Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a copy of a "misleading" ad..?

Options
  • 19-05-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a wee problem I'm having with a holiday I booked a while back.

The gist of it is as follows:

I saw an ad by Sunway in the Irish Mail on Sunday on Sunday 31st January, and it advertised a free upgrade to an all-inclusive package when you booked half-board for certain properties on certain dates.

Based on this ad, I went ahead and booked online, (and again on the Sunway website it stated that the free upgrade applied to holidays departing between May - October (or something like that, either way, I made sure my dates were within the required range)).

Now I've received my eticket and travel itinerary by email yesterday, and I noticed that the hotel details said half-board, so I thought I should get confirmation from Sunway so that I wouldn't have any problems being made all-inclusive when we get to the hotel in a few weeks...

But then I got an email back today saying:

Regarding free upgrade to All Inclusive please see reply below
    From our operations department:
    The Upgrade did not start until the 22 Feb and unfortunately
    this booking was made before the offer started.
    At the time of this booking the Upgrade was on in place for winter 09/10.

My problem right now is I don't have a copy of the ad, or a screenshot from the website at the time, so I can't prove conclusively whether I'm right or wrong! I'm pretty sure they'd have to be bound by the ad if I had a reasonable expectation of the offer applying to my booking based on the information provided.

Can anyone give me any advice on how I should proceed, or how I can go about getting a copy of the ad I saw in the Mail on Sunday...??

The answer she has given me about the offer makes no sense though; surely they can't put an ad in the paper in January, advertising this upgrade, specifying departure dates from May onwards, but omit to mention that anyone looking at the ad in January has to wait another 3 weeks before they can actually make a booking to qualify for the upgrade...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Daily mail have every page they ever printed.

Ask for a copy on their website and they will send you one for a small fee.

just dont say its for the ads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Your local library might also have a copy for free and failing that the national library will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Ilac centre library is the handiest place to get old newspapers. Go to the business centre and ask at the desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a wee problem I'm having with a holiday I booked a while back.

The gist of it is as follows:

I saw an ad by Sunway in the Irish Mail on Sunday on Sunday 31st January, and it advertised a free upgrade to an all-inclusive package when you booked half-board for certain properties on certain dates.

Based on this ad, I went ahead and booked online, (and again on the Sunway website it stated that the free upgrade applied to holidays departing between May - October (or something like that, either way, I made sure my dates were within the required range)).

Now I've received my eticket and travel itinerary by email yesterday, and I noticed that the hotel details said half-board, so I thought I should get confirmation from Sunway so that I wouldn't have any problems being made all-inclusive when we get to the hotel in a few weeks...

But then I got an email back today saying:

Regarding free upgrade to All Inclusive please see reply below
    From our operations department:
    The Upgrade did not start until the 22 Feb and unfortunately
    this booking was made before the offer started.
    At the time of this booking the Upgrade was on in place for winter 09/10.

My problem right now is I don't have a copy of the ad, or a screenshot from the website at the time, so I can't prove conclusively whether I'm right or wrong! I'm pretty sure they'd have to be bound by the ad if I had a reasonable expectation of the offer applying to my booking based on the information provided.

Can anyone give me any advice on how I should proceed, or how I can go about getting a copy of the ad I saw in the Mail on Sunday...??

The answer she has given me about the offer makes no sense though; surely they can't put an ad in the paper in January, advertising this upgrade, specifying departure dates from May onwards, but omit to mention that anyone looking at the ad in January has to wait another 3 weeks before they can actually make a booking to qualify for the upgrade...

Should totally be possible to get a copy of this - see this link: http://mailonline.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx I would email them first asking how far it is possible to go back first though and also ask if the paper is displayed as original or whether the content is adjusted for the internet (again don't mention it's the ads your after!) Hopefully should only cost you about two pounds. EDIT - sorry OP that is for the English version. Apparently there isn't website for Ireland - http://www.politics.ie/media/99370-daily-mail-irish-edition-online.html!

Another edit: Some contacts here might help http://www.mediapack.ie/assocnews/index.htm

Advertisement