Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSA question

• 19-05-2010 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My fiancee is just about to finish her teaching degree in the next two weeks and obviously won't be working until September at the earliest. I have been trying to support us for the last 3 years but we are really struggling now.

Can she claim jobseekers allowance in the intervening period and is this reduced as we are engaged or are we treated as single people because I understand in Irish law there is no such thing as common law spouse. On a side note I have being paying the mortgage and all the bills since she moved in?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

If she has finished her current course, and will not be returning to that course in September, she should be able to apply for Jobseekers Allowance. However because you are a co-habiting couple, your earnings will be assed as means against her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Hi Omegar,

Thanks a million for that. I thought that might be the case. She is finishing her finals next Friday so we can apply then.

Ta.

She should get a letter from her Educational Institute confirming that she has finsihed the course, and the date of her last exam. This is one of the documents they will request (along with Proof of ID, and proof of Address, and bank accounts and proof of your earnings)

The following is the rules for Means assessments if you want to have a look

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/JA_ass_sppart_ern.aspx

ignore stuff in relation to the savers clause, as your partner will be assessed under the new method

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Can she apply for Jobseekers Benefit instead of JA? What reason would there be for her not to being entitled to JB?

I have assumed that since the OP was supporting her that she was not working. Though if my assumption is wrong, she may qualify for JSB. The OP though should still provide information in case a means assessment is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

OmeGar wrote: »
    I have assumed that since the OP was supporting her that she was not working. Though if my assumption is wrong, she may qualify for JSB. The OP though should still provide information in case a means assessment is needed.

I forgot that you have to work up credits to be entitled to JSB. :o

Advertisement