Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radiator query

• 19-05-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

i am trying to turn my radiator off i turn were the + and - is till to the - and it makes no difference :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

It might take a little time for the radiator to cool down, did you allow for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

it just made no difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

faolteam wrote: »
    it just made no difference

Does the valve knob come to a stop at some point - or can you keep turning it in the closed direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

faolteam wrote: »
    ok
    [

Okay.

First let me check something: I'm assuming the valve knob is about the size of a small egg (or smaller). If it's much bigger than that then it's probably a thermostatic valve which isn't dealt with in my comments below.

On a typical radiator valve, the plastic knob is a push-fit* down over the valve spindle (the spindle is the thing that turns and closes the valve). If the knob has come slightly off the spindle then you turn it - but it doesn't turn the spindle and the valve doesn't close. It can also happen that the plastic knob breaks internally and won't grip the spindle even if fully pushed down into place. So check:

- pull the knob off (a firm tug is required)
    - note the shape of the top of the spindle
    - look inside the knob and see a place for that shaped spindle to fit into. Check that that place in the knob isn't torn and damaged.
    - push the knob back on fully after correctly lining up the spindle and the place it goes into

*on older valves the knob had a small screw in the centre which held the knob in place on the spindle. If this is your type and the screw is tight then it's likely the knob is damaged internally. Undo the screw, remove the knob and see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement