that you have kindly bestowed in me (?) - Nice leap there !!!

:P

You know the best way to improve an area? Don't look to others to fix it, get involved yourself. If you want there to be pitches, start a community games, get kids playing sport, get the parents to lobby the council for pitches. If you want to set up a sports club, do so. Every club in Ireland exists because at some point someone said "you know, it'd be class to have a soccer/GAA/rugby/tennis/etc club here, I'm just the person to set one up". If you want a youth club, organise, fund-raise, get it going.

I know such enterprise is harder than whining on an internet messageboard, but I'd also reckon it's more rewarding. Who knows, they might even name a pitch after you when you go to your great reward.

The point about Limerick isn't whether you owe it something or not, you want to use a service there, you have to pay for it. When you use the service, then you owe for it. I know, I know, we pay enough taxes already, but very little of it goes to various local authorities.

Even though I dislike 99'er's politics (for example) I do admire the fact that he gets out there and gets involved, he knocks on doors, he tries to make a difference. Do you ever think you could make a difference?

You're not wrong - But unfortunately your rampant idealism and my unbridled cynicism cancel each other out absolutely :p

- Anyway I'll be doing well if I get the grass cut before the weekend is over......

• Advertisement

You're not wrong - But unfortunately your rampant idealism and my unbridled cynicism cancel each other out absolutely :p

- Anyway I'll be doing well if I get the grass cut before the weekend is over......

I know where you're coming from, but if you want to add value to your house and make your area a better one, what I said above is the way to go.

Let's be honest, unless you intend to found the next Nemo Rangers, some things can be started easily. A community games is easily done, you get to know your neighbours, etc. If you want to live in an actual community, set about building one yourself.

I'm not an idealist, I just realise that the only way things get done in Ireland is by trying to do them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Traffic Wardens really should have no power to fine someone over a tax disc being out of date. The should stick to traffic. If you met a guard on the road and your disc was say, a month out of date, he/she would most likely let you off with a warning. Another fcuking money making scam by the council.

grenache wrote: »
    Traffic Wardens really should have no power to fine someone over a tax disc being out of date. The should stick to traffic. If you met a guard on the road and your disc was say, a month out of date, he/she would most likely let you off with a warning. Another fcuking money making scam by the council.

Damn right, my disc was only a week out of date and I just hadn't had time to go in and get a new one. I didnt know that traffic wardens had the power to get us for that sort of stuff?!

Im just going to go back to giving my money to some faceless car parking boss,cos its not worth the hassle parking on Limerick streets again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are two seperate offences around motor tax:
    1. Not displaying a valid current motor tax disc on your vehicle.
    2. Not having valid motor tax for your vehicle.
    I'd say you got done for no.1. I think the Gardai are the only ones who can issue a fine for both offences whereas a traffic wardon can only issue a fine for no. 1 but open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

In fairness not having time to get tax disc is a bit pathetic. If for instance, your disc expires at end of March, you don't have to get new one until end of April - so was your disc over the expiry date or was it over the extra month's grace you get?? Also, you can apply and pay for it on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

You don't have an extra months grace. It's a myth based on Garda discretion. Traffic wardens are ruthless when it comes to tax. They will ticket you on the 1st of May if your tax ends on the last of April.

In fairness not having time to get tax disc is a bit pathetic. If for instance, your disc expires at end of March, you don't have to get new one until end of April - so was your disc over the expiry date or was it over the extra month's grace you get?? Also, you can apply and pay for it on-line.

I dont have a credit card to pay for it online.

Also If your working monday to Friday 9-5 its very difficult finding the time to go into Limerick county council which is only opened 9.30 to 3.30 Monday to Friday. I finally got it done last week when I had a day off. I've no problems with the gardai fining me for this. But the parking attendants in Limerick,its got nowt to do with the little feckers. Also the upkeep of a car is massive,€60 is pretty pricey for something as inoffensive as a couple of weeks out of date tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

foinse wrote: »
    You don't have an extra months grace. It's a myth based on Garda discretion. Traffic wardens are ruthless when it comes to tax. They will ticket you on the 1st of May if your tax ends on the last of April.

why does the reminder notice state that you can apply up to the end of the following month so?

Also, you can do it by post too - or don't you have a cheque book either? I'm not being smart but the reminders come in plenty of time even if you didn't notice it on your window sticker. How can it be nothing to do with the parking attendents either - surely it must be in their remit otherways they wouldnt' be able to issue the tickets!!! I just wish the parking attendants would give out tickets for double parking, yellow parking, blinker parking - they merrily turn a blind eye walking up william street at the double parkers with their blinkers on, but will check the times on all those who have purchased and scratched off the parking disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

if this is about parking in limerick city and the vigilance of traffic wardens, then would they mind telling taxi drivers stop parking on the fucking pedestrian crossing near the bottom of is it roches street? and stop parking out so far as to almost enter the yellow box behind them! if the rank is full, then they should be made to move on and find somewhere else to park, and not be endangering pedestrians and other motorists lives with their sense of entitlement behaviour! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

xsiborg wrote: »
    if this is about parking in limerick city and the vigilance of traffic wardens, then would they mind telling taxi drivers stop parking on the fucking pedestrian crossing near the bottom of is it roches street? and stop parking out so far as to almost enter the yellow box behind them! if the rank is full, then they should be made to move on and find somewhere else to park, and not be endangering pedestrians and other motorists lives with their sense of entitlement behaviour! :mad:

The feckers are always at this on William St, just outside the Meteor shop. The pedestrian crossing is often completely blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 elfanch

hello,

I'd like to know if night street parking is free (and safe...) around Limerick train station.

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

elfanch wrote: »
    hello,

I'd like to know if night street parking is free (and safe...) around Limerick train station.

thanks,

I wouldn't

elfanch wrote: »
    hello,

thanks,
    I wouldn't

Simple answer is no - Foregone conclusion is that it will have its glass smashed be, ransacked and burnt out, maybe not the first few times but definitely at some stage..... Anyone that tells you otherwise has simply been lucky so far.....

There hasn't been a Garda in the vicinity on foot since 1976 and there was reportedly a serious assault 150 metres from Colbert Station where the ERU simply drove off after sounding the siren a few times resulting in someone being left critically injured in Hospital.

- Perhaps use a private Car Park with lots of CCTV - They'll quote you for longer term parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elfanch

Thanks for the advice… I will spend only one night in Limerick, may be at the railway hotel, but not sure they have a private car park. And my problem is that I have a van, and all CCTV car parks may have a height limitation (the van is around 2.6m high…)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement