Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin and Country cycling !!

• 19-05-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Not in Dublin that often these days and had to head in yesterday down the canal from the kilmainham to lower bag st. I was amazed at the amount of cyclists but I was more amazed how someone was not killed ... fair play to anyone that braves that everyday as the cycle lane is tiny and from what I saw the car driving was not bike friendly ... think i saw every type of cyclist and bike .. made the sitting in traffic for an hour interesting

saying that - out cycling today in the country and nearly taken out by 2 tractors and then spent various sessions out sprinting loose farm dogs until one sneaky fecker got hold of my ankle ... I could not get out of the clip in time to push him away ..

I guess we all have our hazards eh ...

on a separate note anyone else get the 'sharing space with cyclists' flyer with the car tax reminder? its a good flyer just hope people read it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

DinaElla wrote: »
    Not in Dublin that often these days and had to head in yesterday down the canal from the kilmainham to lower bag st. I was amazed at the amount of cyclists but I was more amazed how someone was not killed ... fair play to anyone that braves that everyday as the cycle lane is tiny and from what I saw the car driving was not bike friendly ... think i saw every type of cyclist and bike .. made the sitting in traffic for an hour interesting

I go that way occasionally. It's not hazardous in my experience. As always, ignoring the cycle lane as you approach junctions and taking a correct road position makes life a lot easier.
    on a separate note anyone else get the 'sharing space with cyclists' flyer with the car tax reminder? its a good flyer just hope people read it

Some discussion here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055915612&goto=newpost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

saying that - out cycling today in the country and nearly taken out by 2 tractors and then spent various sessions out sprinting loose farm dogs until one sneaky fecker got hold of my ankle ... I could not get out of the clip in time to push him away ..

Next time spray them in the face with a water bottle. It works a treat, the look of shock and indignation is priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Lumen wrote: »
    Next time spray them in the face with a water bottle. It works a treat, the look of shock and indignation is priceless.

OR turn around and chase after any dog that's chasing you. They always retreat. Always! I'm amazed that more people don't do this to be honest.
    As tomrojo said, cycling on the canals is perfectly safe as long as you don't stick rigidly to that red bit in the gutter masquerading as a cycle path. Cycle like you would drive only let people past when it's sensible to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Not in Dublin that often these days and had to head in yesterday down the canal from the kilmainham to lower bag st. I was amazed at the amount of cyclists but I was more amazed how someone was not killed ... fair play to anyone that braves that everyday as the cycle lane is tiny and from what I saw the car driving was not bike friendly ... think i saw every type of cyclist and bike .. made the sitting in traffic for an hour interesting ...

I'm a bit puzzled as to where you mean. Cycle lane is fine all along the canal. The only tight spot on that route is at Kilmainham, between S Circular road and the bypass, and then only on the side going out of town, outside the Hilton. Where there no lane, and no space on the road. But you just take up the lane for 500m or so it takes.

Kilmainham isn't bike friendly at all though. Drivers all seems to be desperate rush through there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Lumen wrote: »
    coolbeans wrote: »
    OR turn around and chase after any dog that's chasing you. They always retreat.
    It's funny - recently enough (Tour de Foothills I think) a sheepdog with a half white half black face (looked psycho) comes trotting out of a gate towards me and I knew he was up to mischief. I gave a couple of angry barks at him (throaty WOW WOW WOW type barks) and he turned on his heel and charged back in :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I cycle down the canal that way ever day. It's grand. Never been a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

coolbeans wrote: »
    OR turn around and chase after any dog that's chasing you. They always retreat. Always! I'm amazed that more people don't do this to be honest.

If anyone owns a dog they will understand why this is. Dogs are protective of their patch, some more so than others.
    Thats why dogs bark at postmen.
    Postman arrives, dog starts barking, postman approaches door, dog barks louder, postman retreats & leaves.
    In the dogs mind, he's done a successful job of chasing away the postman.

Same thing with dogs that chase cars & bikes. They'll continue to do so as in their head it seems to work & their action, barking and/or chasing results in the car or cyclist leaving.

Now if you stop, or turn around and approach the dog, he gets very confused, and will almost always scarper.
    However, if he stands his ground, then begins to growl, time to back away.
    A growl is a warning before a bite, so pay attention. Don't turn and run though, just back away until the dog has calmed down, then off on your merry way.

If you're not too confident of trying it on a bike, do it in the car next time - slow down, turn the car towards the dog - watch him run. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Not in Dublin that often these days and had to head in yesterday down the canal from the kilmainham to lower bag st. I was amazed at the amount of cyclists but I was more amazed how someone was not killed ... fair play to anyone that braves that everyday as the cycle lane is tiny and from what I saw the car driving was not bike friendly ...

It's not bad at all, fellow cyclists can be your biggest worry.

Advertisement