Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local honey

Options
  • 19-05-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I could buy some local honey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

The Happy Pear boys should be able to point you in the right direction. The lads live on grass , honey and bark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Greystoner wrote: »

you can buy a local honey in Amsterdam for around €50,not sure about Greystones,not into prostitution myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

heavyballs wrote: »
    you can buy a local honey in Amsterdam for around €50,not sure about Greystones,not into prostitution myself:D

er...

perhaps you're looking for After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Greystoner wrote: »

Was Greystoner watching Jamie Oliver last night? :D

I had a look and there doesnt seem to be any honey sellers/producers in Wicklow which is weird. Probably not on the internet.

I'd love to have my own hive. Saw a programme about kid making his own honey from his roof in inner London Hackney the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

There be honey out there somewhere in the county, I planted lavender in the garden to encourage the bees and they are loving it - my grandad used to have his own hives, in Kilmacanogue, and from what I can remember they don't travel too far from the hive, used to love helping him out and never remember getting stung.....

Ciaran, never mind a hive, I'd love a couple of hens !! I have tomatoes, spuds, lettuce, carrots and strawberries thriving out the back, throw in a few chooks and I'd be sorted :) o, and a wind turbine, ..... couple of goats.....a small holding in the West.....

OP have you tried the Farmers Market ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Is there a farmer's market in Greystones? I have been looking for somewhere to get nice fresh veggies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

the best veggies in Greystones can be found in Lidl !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I think the farmers market has moved from Meridian Centre to down by the Beach-house at the weekends. I could be wrong, but thought I saw a sign. I'd go to Avoca Handweavers for some Wicklow honey. The Arklow market is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

heavyballs wrote: »
    How do you know what the going rate is then?!

Was a totally innocent request for the jar kind of honey!!!!!!

Har de har!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoctxt.html#leinster

ring one of thes wicklow members and they'll point you in the right direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Maisy wrote: »
    There be honey out there somewhere in the county, I planted lavender in the garden to encourage the bees and they are loving it - my grandad used to have his own hives, in Kilmacanogue, and from what I can remember they don't travel too far from the hive, used to love helping him out and never remember getting stung.....

Ciaran, never mind a hive, I'd love a couple of hens !! I have tomatoes, spuds, lettuce, carrots and strawberries thriving out the back, throw in a few chooks and I'd be sorted :) o, and a wind turbine, ..... couple of goats.....a small holding in the West.....

OP have you tried the Farmers Market ?

...and a winery. Heaven!

Apparently, mobile phone antennas cause bees to lose the way home. They must have trouble getting a signal or something. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I'd love to have my own hive. Saw a programme about kid making his own honey from his roof in inner London Hackney the other day.

maybe ask this fella, might be able to help. Has posted in a few Dublin based forums

• Registered Users Posts: 35 egorski

There are a few bee-keepers with bees in back gardens around Greystones.
    You'd be quite surprised where they are kept!

You can buy honey on the back road out to Newtown and there
    honey is also sold by a bee-keeper on the Kilcoole beach road.

Its a little early for this years honey though - and I doubt these kind of
    honey sellers keep stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I would also like to buy local honey - the Hopsack health shop in Rathmines normally sells Rathgar honey, but they're now out of stock till the end of summer.

There's a beekeeper on Leinster Road somewhere who sells her own honey, but I haven't managed to find her yet.

May I suggest that anyone who knows of sources of local honey, anywhere in the country, post here where it can be bought? Good for buyers, good for beekeepers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I buy off the guy in Newtown. He often has a small sign up (near Coillte)

Newtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Newtown?

Newtownmountkennedy.

I haven't seen the sign up there yet, but as already said it might be a bit early.

Apparently it's been a disastrous year for honey.

It seems a lot of 'local' beekeepers don't keep hives in their gardens, because neighbours object - unlike the scene in Paris, where it's a statutory right for Parisians to keep bees, often on the rooves of apartment blocks! The parks there often have hives! Comme ca:

album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342

That image won't appear - here is the link:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoctxt.html#leinster

ring one of thes wicklow members and they'll point you in the right direction
    Thanks, found some help!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nummus

Hi,

My uncle keeps a few hives in the area, let me know if you are still interested and i will give you his number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Could you pm me his number too please. I'd love to get some real honey. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nummus

PM's sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

Could you please pm his number too me as well.

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 adopt a bee hive

Hi I'm a small beekeeper in Wicklow. I still have a small amount of cut comb honey left.

The man in Newtown died last year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackfrostwins

I would also like to buy local honey - the Hopsack health shop in Rathmines normally sells Rathgar honey, but they're now out of stock till the end of summer.

There's a beekeeper on Leinster Road somewhere who sells her own honey, but I haven't managed to find her yet.

May I suggest that anyone who knows of sources of local honey, anywhere in the country, post here where it can be bought? Good for buyers, good for beekeepers too.
    Hi, I'm in Waterford and know a guy with a little raw cut comb honey if anyone is interested.

Hi, I'm in Waterford and know a guy with a little raw cut comb honey if anyone is interested.

I'm interested! Send me a PM, if you'd be so kind.

Yes me too

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Guys, came across this via Twitter...

Charlesland News ‏@CharleslandNews
    @wicklowbees Thanks for the follow! #positivegreystones

- worth following up with Mr. (or Mrs) @wicklowbees :-)

• Advertisement

By the way, for any beekeepers looking to talk to others, there's the occasional bee thread on the Farming/Smallholders forum here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1511

Advertisement