Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City Make £20m Offer For Milner

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Osu wrote: »
    Yup. Don't think it would be a good career move for him. I think he might have another season at Villa. Could go to Spurs if Modric is bought. But can't see that happening either.

Spurs? LOL!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

flahavaj wrote: »
    I can see Milner turning down City anyway tbh.

once they go to him before responding to an offer and say hey James, Man city put in a bid, we want to say no (doesent matter what the offer is really to Milner), unless you want to leave to go to city, do you? No o ok nice

If a bid is accepted it could change things. As then Milner will consider where he can have the most success. But I would think like you, there is far more hope that someone like Milner would consider more than only the potential wage he could get and tbh at the moment i would only think he would be likely to leave if it was such a beneficial deal to Villa that they kinda politely wanted him to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

JPA wrote: »
    Well we need to get into ridiculous territory to be selling him.

i think id rather £20m plus ireland, in terms of the bigger picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

flahavaj wrote: »
    He'll give it one more year at Villa IMO and if he plays as well again or improves even more, he'll have chelsea and United sniffing around.

Exactly. Plus he's guaranteed 38 games at Villa next year to impress again. It's not like he's 30. He should stick at villa for a other year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Helix wrote: »
    i think id rather £20m plus ireland, in terms of the bigger picture

Well I was suggestion Onouha, Ireland and £20 million. Why would you not prefer that? I don't know if City would go into that kinda territory though.
    But remember the bid they made was allegedly 20 million plus 5 million in add-ons so we're already in slightly OTT price range and that was turned down.

So assuming they keep bidding, things could get crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well I was suggestion Onouha, Ireland and £20 million. Why would you not prefer that? I don't know if City would go into that kinda territory though.
    But remember the bid they made was allegedly 20 million plus 5 million in add-ons so we're already in slightly OTT price range and that was turned down.

TBH if City are going to throw the cash around, I think clubs should feel entitled to hold out for silly money/offers from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think that IF theyve made the offer of £20m plus one of those 4, its likely their final offer. theres no harm in asking if we can get onouha as well, but i wouldnt pull out of the deal if we couldnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

One thing to remember \ take into consideration about the price is the new home grown player rule that is coming into effect next season.
    Each squad must submit a roster of 25 first-team players eligible to participate in league matches.

–Of those 25, at least 8 must have spent at least 3 years between the ages of 16 and 21 training with an English or Welsh club. These qualify as “homegrown” players, regardless of whether they are originally English or Welsh, or whether those 3 years were actually spent at their current club.

–Players who turn 21 after January 1 of the season in question are eligible to play in first-team matches and do not count against the 25 man squad limit.

While it looks like City's squad meets the rule it will automatically push up the price of any English player whether your club needs one or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'd rather the Stephen Ireland of last season over the Milner of this season any day. Let's not forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I'd rather the Stephen Ireland of last season over the Milner of this season any day. Let's not forget.

Ireland is a class player but on what ive heard he is completely off his head. MON is a good manager for these as i say he listens and can figure out what needs to be said. £20m plus Ireland would be a great deal as Ireland is worth bucketloads if he can get his head together. For that reason maybe Fergie would be the ideal man for both parties at a cheap cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Warper wrote: »
    Ireland is a class player but on what ive heard he is completely off his head. MON is a good manager for these as i say he listens and can figure out what needs to be said. £20m plus Ireland would be a great deal as Ireland is worth bucketloads if he can get his head together. For that reason maybe Fergie would be the ideal man for both parties at a cheap cost.

I don't know if Ireland is a particularly challenging code to crack, personality wise. Now, granted, I'm basing this largely on interviews, quotes, anecdotes etc, but he strikes me as a confidence-first kind of guy who just needs to be made feel important and wanted at a club.

An injury and a change of manager saw him fall down the pecking order and since he is yet to regain his confidence, he is yet to regain his form.

I suspect that he will only move to a club were he to be certain that he will be provided with the requisite emotional support (if you want to call it that) needed to regain his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Warper wrote: »

That would be absurd, i'd bite Citys hand off for that if i was MON. I wouldn't like to see Ireland at Villa though, i'd rather see him play for a side that plays a little more football. I'd actually love to see him play in La Liga for a team like Atletico but like you mentioned he seems a bit off his head so i'm not sure if a move abroad is good for him. He definitely has the ability to do well over there.

Advertisement