Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City Make £20m Offer For Milner

• 19-05-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

On SSN right now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I know its just an opening bid but they will really have to do alot better than that.

Degag wrote: »
    On SSN right now.

And it starts....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That much ought to buy him really.

I reckon they'll end up paying 25M straight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is he that much better than Stephen Ireland?

Not the player to get them into the top four imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Can see Villa holding out for €30m. They're not exactly short of money themselves and they know that City have it to burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Wouldn't be surprised if Stephen Ireland was used as an exchange in a deal.

Can see Villa holding out for €30m. They're not exactly short of money themselves and they know that City have it to burn.
    Exactly, and if he impresses at the WC, that will increase his stock further.

I think S.Ireland could be included in whatever deal there is.

I also feel this transfer saga could be dragged out over the summer.

Whuh?

Sell-to-buy or free transfers is Martin O'Neill's mandate for the summer...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Milner might be wise to stick with Villa anyway - for a young guy he's been to alot of clubs and in fairness has always looked good but he's had a season and a halfish of brilliant football now - I just feel SWP transfered at a similar-ish age and maybe another season or 2 of kicking on from where he is now could help.
    On the other hand money and playing with some of the world stars may be too hard to turn down, but back to the first hand the managerial merry-go-round at City that has potential to be common place isn't going to help him either.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Whuh?

failure.jpg

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    failure.jpg
    Our ambitions to get better remain and we are not in some sort of mode in which we are shutting the door on spending on players. But to say that alone would be misleading. I think there's a sell-to-buy policy in nearly every organisation on the planet. I think it's good business

Que?

Whuh?

Doubt it, Randy Lerner is going to finance him to some degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Whuh?

Ya right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Not sure about this one, good player but not one that would take us to the next level, especially not at that kind of money.

James Milner is in the top 5 English players IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

JPA wrote: »
    James Milner is in the top 5 English players IMO.

Poor indictment of english players tbh.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Poor indictment of english players tbh.

James Milner scoffs at your opinion.

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Not sure about this one, good player but not one that would take us to the next level, especially not at that kind of money.
    Surely the transfer fee will have zero impact as to whether he's the type of player that would take City to the "next level".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think he would be a very good signing for them but I agree with mayordenis that it might be wise for him to stay at Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Manchesters answer to Real Madrid. Where are all these midfielders going to play? I know.... midfield, but they all ready have a bag load of players who will expect to be first choice in the centre of midfield. Then they have two or three options on each wing. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Que?
    Originally Posted by Randy Lerner
    Our ambitions to get better remain and we are not in some sort of mode in which we are shutting the door on spending on players. But to say that alone would be misleading. I think there's a sell-to-buy policy in nearly every organisation on the planet. I think it's good business

No sell to buy. Cheers for the quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Milner's a sensible enough lad from what I know of him, I reckon he'll hang on for a bigger club or realise City is barely a sideway step from Villa at the moment and stay where he is.

Enjoying the Villa defensiveness in the thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

People here don't really seem to appreciate the current problems at Aston Villa. Their net debt this year increased by about 45%, from £72.3m to £97.7m (if we include post-balance sheet loan notes from Randy Lerner to the club). Not massive in it's own right, but a huge mountain of debt for a club whose wages to turnover ratio (90%) is (I think) the highest in the league, and probably one of the highest in football. Essentially, 90% of their income (prizemoney, sponsorship, match tickets, everything) is eaten up by player's wages.

The only thing in Villa's favour is that the brunt of the debt is owed to Lerner's own companies, rather than banks. However people here seem to be suggesting that Villa are minted and that Lerner is bankrolling the club, which just simply isn't the case.

Make no mistake, Villa have taken a gamble (putting up huge wages to attract players to propel them to the CL) and it hasn't worked. Villa's costs, while not quite out of control just yet, are a very slender margin away from it. To stay in control of the situation, Villa will need to make a net profit on transfers this summer. If they don't do this, and their income takes a hit for whatever reason, they will be in huge trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Neil, are you totally ignoring the next sentence where he says to do EXACTLY what you did, would be misleading? before stating that he thinks the sell to buy model is a good one & its one thats in every organisation on the planet?

Columbia wrote: »
    People here don't really seem to appreciate the current problems at Aston Villa. Their net debt this year increased by about 45%, from £72.3m to £97.7m (if we include post-balance sheet loan notes from Randy Lerner to the club). Not massive in it's own right, but a huge mountain of debt for a club whose wages to turnover ratio (90%) is (I think) the highest in the league, and probably one of the highest in football. Essentially, 90% of their income (prizemoney, sponsorship, match tickets, everything) is eaten up by player's wages.

The only thing in Villa's favour is that the brunt of the debt is owed to Lerner's own companies, rather than banks. However people here seem to be suggesting that Villa are minted and that Lerner is bankrolling the club, which just simply isn't the case.

Make no mistake, Villa have taken a gamble (putting up huge wages to attract players to propel them to the CL) and it hasn't worked. Villa's costs, while not quite out of control just yet, are a very slender margin away from it. To stay in control of the situation, Villa will need to make a net profit on transfers this summer. If they don't do this, and their income takes a hit for whatever reason, they will be in huge trouble.

But you could say the same about Chelsea and no one bats an eye lid about them.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Neil, are you totally ignoring the next sentence where he says to do EXACTLY what you did, would be misleading? before stating that he thinks the sell to buy model is a good one & its one thats in every organisation on the planet?

Seems to me to be a sell to make way for buying scenario, i.e clear a wage to allow another player to take up a position in the squad.

