Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City Make £20m Offer For Milner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Been reported Aston Villa have rejected the 20 mil bid.

Dont know if thats old news, disaster in here in work trying to keep up to date.

A.Villa press release stating hes " not for sale, the club are building a team to mount an assault on the champions league spots and selling our core players is not part of that plan"

According to BBC website.

I still think a 30mill offer would make them sweat a fair amount....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Much comedy on this thread keep it up.

I can see Milner becoming Villas first 100k a week player if he's gonna be staying past the summer at VP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I think Villa will hold out for about £28m and then Milner will go with arms open. MON will then look for another English player to replace him as the thought of signing someone that doesnt speak fluent English scares the sh1t out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

City ready to bid 25 million and united also joining the race for his signature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think United should stay out of this now tbh.

I think like others, if City bid 30m, Villa will start to cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think people are a bit deluded if they think Milner will refuse to move to City. I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes for it. City are a far more attractive prospect for a player then Villa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think people are a bit deluded if they think Milner will refuse to move to City. I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes for it. City are a far more attractive prospect for a player then Villa.

The guy did not want to be at Newcastle but he didnt push anything he just kept preforming to his best on the pitch and eventually got out of there the 2nd time Villa agreed a fee with Newcastle for him, what would make you think that he would kick up a fuss about moving to City when he is currently happy, playing everygame and developing really well, its just not very Milneresque :p. Money isnt as big a driving factor for a player who doesn't have an agent and instead lets the FA represent him.

Its all about how much City really want him though as despite the fact that I dont think he will push for the move should a bid be accepted he then might consider where he has the greater chance for success and although he may not be a guaranteed starter in all games at City (as a Villa fan it isnt easy to say but) City would be more likely to win things in the next few years. But how high will City go for Milner, are they really going to pay near 30m? as much as i would not like to see it id fully understand such a bid being accepted especially if someone like Stephen Ireland perhaps moved to Villa as part of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Spot on, Bounty Hunter. He might still move to City, I don't know, but people don't seem to be taking the player into account in all of this.

Anyone discussing Milner and his possible motivations should probably read this profile or something similar first. He's ambitious but he thinks about things a bit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

:eek:

LINK
    Milner uncertain over Villa future

Soccer: Soccer: James Milner is content to put his club future on hold until after the World Cup but admits he does not know if he will still be at Aston Villa next season.

Milner insists he is focused 100 per cent on helping England achieve glory in South Africa.

But the midfielder is in demand after an outstanding season, with Manchester City tabling a €23million bid yesterday for the 24-year-old which was instantly rejected by Villa.

Milner has two years remaining of his current deal at Villa Park which he signed when he made a club record €14million switch from Newcastle in the summer of 2008.

He is due to hold talks over a new contract but is adamant his priority is helping Fabio Capello's side in South Africa - assuming he is part of the final 23-man squad.

Milner said: "Do I expect to be at Villa next season? I don't know. I've worked as hard as I can and concentrated on club football while the season has been on.

"Now it has finished, I'm focusing on England - and that's the only thing I am focusing on.

"The speculation about my own future is not distracting. There are always going to be rumours about every player in every club when the transfer window opens.

"To be linked with any clubs is flattering but I'm just concentrating on England at this time.

"The season finished at Villa a week and a bit ago and we all said we would discuss it (my future) after the World Cup.

"I've enjoyed my time at Aston Villa, it's a good club, we've had a lot of success this season, came close in two competitions, and we are moving forward."

Capello recently described Milner as "the future" for England and he has made great strides this season at Villa after being switched into a central midfield role by manager Martin O'Neill.

But the PFA Young Player Of The Year is determined not to rest on his laurels.

He said: "It is nice to hear praise from any manager but it is then down to you to prove that correct and drive on again and try and improve again.

"You can't stand still especially with the competition that is about. You just want to become the best player possible and do as well as you can every time you train or play a game.

"Have I improved? You would like to think you've improved every season and I am lucky enough to be working at a good club with a great manager and staff and some very good players.

"There are some very good players here with England and, if you can't learn anything from playing with those sort of players, you are going to struggle.

"I'll just keep playing as well as I can and hopefully force my way into the 23."

Milner is the most capped player for England at under-21 level but knows the World Cup will be an extra step up.

He said: "The World Cup is the biggest competition you can play in. The whole world is watching.

"As a player, you want to play against the best players, test yourself, and play in the best tournaments, whether its the Champions League or World Cups.

"Every player is desperate to get on the plane to South Africa and prove themselves on the biggest stage."

Milner poses his biggest threat as an attack-minded midfielder but is ready to drop anchor and fill the void left by the more defensive-orientated Gareth Barry if his former Villa team-mate is ruled out through injury.

He said: "Whether there is a role for me in place of Gareth is down to the manager. If he asks me to play there, I'll be prepared to play there.

"I've played there most of the season. I'm happy there, there is no difference to playing there than with your club. I'll be happy to play there."

Barry did not travel to Austria to train with the rest of Capello's 30-man provisional squad this week, instead remaining at Manchester City for treatment on his ankle.

The 29-year-old is pleased with his progress and remains hopeful of making the cut for South Africa.

Barry told City's website, [url]www.mcfc.co.uk:[/url] "The treatment on my ankle has been going well - I've been having regular sessions with the medical staff at Carrington, and they are pleased with how things are going.

"It's too early to assess just yet as to whether I'll make it, I'll just have to keep having the treatment and see how things go over the next week or so.

"But I'm feeling positive still and the medical staff are being brilliant - they are doing everything they can to help me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    :eek:

LINK

He's made some very predictable comments, nothing new in that interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Chelsea were already in the Champions League. City weren't. Absolutely massive ****ing huge ginormagantuan difference.

When City get into the CL, i'll be worried about them. Until that point, they are about as interesting as Villa to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha, i was just about to post up how i think it's a nailed on certainty Milner will be a Villa player next year at the very least.

if those quotes are true, then there's real hope for his suitors.

Any player involved in speculation will say they don't know if they will be at the club next season simply because the club could be the one that decides to sell. There are no certainties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not exactly the sound of someone dying to stay at Villa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i think a lot of people are picking up on how a lot of this comments are in the past tense and assuming a lot he says nothing to indicate he wants out and says that as was planned he expects to sit down with Villa and discuss his future after the World cup. the end of the bits where he is using the past tense is the most important imo
    "I've enjoyed my time at Aston Villa, it's a good club, we've had a lot of success this season, came close in two competitions, and we are moving forward."

we are moving forward, is not in the past tense, it is him looking to the future after talking up how he has enjoyed his time and how things have gone thus far and sure he isnt stupid enough to in the media rule anything out he can leave that up to Villa if they wise. With a player like Milner thankfully it is up to the clubs to decide if one wants him enough to pay what the other would demand for him befoe he will get involved in if he will move anywhere or not. Until tyhen he will only say positive things about his own club and any potential suitors whom he will try to avoid talking about specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Villa are a selling club though, we seen the same with Dwight Yorke and Gareth Barry.

As good a player as Milner is, he's replaceable especially if Ireland and a giant wad of cash is involved which could be used to invest in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

He's not all that great anyway sure hes only English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness, if he wanted to stay at Villa, he would've said that-could've just said that he hopes to be there next season. he is open to a move obviously.

• Advertisement

only 2 years left on his contract, anyone bidding over €20million is mental.

Who said €30million? :eek:

Fúcking hell, he's a good player but he's no Fabregas.

Smegball wrote: »
    Villa are a selling club though, we seen the same with Dwight Yorke and Gareth Barry.

As good a player as Milner is, he's replaceable especially if Ireland and a giant wad of cash is involved which could be used to invest in the squad.

That is 2 players in 12 years. I would consider a selling club to be one which is happy to buy players young, improve them and sell them for profit.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness, if he wanted to stay at Villa, he would've said that-could've just said that he hopes to be there next season. he is open to a move obviously.

He's going to be negotiating his new contract, he doesn't want to weaken his position.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    only 2 years left on his contract, anyone bidding over €20million is mental.

Who said €30million? :eek:

Fúcking hell, he's a good player but he's no Fabregas.

He's no Fabregas indeed, Fabregas should cost about £50 million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Guardian article was saying that he's currently on £45k p.w. at VP and that City were willing to offer £90k p.w. Given cutting the wage bill seems to be a priority at Villa I suspect that Villa might end up being tempted.

Guardian article was saying that he's currently on £45k p.w. at VP and that City were willing to offer £90k p.w. Given cutting the wage bill seems to be a priority at Villa I suspect that Villa might end up being tempted.

I don't think the wage bill is all that relevant in relation to Milner, considering he is going to discuss a new contract, no doubt a wage rise included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

JPA wrote: »
    He's going to be negotiating his new contract, he doesn't want to weaken his position
    Exactly. So he could've just said he hopes to be at Villa next year, ie-if they gimme the money i want, i'm happy to stay.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Exactly. So he could've just said he hopes to be at Villa next year, ie-if they gimme the money i want, i'm happy to stay.

No, by letting it be thought he's open to moving he will hope to get offered a better contract. If he says he hopes to stay and is sold, the club look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

If he has any ambition and belief in his own ability he will leave. The money is just an added bonus.

It's not like he's a local lad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    If he has any ambition and belief in his own ability he will leave. The money is just an added bonus.

Either way he's still in the Europa League.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Either way he's still in the Europa League.

Yeah, absolutely. But you have to consider who is more likely to improve in the coming seasons. Villa or City? It's a no brainer for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There is more to it that that. He's openly come out and said before that he's enjoying his time at villa and that having the stability of having the same manager for a number of seasons has helped him. That was something that he was missing before and is something that he can't guarantee at city.

matrim wrote: »
    There is more to it that that. He's openly come out and said before that he's enjoying his time at villa and that having the stability of having the same manager for a number of seasons has helped him. That was something that he was missing before and is something that he can't guarantee at city.

That's a good point but that's more in relation to him making the transition from prospect into a player touted to be worth over 20 million - which i think is ridiculous by the way. At those prices he should be good enough to do the business irrespective of managerial changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

chelsea after him now for £30m apparently

id rather £20m plus ireland personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Doubt Chelsea are actually in for him, probably just trying to drive the price up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does everyone go along with the idea that all good players should try to move to the biggest and best clubs to show their ambition?

Is it not ambitious to try and win things with your current club?

Should a modern professional even be overly concerned with winning things? Should it not be enough for him to play to the best of his ability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Does everyone go along with the idea that all good players should try to move to the biggest and best clubs to show their ambition?

Should a modern professional even be overly concerned with winning things? Should it not be enough for him to play to the best of his ability?

Don't forget, ambition aside, money talks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ush1 wrote: »
    Don't forget, ambition aside, money talks.

Well, yes, that's more or less what I was driving at.

Personally, I would not feel bad about joining a company who would win fewer awards or sell fewer products than my current one if it meant a good pay raise. My family and myself come before the good of my employer; is it unreasonable for professional sportsmen to have similar values?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Milner to City: CONFIRMED
    Born in Kendal, Westmorland, Milner started his career with non-league Netherfield. He moved up the leagues by moving to Manchester City in January 1989, Milner was given experience of life at a leading Football League club but had not made any appearances when he was snapped up by Rochdale 12 months later for £20,000.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It's not really possible to help a bad club win. Look at Le Tissier.

Realistically, the team with the most money will win, because players will seek out the highest wages in the long term.

Well, yes, that's more or less what I was driving at.

Personally, I would not feel bad about joining a company who would win fewer awards or sell fewer products than my current one if it meant a good pay raise. My family and myself come before the good of my employer; is it unreasonable for professional sportsmen to have similar values?

Sport is about winning - that is what all the top sportspeople have - the drive for being the best and winning trophies. Almost all top players in their prime wont move just for the cash if the club isnt showing any ambition in actually winning trophies (btw there will always be 1 or 2 mercenaries that have no ambition). They are getting paid ridiculous amounts of cash anyways but they still want to win. Of course cash is a primary concern but its not like Kaka is going to move to Man City when he can go to Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's not really possible to help a bad club win. Look at Le Tissier.

Realistically, the team with the most money will win, because players will seek out the highest wages in the long term.

Nail on the head.

Man City might not be on top now but they will be eventually. Very rich spending clubs won't hover around below for that long. Look at all the foreign players suddenly coming to England, wasn't for the weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Ush1 wrote: »
    Nail on the head.

Man City might not be on top now but they will be eventually. Very rich spending clubs won't hover around below for that long. Look at all the foreign players suddenly coming to England, wasn't for the weather!

I always thought it was for the gritty romance of declining Northern cities. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Whats this crack about Milner going to City to win things? Villa came closer to winning trophies in the season just gone by then Man City have in the past 30 years ffs.

This is the 3rd Summer in a row Man City have been spending heavily with nada to show in return so far in terms of achievements (bar not getting relegated, a traditional city cause for concern) so Milner knows full well what exactly he might be buying into in terms of future unknowns.

As seems obvious from his statement and reading in between the lines from newspaper reports Milner will wait to see what Villa have to offer him, if Lerner offers a paltry pay rise then he'll be off i wager but if Villa are willing to pay top dollar then he'll stay, nonsense about City more likely to win things are pie in the sky until it actually happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I like Milner, I rate him quite highly but I can't see him making a marked improvement to City. At Villa he's allowed to control the midfield, he won't be given that at City. At best he'll play in a rotation system with the rest of City's ridiculous amount of midfielders (not to mention any more that they'll sign this summer!).

I think Milner should stay for another season or two. That way people can see if his form is sustainable or whether it was just a flash in the pan. He burst on to the scene at Newcastle but was very inconsistent and personally I feel Villa took a huge risk in signing him for the price they did.

Yes he's young and will undoubtedly learn new things as he develops but moving to City is very much like moving to Real Madrid right now. It's an unstable environment where you need to provide immediate results on a weekly basis. Any sort of weakness shown and you're history. Then where would he find himself? Back at Newcastle (no offense intended) maybe and his career starts all over again.

I think he should commit for another season at least. Even if it's just to pay Villa/MON some respect for what they've done. He's in no rush. If he's that good the offer will still be there come summer 2011. There's so much to learn about Milner yet. Whether he can perform on big stage (World Cup may show this) and what exactly his best position is - people used to think it was wing but now he's performing well in the middle.

What I find the most distrubing thing about this transfer story is the bids that are being mentioned. Once again it's a case of an English player being priced at way over the odds. Not saying that he's not talented, he really is, but £20m/£30m?! If Fabregas is rumoured to be leaving for £35m/£40m then in theory that's putting Milner near the same bracket, not a chance! Lescott, Smalling, Ferdinand, Downing, Franny Jeffers etc. Even Rooney to some extent. Yes many prove their worth eventually but when you consider what you could get abroad for the same money it's ridiculous. The English market is so inflated and the new home-grown rule is just going to make this worse.

Final note is that if Villa do sell Milner I hope they squeeze every last penny out of City. Martin O'Neill could do a lot of good with that £30m. Three of four quality signings could give him the quality in depth that the squad needs.

City don't have a ridiculous amount of midfielders though.
    They have Barry, De Jong and Vieira backe dup by youngsters or players out of position. Just saying.

Stories now that Milner will meet with Villa early next week, I personally think he will sign a new contract or agree the terms of one and sign after the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

City don't have a ridiculous amount of midfielders though.
    They have Barry, De Jong and Vieira backe dup by youngsters or players out of position. Just saying.

Kompany could also be classed as a midfielder. Plus Stephen Ireland if he stays. Then you've Johnson and Wright-Phillips on the right, sometimes Tevez. There's a lot of competition there for such a young player trying to establish himself. Hopefully they would leave their midfield recruiting at that.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Kompany could also be classed as a midfielder. Plus Stephen Ireland if he stays. Then you've Johnson and Wright-Phillips on the right, sometimes Tevez. There's a lot of competition there for such a young player trying to establish himself. Hopefully they would leave their midfield recruiting at that.

I'd say his only competition is Ireland who Mancini doesn't seem to rate. CM is his position now. Anyway, it's hypothetical as he won't be leaving.

I think it depends on where you're at. I wouldn't accuse a player like Rooney of lacking ambition if he showed no interest in joining a bigger club like Real or Barca, but he is at a pretty big club who will be playing regular Champions League football, so while he might not be playing for the best, he will be testing himself against the best on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I think it depends on where you're at. I wouldn't accuse a player like Rooney of lacking ambition if he showed no interest in joining a bigger club like Real or Barca, but he is at a pretty big club who will be playing regular Champions League football, so while he might not be playing for the best, he will be testing himself against the best on a regular basis.

Who are the bigger clubs?

Manchester United made it one round less than Barca and one round more than Real Madrid in the CL.

Lost out on the EPL by a point and we won a cup this season more than Real Madrid can say this season.

So why would Rooney join Real?

No logic to your points like your player development comments.

Should Torres aspire to play for Spurs then? Spurs finished higher than Liverpool. So by your logic of "the best" or "bigger clubs" should he not be aspiring to join Spurs, City or Arsenal? All who finished higher than Liverpool.

No, I don't think so.

There is no bigger clubs than the likes of Manchester United, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona etc.

Absolutely ridiculous comment.

I'd say his only competition is Ireland who Mancini doesn't seem to rate. CM is his position now. Anyway, it's hypothetical as he won't be leaving.

Milner is practically guaranteed to leave. The reasons are obvious - ambition and money.

Warper wrote: »
    Milner is practically guaranteed to leave. The reasons are obvious - ambition and money.

No, he is not guaranteed to leave AT ALL.

If Man United find a big wedge of cash down the back of the sofa and make a bid then I'd be fairly sure he would leave, but to City? I have serious doubts, I think I will be proven right.

• Advertisement

No, he is not guaranteed to leave AT ALL.

If Man United find a big wedge of cash down the back of the sofa and make a bid then I'd be fairly sure he would leave, but to City? I have serious doubts, I think I will be proven right.

Do you follow Villa by any chance?

Advertisement