Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

saddle height?

• 19-05-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey

Well I use my bike to cycle to work on and the odd weekend go trail riding up the wicklow mountains

when using it mountain biking I set the saddle to its lowest point as ye wouldnt really be seated and dont want smacking my bum off the saddle on bumps, dips, etc..

curious to know where is the best position to have the saddle set for normal or all cycling purposes? find my left knee pestering me and wondering is it to do with the way the leg,s have to bend

bike is a giand xtc 4 and am 5,11 in height

may sound silly just want to see ppl,s opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

For regular riding the saddle should be set so that you can place the heel of your cycling shoe on it at the lowest point, and still have a slight bend at the knee. Knee pain might be more to do with gearing or pedals/cleats than seat height though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

In bare feet you should be slightly rocking on the saddle - which should in return when you have your shoes back on give you the right height, now that's not a finesse position, it may need a drop or a raise ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A lot higher than you have it for the trail riding. As a rough guide you should have just the slightest bend in your knee sitting in the saddle with your foot fully extended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Stand to the left of your bike with the right pedal pedal in the downward position then put your underarm over the saddle. If you can touch the pedal with the tips of your fingers it is set to the right height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Stand to the left of your bike with the right pedal pedal in the downward position then put your underarm over the saddle. If you can touch the pedal with the tips of your fingers it is set to the right height.

So you measure your saddle height based on your arm length?

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There are a few ways to judge the height of the saddle. I find tha these all give much the same answer for me. Apparently that isn't always the case.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-14608

Advertisement