Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What is behind the change in Ireland's weather pattern?

• 19-05-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I am facinated as to why our weather pattern has changed in the past 6 months. How many atlantic depressions have we had in the last 6 months compared to normal? very few. High pressure with north or east winds have dominated. It is fantastic, long may it last, but what is behind this? Why is the High so dominent over such a long period?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The change seems to be closely aligned to low solar output - lack of sunspots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Some people would have you believe that its because i left the immersion on when i went away for the weekend, and because I drove to the shop instead of cycling . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭pauldry

Have a book at home about the weather in Ireland and Brtain (mostly Britain) in the past 100 years odd. There are often wet or very wet Summers or wet or very wet years and then really dry years soon after them. Its been happening all the time that there are records for and will continue to happen into the future.

The Atlantic seems less active and there is High out in the Atlantic that seems to be meandering up to the North and out to the West and occasionally over us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's global warming don't you know!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was the North Atlantic Oscillation in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

pauldry wrote: »
    Have a book at home about the weather in Ireland and Brtain (mostly Britain) in the past 100 years odd. There are often wet or very wet Summers or wet or very wet years and then really dry years soon after them. Its been happening all the time that there are records for and will continue to happen into the future.

The Atlantic seems less active and there is High out in the Atlantic that seems to be meandering up to the North and out to the West and occasionally over us.

So tell us tell us - are we in for a warm dry one ?? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭pauldry

lucy2010 wrote: »
    So tell us tell us - are we in for a warm dry one ?? lol

Well thats the six million dollar question. Its looking better than the last 3 at present. Nothing more....yet.

Well im oth you on that one. Mini mes birthday is the 18th & every year for last 3 it was a wash out - this year we got SUN ! & WARM ! & even a go on the DRY bouncy castle lol... long may it last - hose pipe ban be next lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

Who's Mini mes?? I agree that it has been quite good so far this spring. Bouncy castles when dry are so much better than wet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

highdef wrote: »
    Who's Mini mes?? I agree that it has been quite good so far this spring. Bouncy castles when dry are so much better than wet :D

Not necessarily. I've found kids often prefer them in the wet.

• Advertisement

Mini-me is my 7 yr old & every year we have had 30 kids to each party with the heavens opening & them all being squished into the house & climbing the walls...

Advertisement