Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBA or MBS

Options
  • 19-05-2010 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm just after finishing a part-time honours degree in Business Management and I would like to do a Masters. From reading around there are two main courses that have caught my eye...an MBS or an MBA.

From what I understand an MBA is geared at people with managerial experience. While I am in a middle management grade, I don't have staff - I am a computer programmer.

One of my colleagues has said that I should wait until I am in a more senior role before doing the Masters.

For this reason I thought that an MBS might be more suitable for me there seemed to be less stress placed on experience. If I did go the MBS route I would be looking to show my commitment to my employers and gain a better education. I wouldn't be averse to doing the MBA down the line when I was in a more senior role but I'd still like to tackle a Masters in the meantime.

From a personal point of view, I see the Masters as a challenge and now would be a good time for me to do it because the other half wants to have kids but is willing to wait another two years while I do the Masters. At least if I didn't get around to doing the MBA, I would still have a "Masters" checked off the things to do list.

Sorry for the rant, but I would appreciate any useful advice anybody on the forum might have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Its hard to advise because you dont really specify what it is you want to do with your career/future.

If you just want to 'tick it of your list of things to do' then the MBS would probably be better as its less costly (in most cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

I'm just after finishing a part-time honours degree in Business Management and I would like to do a Masters. From reading around there are two main courses that have caught my eye...an MBS or an MBA.

From what I understand an MBA is geared at people with managerial experience. While I am in a middle management grade, I don't have staff - I am a computer programmer.

One of my colleagues has said that I should wait until I am in a more senior role before doing the Masters.

For this reason I thought that an MBS might be more suitable for me there seemed to be less stress placed on experience. If I did go the MBS route I would be looking to show my commitment to my employers and gain a better education. I wouldn't be averse to doing the MBA down the line when I was in a more senior role but I'd still like to tackle a Masters in the meantime.

From a personal point of view, I see the Masters as a challenge and now would be a good time for me to do it because the other half wants to have kids but is willing to wait another two years while I do the Masters. At least if I didn't get around to doing the MBA, I would still have a "Masters" checked off the things to do list.

Sorry for the rant, but I would appreciate any useful advice anybody on the forum might have.

OT : be careful of waiting a few years before you have kids..not to be patronising or anything but its not something that happens just because you decide you are ready for it to happen.

anyways...

you're in a job , which you seem to like because you want to show committment to your employer.

you've just finished a part time degree.

well done.

now take some time out for the swotting.

A masters is a challenge to an extent .. though suprisingly most people who start it will finish it!

A lot of the material you will cover on a masters may not be of much relevance to what you are doing.

management experience on the job would be more important to gain at the moment in my opinion.

why not join something like Toastmasters if you are looking for a challenge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭CelticSpirit

PK2008 wrote: »
    Its hard to advise because you dont really specify what it is you want to do with your career/future.

If you just want to 'tick it of your list of things to do' then the MBS would probably be better as its less costly (in most cases)

Thanks for replying.

In terms of my career/future I'm a civil servant and I plan to remain there. I want to do a Masters to help progress my career and fulfill a personal ambition.

It would be something that is on my list of things to do, but I also want to get the most out of it career wise too as my job will finance me.

I don't want to just take the cheaper option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭CelticSpirit

OT : be careful of waiting a few years before you have kids..not to be patronising or anything but its not something that happens just because you decide you are ready for it to happen.

anyways...

you're in a job , which you seem to like because you want to show committment to your employer.

you've just finished a part time degree.

well done.

now take some time out for the swotting.

A masters is a challenge to an extent .. though suprisingly most people who start it will finish it!

A lot of the material you will cover on a masters may not be of much relevance to what you are doing.

management experience on the job would be more important to gain at the moment in my opinion.

why not join something like Toastmasters if you are looking for a challenge ;)

On your first point, I know what you mean.

Thanks for the advice.

Are you in Toastmasters yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Are you in Toastmasters yourself?

Yes. and I recommend it.

very good for building self-confidence and strengthening presentation/public speaking skills.

pm me your location and I can tell you what club meets in your area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement