Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking 9 month old on sun holiday.. any tips?

• 19-05-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Would likes some tips from anyone that has gone on a sun holiday with a young baby. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Find a sitter.. they call it holiday for a reason and with a newborn about they will be little to no fun in the sun.. unless you have a group going that can/will take turns watching. I personally wouldn't take a child less than 2 on holiday as they wont remember or enjoy it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I took my 4/5 month old to France last year for a month.We hired a mobile home.
    A buggy with a good sunshade,a mosquito net,sun hats,lots of sun cream,anti bacterial wipes,swim nappies and childrens insect repellent.

It really depends where you are going France is alot more child centred then here so we could buy everything there .I still over packed though!

I can't wait to bring her away again this year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is there a siesta period wherever you're going? We got stung on that badly in Sardinia last year - the baby's nap schedule meant that she was up and at 'em about the same time that the whole town shut down, and then she was ready for bed around the time everything opened again leaving us stuck indoors (no sitter, wasn't in a resort or hotel). I'm sure there's a sensible solution but we didn't come up with one for the first couple of days, just something to be aware of.

If your baba is on formula, might be a good idea to bring some. Milupa's stuff is different on the continent. Bring some Milton Tablets for sterilising and buy a bucket when you get there.

Oh, and Baby photos with shades and big floppy hats are really cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Find a sitter.. they call it holiday for a reason and with a newborn about they will be little to no fun in the sun.. unless you have a group going that can/will take turns watching. I personally wouldn't take a child less than 2 on holiday as they wont remember or enjoy it.

It's a family holiday we are going on, we have two older kids also,why would we want to leave our baby at home? There would definitely be no fun it that!
    Now with all due respect i asked for tips on taking our baby on holiday not leaving him at home or with a sitter!

I brought all baby stuff in a carry on sized suitcase, nappies, few clothes, suncream etc. Means that baby is looked after even if luggage is lost.

If your baby is on formula you might be able to get the individual sachets of food (SMA definitely do them) which were fantastic when I took my 8 month old away. Pack those into the carry on bag also.

You can also get disposable bottles in boots. Very handy.

Buy the small sachets of soltan once suncream from boots. great for carry on luggage and for throwing in your handbag.

You don't really need the milton tablets, you don't need to steralise after 6 months so wouldn't worry too much.

Get yourself a factor 50 sun suit, they really do work and keep baby safe from sun burn. Only thing about these is that when they get out of the pool they are fully wet and can get cold if there is a chill in the air.

Bandanas (teamed with sunglasses) are even better than hats as they stay on more easily and don't get in the way. They can be worn in the pool etc also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we're taking our 10 month old to turkey in july so she'll be just one, everyone thought we were crazy too only there are around 10 family members coming with us so we'll have a load of help, sun is sun no matter where you are as long as you take appropiate cautions!

there is a lotion Parasol 20 or p20 or something its one of those put on once a day and protects you in and out of water, im VERY fair skinned so me and my daughter will be smothered in the stuff, i used it all the time previously and have yet to get burned, that and ill be putting johnsons baby suncream factor 50 on her too...

at the moment tescos and pennys have baby swimsuits they are like wet suit layout/shape with light swimsuit material,the key being covering as much skin as possible from the sun, most are sold with a simular material hat with a flap at the back to cover the neck...

water proof nappies are probally a must even if your baby will just sit in the water/pools edge.

are you flying? flight food and entertainment, plus a bottle for the baby to suck on takeoff and landing for the ear popping!

hope this helps :)

there is a lotion Parasol 20 or p20 or something its one of those put on once a day and protects you in and out of water, im VERY fair skinned so me and my daughter will be smothered in the stuff, i used it all the time previously and have yet to get burned, that and ill be putting johnsons baby suncream factor 50 on her too...

I tried to get P20 in boots about 2 years ago and they told me they stopped selling it as it doesn't protect against UVA rays. Not sure if this has been rectified. I found it brilliant myself but thing to bear in mind though is that it is only factor 20 so its only medium protection

Always go for a suncream with 1. a high factor, and 2. 5 UVA stars (this can be found on the back of your suncream) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Thanks to all! Have travelled with my older two before just not when they were babies. So was a little worried!
    I've just been reading about microwavable sterilising bags available in Boots, has anyone tried these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I tried to get P20 in boots about 2 years ago and they told me they stopped selling it as it doesn't protect against UVA rays. Not sure if this has been rectified. I found it brilliant myself but thing to bear in mind though is that it is only factor 20 so its only medium protection

Always go for a suncream with 1. a high factor, and 2. 5 UVA stars (this can be found on the back of your suncream) :)

wow thank you!! :eek: i didnt know and i just researched it there and apparently its V.dangerous...:o thanks whoopsadaisydoodles owe you big time! :cool:

however boots are recommending soltan so ill prob go with that!

OP meant to say might be a good idea to check out what family activities are around where you are going, and a light recliner stroller for the baby so he/she can sleep while you guys are out and about at night...

wow thank you!! :eek: i didnt know and i just researched it there and apparently its V.dangerous...:o thanks whoopsadaisydoodles owe you big time! :cool:

however boots are recommending soltan so ill prob go with that!

Pity cos it really does stop you from getting burnt!

Yeh Soltan once is excellent, works for 6 hours including 3 hours of pool time. Little bit more expensive than the regular soltan but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

2SWEET wrote: »
    I've just been reading about microwavable sterilising bags available in Boots, has anyone tried these?

I've used them a fair bit. They don't hold much (usually 2 bottles at a go with a couple of soothers) and they're only good for 25 goes before you're supposed to throw them out so make sure you do your maths and have enough bags for all the bottles you're going to need to make up. Also, make sure you have a bottle that's got the right graduations on it so you can measure out 70mls of water or whatever their bag takes (we use the Babies R Us one, but I think they're basically the same.) And obviously you need access to a microwave.

Just thinking, if your baby isn't used to the heat it may affect their appetite or how quickly things that go in the front come out the back... make sure you've got some Dioralite (sp?) for keeping the little 'un hydrated. (not sure what age that's recommended from though, it may be 1 year)

Advertisement