Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City Make £20m Offer For Milner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Warper wrote: »
    Do you follow Villa by any chance?

Yes I do so I think I understand the situation more than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Put your money where your mouth is Warper, to suggest Milner is "guaranteed" to leave Villa this summer is a bold statement indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Put your money where your mouth is Warper, to suggest Milner is "guaranteed" to leave Villa this summer is a bold statement indeed.

Fine, I bet you €200 that he will leave this summer.

Yowsers!

Gauranteed? I'm not so sure about that.

He's 11/8 to be at city on Sept 1st, 13/8 to be at Villa, 4/1 united and 5/1 Chelsea.

PP odds

• Advertisement

Nah i'm not in it for profit. I'll give 50 euro to Acorns if he isn't a Villa player on September 1st and you'll give Acorns 50 if he still is a Villa player on September 1st or signs a new contract. What say you?

Nah i'm not in it for profit. I'll give 50 euro to Acorns if he isn't a Villa player on September 1st and you'll give Acorns 50 if he still is a Villa player on September 1st or signs a new contract. What say you?

Who are Acorns, are they the crowd that sponsors Villa? But fair enough I'll €50 to Unicef if Milner is with Villa on Sep 1st, deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Osu wrote: »
    Who are the bigger clubs?

Manchester United made it one round less than Barca and one round more than Real Madrid in the CL.

Lost out on the EPL by a point and we won a cup this season more than Real Madrid can say this season.

So why would Rooney join Real?

No logic to your points like your player development comments.

Should Torres aspire to play for Spurs then? Spurs finished higher than Liverpool. So by your logic of "the best" or "bigger clubs" should he not be aspiring to join Spurs, City or Arsenal? All who finished higher than Liverpool.

No, I don't think so.

There is no bigger clubs than the likes of Manchester United, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona etc.

Absolutely ridiculous comment.

Well, Ronaldo agreed that Real are a bigger club than United. Even if United had the money they couldn't attract the same players as Barcelona and Real Madrid, this is why Veron is probably the biggest signing Manchester United have ever made. Rooney doesn't count as he wasn't an established star.

You say by my logic Torres should sign for Spurs. I never applied that logic, so please don't attribute what i didn't say to me. Liverpool are obviously a bigger club than Spurs.

Back on point; look at the players Real have and are likely to sign. Look at the players Barca have and are likely to sign. Look at the players United have and are likely to sign.

Unless you know something about Obertan that i don't, i know which clubs i'd rather play for.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gauranteed? I'm not so sure about that.

He's 11/8 to be at city on Sept 1st, 13/8 to be at Villa, 4/1 united and 5/1 Chelsea.

PP odds

Ya, I just looked at the odds myself, Skybet have him @ 4-9 to be with City and PP have him @ 15-8 now to be with Villa so the bookies reckon he is bye-bye.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/james-milner-specials/club-after-summer-transfer-window

Who are Acorns, are they the crowd that sponsors Villa? But fair enough I'll €50 to Unicef if Milner is with Villa on Sep 1st, deal.

Oh it's on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Who are Acorns, are they the crowd that sponsors Villa

technically, we sponsor them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Well, Ronaldo agreed that Real are a bigger club than United. Even if United had the money they couldn't attract the same players as Barcelona and Real Madrid, this is why Veron is probably the biggest signing Manchester United have ever made. Rooney doesn't count as he wasn't an established star.

You say by my logic Torres should sign for Spurs. I never applied that logic, so please don't attribute what i didn't say to me. Liverpool are obviously a bigger club than Spurs.

Back on point; look at the players Real have and are likely to sign. Look at the players Barca have and are likely to sign. Look at the players United have and are likely to sign.

Unless you know something about Obertan that i don't, i know which clubs i'd rather play for.
    Oh my god you are the worst.

CSF wrote: »
    Oh my god you are the worst.

If you truly believed i was wrong you would state the reasons why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Jesus Christ...

By the same logic Spurs are likely to invest more than Liverpool. Therefore again, by your same logic a bigger club.

I'll also attribute whatever tripe you say, to you, in my posts. Seriously, your opinion on football is clearly warped.

Maybe people are sick of trying to state the obvious to you. But sure you keep plugging away at nothing.

Jesus Christ...

By the same logic Spurs are likely to invest more than Liverpool. Therefore again, by your same logic a bigger club.

I'll also attribute whatever tripe you say, to you, in my posts. Seriously, your opinion on football is clearly warped.

Maybe people are sick of trying to state the obvious to you. But sure you keep plugging away at nothing.

