Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRA and the Northern Bank Robbery

• 19-05-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Did the PIRA have anything to do with the Northern Bank Robbery in 2004?

George Hegarty, of Donnybrook Cottages, Douglas, Cork, pleaded guilty to money laundering in February 2005, knowing or believing that the £66,000 Sterling found at his home represented the proceeds of a robbery at the Northern Bank, Belfast in December 2004.

Mr Hegarty was a ”Sinn Féin activist”

Then-30-year-old Don Bullman was arrested at Heuston Station in Dublin in February 2005 with a red Daz washing powder box containing more than €94,000. Bullman was described in the 2005 report noted earlier as “a chef and fundraiser for Sinn Féin”. He was eventually charged with membership of the IRA.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2010/05/02/northern-bank-robbery-redux/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8045200.stm

Looking forward to the debate

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i think the question should be...did the british government have anything to do with the Northern Bank Robbery? Its obvious the PIRA were involved but who set it up for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

paky wrote: »
    i think the question should be...did the british government have anything to do with the Northern Bank Robbery? Its obvious the PIRA were involved but who set it up for them?

Good Question, did they get permission

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

maybe a final peace settlement?

paky wrote: »
    maybe a final peace settlement?

Or you may call it a pension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Winty wrote: »
    Or you may call it a pension

yes the real truth is that every IRA activist got a payoff of £1.75 million , a house in spain and or donegal , a yacht , and life membership of k club. it probably would have gone unnoticed but for the people like winty here.

• Advertisement

danbohan wrote: »
    yes the real truth is that every IRA activist got a payoff of £1.75 million

I like your thinking, tells us what you really think Dan.

Is their any legs in the story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

well the question at the time IIRC was

would ya rather they Robbed yer Bank or Blew up yer house??

would ya rather they Robbed yer Bank or Blew up yer house??

Thats all part of it, permission was given under this belief. Peace at a cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Thats all part of it, permission was given under this belief. Peace at a cost

hearsay or anything to link it together...

if it was a set up... how come the sin fein guy was caught with all the money in cork...

by all i mean a few million

there is a forum *Cough*RaN *Cough* here on boards that may be more suited to gettin a straight answer on this one, I've another question for them re the CT aspect of the GF but I'm still unsure how to phrase it

• Advertisement

there is a forum *Cough*RaN *Cough* here on boards that may be more suited to gettin a straight answer on this one, I've another question for them re the CT aspect of the GF but I'm still unsure how to phrase it

The RaN is a private group and I dont think they would let my join

Dont understand the CT aspect of the GF ? what ?

sorry
    The CT re the GFA

it relates to Dechastaline and Decomissioning and a Cook Report the week prior to agreement and Exactly WHAT they decomissioned.

if ya get what I mean.

anyway the Hmod of RaN is a fairly sound bloke, I'm sure he'd let a in if ya asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Wasnt there speculation in the papers at the time of the robbery that indeed it was the IRA's pension and they were planning on buying hotels in bulgaria and other places...cant find a link so my memory could be faulty

Think its dlofnep who you PM for RaN forum.Sure maybe just pm him winty?

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Wasnt there speculation in the papers at the time of the robbery that indeed it was the IRA's pension and they were planning on buying hotels in bulgaria and other places...

Think its dlofnep who you PM for RaN forum.Sure maybe just pm him winty?

Thanks Lab Mouse, I do remember something about hotels but cant find anything online.

dlofnep and I have a difference of political philosophy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

dlofnep and I have a difference of political philosophy
    Fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    IRA's pension and they were planning on buying hotels in bulgaria and other places...cant find a link so my memory could be faulty

What is it about people who want to try and run this country and property in Bulgaria? Fookin' eejits the lot of them.

I think its a stroke of genuis as far as gettin peace goes;):D

I think its a stroke of genuis as far as gettin peace goes;):D

A great business model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I read a few weeks back something about this,how British blamed it on the IRA a few things in fact,but was actually in cahoots with British establishments.

Advertisement