Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold water sink tap is running very slow

• 19-05-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

any clues

the bath tap is fine

do i have to turn the water off to open it caus ei dont know were it is im a complete novice :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

faolteam wrote: »
    any clues

the bath tap is fine

do i have to turn the water off to open it caus ei dont know were it is im a complete novice :confused:

Sound's like you might have low water pressure in your area for the moment - or is this an ongoing problem? If temporary/recent check with your neighbours kitchen tap.

It's normal that other house taps would run well at a time of low pressure as they are fed from the tank in the attic whereas your tap is fed by the mains directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

this for four months now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Look under your kitchen sink, you may have a stopcock. Turn right to up pressure and left to down pressure. if you decide to open your kitchen tap up, make sure you turn off water at the mains, should be outside your front gate, you will need a water key? to do this..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

This worked for me when i had a similar problem

Turn off the cold tap and block the hot tap with your thumb or a cloth and then put the hot tap on and leave it on for a couple of minutes whilst your holding it

The pressure of the water should go back up the system and unblock any airlocks if of course thats the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

faolteam wrote: »
    any clues

the bath tap is fine

Do you mean the cold tap in the bathroom washbasin or the cold tap in the kitchen? There's a big difference. Your post seems to imply that it might be the bathroom cold tap that's the problem.

If it is then both it and the hot taps will all be supplied by the tank in your attic and will all be at the same pressure, so the flow should be the same from all of them. If it isn't then the probability is either a partial airlock or something causing a partial blockage. You could try the old trick of running a hose from the kitchen cold tap to the bathroom cold tap and flushing the pipework back to the tank. That will remove any blockages or airlocks since the kitchen tap, being mains fed, will be at a far higher pressure.

Alternatively the tap plunger could be jammed and not opening fully when the tap is turned on (not unusual, particularly in hard water areas). If that's the case, to open the tap and fix it you will need to either tie up the ballcock in the attic tank and drain the water off through both hot and cold taps in the bath, or take the simple expedient that I use and stick a wine cork in the pipe inside the tank.

The advantage of the latter method is that you have to first drink a bottle of wine to get the cork:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Is this the kitchen sink tap or the bathroom basin tap.

Has there been any loss of water lately.

Do you live in an apartment or a house.

Advertisement