Osu, you're nuts! But i still like you :)

Did you miss the part where i said even if United and Real and Barca had the exact same resources United could not compete with them for the same players, hence why Veron is the biggest signing United have ever made.

Remember United and Barca competed for Ronaldinho? Did you ever believe that United were going to win the race for his signature?

I'm not saying Real and Barca are bigger on resources alone. They are bigger in that they are a more attractive proposition for the worlds best players. Simple!

I guess it's a question of prestige. But i concede that if it was a question of who could sell the most jerseys in Asia then it's hard to look beyond United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Remember United and Barca competed for Ronaldinho? Did you ever believe that United were going to win the race for his signature?

Utd would not budge on the asking price; that is primarily why Ronaldinho did not go.

Barca went the extra couple of million.

it's only partly to do with being a 'big' club. the fact of the matter is that on the continent, Real Madrid is THE club to go to. they do also happen to be the biggest club in the world anyway, but besides them, Utd and Barca are almost on a par in terms of world recognition.

all those Brazilians and Argentinians go to the Spanish clubs for a variety of reasons.

1) the climate. most of them hate the english way of life.
    2) work permit's easier to obtain (AFAIK).

it's not as simple as saying...'Utd just aren't as big a club'.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Utd would not budge on the asking price; that is primarily why Ronaldinho did not go.

Barca went the extra couple of million.

it's only partly to do with being a 'big' club. the fact of the matter is that on the continent, Real Madrid is THE club to go to. they do also happen to be the biggest club in the world anyway, but besides them, Utd and Barca are almost on a par in terms of world recognition.

all those Brazilians and Argentinians go to the Spanish clubs for a variety of reasons.

1) the climate. most of them hate the english way of life.
    2) work permit's easier to obtain (AFAIK).

it's not as simple as saying...'Utd just aren't as big a club'.

Good points, well made. But i feel in terms of prestige Barcelona are out ahead of United. Even AC Milan but they don't have the resources to compete anymore.

I also agree the climate and the English way of life is a factor and i believe it has played a part in determining the prestige of the clubs. Football aside, to be rich and living in Madrid, Barcelona and Milan is a far more attractive prospect than being rich and living in Manchester, no doubt.

Hahahahhaahhahahaha. Sometimes counter-arguments aren't necessary. If I posted up that I thought Messi was crap, do you think people would bother to argue with me why he isn't? No they'd just laugh at me, which is becoming my default setting for your posts.

Hahahahhaahhahahaha. Sometimes counter-arguments aren't necessary. If I posted up that I thought Messi was crap, do you think people would bother to argue with me why he isn't? No they'd just laugh at me, which is becoming my default setting for your posts.

Okay, well firstly i'd like to commend you on an enitrely convincing hahahahahahahaha.

Secondly, to equate saying "Messi is crap" with someone saying Barcelona and Real Madrid are more enticing destinations for a sought after player is a huge stretch.

• Advertisement

Okay, well firstly i'd like to commend you on an enitrely convincing hahahahahahahaha.

Secondly, to equate saying "Messi is crap" with someone saying Barcelona and Real Madrid are more enticing destinations for a sought after player is a huge stretch.
    I did no such thing, nor did I disagree with you that Barca and Real are more enticing, but that didn't make your post any less ridiculous. You just have em a way with words.

I did no such thing, nor did I disagree with you that Barca and Real are more enticing, but that didn't make your post any less ridiculous. You just have em a way with words.

So it's how i word those points that you don't disagree with that you find ridiculous?

Talk about furious backpeddling!

So it's how i word those points that you don't disagree with that you find ridiculous?

Hold up a second, YOU in THIS thread, are accusing me of backpeddling? The ironing. I'm really just not arsed doing another of these tbh. It was funny the first time now it is just boring.

You can't accuse anyone of that. LOL

So this thread is off topic...

Hold up a second, YOU in THIS thread, are accusing me of backpeddling? The ironing. I'm really just not arsed doing another of these tbh. It was funny the first time now it is just boring.

Lol. You said my post was as ridiculous as saying Messi was crap. Then you say you didn't disagree with my post, you just thought i "had a way with words".

Backpeddling!

Don't bother responding, i'm done with you.

Lol. You said my post was as ridiculous as saying Messi was crap.
    Quote where this happened please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ednorton.gif

eagle eye wrote: »
    ednorton.gif

I know, it's hard for some to accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I know, it's hard for some to accept.

It's getting beyond embarrassing at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so umm Milner then... what was it Helix was saying about 20m and Ireland...
    City will offer £20m plus a choice of one of four players in their attempt to lure James Milner from Aston Villa. England internationals Micah Richards and Shaun Wright-Phillips, Under-21 star Nedum Onuoha and Republic of Ireland midfielder Stephen Ireland are all being offered as bait.

pity its originally from the mirror but atleast its on topic.