I think what he is saying is that there is a certain amount to spend but anything other than that would have to be financed by selling players.

That pretty much contradicts Keane who said he could only buy players if he first sold them.

Though you're absolutely spot on about needing to cut back on the wagebill, I wouldn't worry about the debt levels. That's just money Lerner's invested in the club and funding a business with debt is just a far safer and more tax-efficient way than funding it with share capital.

Lerner bought the club for under 70m, then the additional 90m makes 160m total input on his part so far. The club is easily worth more than that if he were to sell up in the morning.
    Mr Alan wrote: »

No, I'm not ignoring that sentence at all, because the very next sentence out of Lerner's mouth in that press-conference was:
    "On the other hand, if opportunities arise in which the net number of sell-to-buy doesn't equal what is required to take advantage of an opportunity, then you may spend the money."

The key concern for Villa's outgoing transactions this year is to reduce the wagebill. MON doesn't need to sell to buy players, but he does need to trim a lot of expensive fat at the club.

But you could say the same about Chelsea and no one bats an eye lid about them.

Roman Abramovic recently wrote off most of the money owed to him by Chelsea, and their wage/turnover ratio is 70%. Still way too high by normal business standards, but nowhere near as crippling as Aston Villa. Also, Chelsea are winning trophies, so their revenue streams are increasing. They're not in difficulty right now, at least judging by the figures we know.

Roman Abramovic recently wrote off most of the money owed to him by Chelsea, and their wage/turnover ratio is 70%. Still way too high by normal business standards, but nowhere near as crippling as Aston Villa. Also, Chelsea are winning trophies, so their revenue streams are increasing. They're not in difficulty right now, at least judging by the figures we know.

Ya but Villa are in absoultely no trouble with regard to debt. There is no need to sell to raise cash or anything like that.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Though you're absolutely spot on about needing to cut back on the wagebill, I wouldn't worry about the debt levels. That's just money Lerner's invested in the club and funding a business with debt is just a far safer and more tax-efficient way than funding it with share capital.

Lerner bought the club for under 70m, then the additional 90m makes 160m total input on his part so far. The club is easily worth more than that if he were to sell up in the morning.

Indeed, as I said the current level of debt shouldn't be a problem for a club of Aston Villa's stature, but a year-on-year increase of the level they're currently at is going to be unsustainable soon. Cutting the wage bill is primary for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

flahavaj wrote: »
    Milner's a sensible enough lad from what I know of him, I reckon he'll hang on for a bigger club or realise City is barely a sideway step from Villa at the moment and stay where he is.

Enjoying the Villa defensiveness in the thread though.

I couldn't agree less. City are a team on the up and a very exciting project for any young player to get involved in.

What bigger club is he realistically going to play for?

Arsenal? Never.
    Liverpool? Struggling.
    United? The balance of power is shifting in Manchester.
    Chelsea? Possibly, but i don't see it happening.

If i was him i'd jump at the chance to play for City.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I couldn't agree less. City are a team on the up and a very exciting project for any young player to get involved in.

Arsenal? Never.
    Liverpool? Struggling.

City are the last place I'd go if I was a young player.

Ask Steven Ireland how being at City has helped his development this season.

Arsenal? Never.
    Liverpool? Struggling.

He's already playing for a bigger club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I would of imagined united or Chelsea would be his favoured choice if he was to leave villa as they both have champions league football and could afford him although I don't think either would pay 20+ million for him.

Arsenal? Never.

Do go on...

• Advertisement

He's already playing for a bigger club.

Historically, yes. But so what? City will be challenging for the league within the next 5 years at most. Will Villa?

As for Stephen Ireland, if he's not considered good enough, thats too bad. Not everyone can make it, but if you have ambition and believe in yourself then shoot for the stars.

Or you could stay at Villa...

Historically, yes. But so what? City will be challenging for the league within the next 5 years at most. Will Villa?

As for Stephen Ireland, if he's not considered good enough, thats too bad. Not everyone can make it, but if you have ambition and believe in yourself then shoot for the stars.

Or you could stay at Villa...

Maybe in five years time he should consider moving to City then........

mayordenis wrote: »
    Do go on...

Wenger would never sign Milner. Simples.

Why don't you just look back into your crystal ball and tell us! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Do go on...

I imagine that's due to arsne's spending policy although I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement

Maybe in five years time he should consider moving to Villa then........

If he hasn't made it at City then yeah, it's worth considering.

If he hasn't made it at City then yeah, it's worth considering.

Haha ninja.........

Wenger would never sign Milner. Simples.

Ah thats completely fair, I thought you were saying never as in Arsenal would never be a bigger side

This thread is actually gas. A slow night at a tabloid sports news station prompts a desperate story from nothing that has sparked trench warfare on a bulletin board, no different I'd suspect to countless other boards across the net.

We football fans really need to get lives... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

City are the last place I'd go if I was a young player.

Ask Steven Ireland how being at City has helped his development this season.

Adam Johnson flipside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

EI111 wrote: »
    Adam Johnson flipside

Minus Lescott, Bojinov, Richards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ireland and 20m will do kplztksbai

Ah thats completely fair, I thought you were saying never as in Arsenal would never be a bigger side

No, i can't project that far. I can only tell you what is likely to happen in the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

£20million for an average plodder like James Milner? The world's gone nuts.

Helix wrote: »
    ireland and 20m will do kplztksbai

That seems modest, £30 mill, Ireland, maybe Tevez.

• Advertisement
Advertisement