It's getting beyond embarrassing at this stage.

What's embarrassing is the constant failure of you and a few others to dispute what i say with adult football debate. All i get is trite remarks that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic we are discussing. If what i say is so ridiculous then tell me why, in football terms. At least have a stab at it for ****s and giggles.

What's embarrassing is the constant failure of you and a few others to dispute what i say with adult football debate. All i get is trite remarks that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic we are discussing. If what i say is so ridiculous then tell me why, in football terms. At least have a stab at it for ****s and giggles.

I've tried to have a football debate with you. You just back peddle throughout your comments. Your, your own worst enemy.

Seriously now, I'd say the best thing here would be not to reply and allow this topic to get back on topic.

I've tried to have a football debate with you. You just back peddle throughout your comments. Your, your own worst enemy.

Seriously now, I'd say the best thing here would be not to reply and allow this topic to get back on topic.

Again, you duck the invitation to FOOTBALL debate.

I have shot my load as far as conversation with you is concerned, Osu. I will leave you to feast on the soggy biscuit. Metaphorically speaking.

• Advertisement

Again, you duck the invitation to FOOTBALL debate.

I have shot my load as far as conversation with you is concerned, Osu. I will leave you to feast on the soggy biscuit. Metaphorically speaking.

I've had a football debate with you and you were seen to back peddle, making stupid points on your way. Seriously lad, take it to PM. This is becoming silly. That's my last post on the matter.

If you want to have your childish last shot go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ladies, take your handbags elsewhere.

Cheers

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ladies, take your handbags elsewhere.

Cheers

Sorry. I shouldn't let others drag me to their level. I promise it will not happen again.

sorry.

pssssssssssssssssssychic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

pity its originally from the mirror but atleast its on topic.

If they held out for 20 mill, Ireland and Onuoha it's be a savage bit of business for them. Onuoha is a really good prospect.

flahavaj wrote: »
    If they held out for 20 mill, Ireland and Onuoha it's be a savage bit of business for them. Onuoha is a really good prospect.

He's good, I just don't know if he's needed.

JPA wrote: »
    He's good, I just don't know if he's needed.

Well worth getting as a makeweight in any deal though. Good young defenders are as hard to find as a natural hair on Stevie Ireland's head these days.:pac:

All ye'd need then is a striker and one more body in midfield and it's have been an excellent Summer's business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I dont want to see Milner leave Villa but id have to admit that would be a really good deal. tbh i see Onuoha as more of a CB and Villa are actually pretty stacked in that position atm (Dunne, Cuellar, Collins, Davies, Clark) so kinda expect a move for Richards at some point especially if City do show their hand and reveal who they would let go and in doing so lower their values.

20m and Ireland for Milner as much as i dont want to lose the guy is a great deal. get in a DCM who can at least rotate with Petrov and a top CF with that money and maybe a lil more whilst trimming the wage budget by saying goodbye to Bouma, Salifou, Harewood, Shorey (Luke Young to be backup RB & LB, while Cuellar can cover RB if nobody is signed) aswell as one of NRC or Sidwell who now would be surplus to requirements in midfield (especially once Delph returns from injury). Infact the sale of one of them would cover any extra cash needed for those purchases so there would be virtually no net spend.

Is it a great move for Milner though? I know and could agree partially that City are more likely to be competing for the league/CL in the near future but whats to stop Milner continuing to develop in the environment he is currently happy and excelling in and then moving at some point perhaps next year if Villa havent made the step up.

I can see Milner turning down City anyway tbh.

we wont get onuha AND ireland plus £20m for jimmy lads, lets not be ridiculous

£20m and ireland is pushing it a little tbf, but i can see it happening if mon wants him

though knowing us we'll go for richards instead, and play cuellar instead of him

Helix wrote: »

£20m and ireland is pushing it a little tbf, but i can see it happening if mon wants him

though knowing us we'll go for richards instead, and play cuellar instead of him

Well we need to get into ridiculous territory to be selling him.

I can see Milner turning down City anyway tbh.

Yup. Don't think it would be a good career move for him. I think he might have another season at Villa. Could go to Spurs if Modric is bought. But can't see that happening either.

Helix wrote: »

Richards is a bit sh*t IMO. Onuhoa is the better player, easily.

Yup. Don't think it would be a good career move for him. I think he might have another season at Villa. Could go to Spurs if Modric is bought. But can't see that happening either.

He'll give it one more year at Villa IMO and if he plays as well again or improves even more, he'll have chelsea and United sniffing around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement