Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucy Kennedy on the radio

• 19-05-2010 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Sweet divine mother of Jesus, deliver us !!

"Why you don't you ring in with your worst break up story?" Christ almighty.

I live in the South East and I swear it's turning into a stupid competition on the radio in the morning. But Lucy Kennedy, oh please, go back, WHEREVER you came from, go back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Sweet divine mother of Jesus, deliver us !!

"Why you don't you ring in with your worst break up story?" Christ almighty.

I live in the South East and I swear it's turning into a stupid competition on the radio in the morning. But Lucy Kennedy, oh please, go back, WHEREVER you came from, go back.

Sounds like this would be your best break up story should Lucy follow your advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I've slagged him occasionally and praised him too...I really miss Gerry Ryan from the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Going by the tone of the posts here and elsewhere about Lucy Kennedy it looks to me like people have already made up their minds and are making The Big Switch away from Lucy Kennedy in the coveted mid-morning slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

She always sounds as if she is having a great time and everything is wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I like her :o So bad its kind of good radio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

She's not good on the radio and as for that jim guy send him back to his earley slot and even thats rubbish. I think the Gerry Ryan show slot should be changed alltogether it will never be the same again without Gerry thats my opinion anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

tuned in this morning to judge...

Q. is she always so shouty?

shouting over her co-broadcaster....

also whats with the slutty talk? I thought she was in a relationship /just had a baby....

so professional and oh so not annoying... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

If she is the woman presenting the 9-12 slot on RTE2, then I turned off ages ago. I couldn't stand her constant butting in with stupid points, and it seemed she was desperately trying to compete with the other presenter to be noticed.

The whole thing had an air about it of two presenters forced into a pigsty together and forced to make the best of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

She's bad alright

And even though Colm Hayes is also painful to listen to, at least he has 20 years + braodcasting experience and you could understand why they would put him in there as a temporary measure. Lucy just looked half decent alongside a couple of unfunny puppets, got a few laughts from the lowest common denominator brigade and from that point was marked down by RTE as its lastest bright young thing - someone who could "connect" with their target (TV) audience.

Whatever about TV where she can for example put on a bikini for a slot on No Frontiers or smile on the Bord Gais ads, she has nothing going for her as a radio presenter. Its not her fault she has no radio ability whatsoever -its the fault of whoever in RTE radio put her in there.

Her position is analagous to that of Steve Staunton when appointed manager of the Irish football team with zero experience.

Thankfully its only for few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

lucy was fine on podge and rodge right but once she got her own shows and we got to see more of her people found out she actually quite annoying. her laugh at the start was a novelty almost that wore thin very quickly after p+r.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

i think The days of RTE choosing a presenter because of their talent is long gone. They got rid of, or allowed to leave, most of their talent; people like Gerry Wilson, Ian Dempsey, Mark Byrne, Tony Fenton, Phil Cawley, Declan Meehan, Mark Cagney, Mike Moloney, Simon Young. They replaced them with talentless eye candy and comedians that aren't very funny. The commercial sector snapped up some of their rejects and have snapped up many of their listeners along with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

i think The days of RTE choosing a presenter because of their talent is long gone. They got rid of, or allowed to leave, most of their talent; people like Gerry Wilson, Ian Dempsey, Mark Byrne, Tony Fenton, Phil Cawley, Declan Meehan, Mark Cagney, Mike Moloney, Simon Young. They replaced them with talentless eye candy and comedians that aren't very funny. The commercial sector snapped up some of their rejects and have snapped up many of their listeners along with

The figures for RTE listeners are very high, and to suggest that the names you mention in your post have sucked the listeners out of RTE jsut isn't born out by the figures I've seen.

There used to be a gerry Ryan thread here where a couple of guys used to regularly claim that Gerry's 300 000+ listeners were the default position for 9-12 on a weekday morning, and had nothing to do with Gerry Ryan, for it was only luck, they said, which gave him that time slot and audience.

We'll see when the figures come out for the current presenters who come over to me as piss poor and untalented.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tim63

colms doing a decent job and growing all the time, better on his own though, being such a shallow pool to pick from though, i would get someone like steve wright from the beeb, or a tommy boyd, if you havent heard of him then google.... he's a class act and never a dull moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

They were an odd choice to begin with. Gerry Ryan might not have been everyone's cup of tea (he wasn't mine) but he was good at his job and he did have a certain charisma. That some of his listeners were genuinely upset when he died says a lot about how he reached out to people and struck a chord with them. I can't think of too many radio presenters in Ireland who would inspire those sort of feelings in people.

A big problem is that neither Colm nor Lucy are particularly likeable characters IMHO. They do alright when they're doing programs with a set format but I don't think they're suited to a show like what they're presenting. Let's not forget she made it big by being a foil to a pair of potty-mouthed puppets and by presenting trashy TV shows. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what 2fm puts in G Ryan's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Firetrap wrote: »
    Let's not forget she made it big by being a foil to a pair of potty-mouthed puppets and by presenting trashy TV shows.

And there I was, thinking that she's completely lacking in any talent whatsoever.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I liked her when she filled in for Ian Dempsey, and think she's grand now on 2FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I hated her the first day, but listened in again today. She is actually not too bad.

I think the thing that turns me off her is the tone of her voice. Every thing she says sounds very aggressive.

Dinkie wrote: »
    I hated her the first day, but listened in again today. She is actually not too bad.

I think the thing that turns me off her is the tone of her voice. Every thing she says sounds very aggressive.

someone told me she used to be cabin crew with AerLingus, that might explain the tone....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Barname wrote: »
    someone told me she used to be cabin crew with AerLingus, that might explain the tone....

Cabin crew with Aer Lingus...mm...maybe that would explain it ?

I hate to sit on the fence but I think she is talentless / bell voiced / agressive and egotistical.....

Furthermore the two hander just does not work ..each one trying desperately to make an impression.

Could she not just fock off back to Bord Gais and stop annoying us all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Today was decent from what I heard of it. The vet segment was pretty enjoyable.

She is getting better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Has a day gone by yet where she hasnt mentioned that she has a baby boy called Jack ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Gerry Ryan was an exceptional broadcaster.There simply isn't a comparable talent in Ireland.Lucy and anyone else was on a hiding to nothing sitting in the maestros chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Its painful to listen to....RTE will take a hammering in the figures over this train wreck and will lose a shedload of ad money.
    MJ23 wrote: »
    Has a day gone by yet where she hasnt mentioned that she has a baby boy called Jack ?

Slightly off topic but Tom Dunne is the same...any time I tune in he's on about his kids...

If i talked about my kid they way they do I'd have no friends.

Real ones.....not the ones in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

For the love and honour of God would somebody please take that gob***** off the radio, Colm isn't too bad, But Lucy grates my cheese. Shes such a muppet, I no longer listen to 2fm during the day as I can't tolerate that little yorkshire terrier yapping between 9 and 12.

Please RTE I'm crying out, put someone else on the radio before you have no listeners left at all. Surely in this great nation of ours we have someone with an ounce of talent to fill our airwaves. Yes Gerry left very big shoes to fill and we don't expect miracles over night, but you have to make a better effort than this dribble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Doesnt seem to be a lot of chemistry between the two. They could be in separate studios for all of the interaction between them.

Woman on there now whos husband named their child after one of the characters out of Lord Of The Rings... éothain I think.. What a selfish, stupid thing to do.. child will spend their life spelling and repeat their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Heard so much negative stuff about her that I had to tune in today - I lasted five minutes. She's terrible. Her cod-culchie accent - you know, the one reserved for reading out texts from the povs - is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davidcwomble

As i have said in the past with 2fm they really need to have a cull much like in the way bbc radio 1 did in the early 90's and look to the outside of Donnybrook for talent and not just to hire friends of friends in RTE as it has been in the past.

Yes people it's sour grapes.
    Fecking hate them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mega Buddy

Have listened in a couple of times and it almost made my ears bleed. I personally think that she is talentless on air, and has quite a high opinion of herself.

After hearing her describe herself as an 'A list celeb' on tv last year, it really changed my opinion of her and her abilities.

I think that Colm would be much better off filling the slot on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Mega Buddy wrote: »

Have to agree there, I could get used to him on his own but can't stand Lucy constantly interrupting him.

• Advertisement

Mega Buddy wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Daddy worked in rte, thats how she got into montrose.

skelliser wrote: »
    Daddy worked in rte, thats how she got into montrose.

Thank God for that, there was I thinking nepotism played a part.... /

where is Lucy today?

Colm is solo...

apologies.... she has surfaced......... tuning out now /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chasingcars

Colm is doing a good job. He can tell a stroy and has a bit of experience. I would like to hear him on his own and be allowed to run the show. Lucy on the other hand is absolutely terrible. If RTE must insist on her being part of the show she could be the "roving reporter".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dont worry eamonn keane will be taking over shortly!

• Advertisement

dont worry eamonn keane will be taking over shortly!

lmao

a real friend of Eamon would not make such an outrageous claim.

as damaged as Gerry was, keane is no worthy replacement, not worthy whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Give Brendan O Carroll the slot,that guy is hilarious with his missis Doyle impersonations sure wouldn't it be great a couple hours of his jokes in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

beagle001 wrote: »
    Give Brendan O Carroll the slot,that guy is hilarious with his missis Doyle impersonations sure wouldn't it be great a couple hours of his jokes in the morning

I'd rather be interrogated by The Gestapo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

beagle001 wrote: »

Oh please no, can't stand the man. His comedy is incredibly dated.

Just the image of him going around all the time with his glasses on his bald head makes my blood boil....never seen anybody else do that!

As for Lucy, I think she's ok. She doesn't have a lot of radio experience and she has got better as time has gone on. Remember she is only a stop gap. Very interesting to see what happens next week.

Anyone hear her doing the "how you Doin" thing? Fúcking hell, i go red in the face when i hear it, its so cringey.

• Advertisement

Is the lucy on the radio experiment over yet, just want to know if its safe to turn on the radio in the car in the mornings???

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Hector and Tommy for the job cheer us all up they would.............or maybe coax Tom Dunne from news talk

Mad jesty wrote: »
    Is the lucy on the radio experiment over yet, just want to know if its safe to turn on the radio in the car in the mornings???

you need to be careful, bord gais have gone on an advertising blitz, we are being subjected to Lucy night and day on both TV and Radio

who knew bad talent could have it so good?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mega Buddy

Barname wrote: »
    who knew bad talent could have it so good?

Couldn't have put it better myself. It really is cringe radio when she is on. Her constant talking over Colm and coming out with utter sh*te that nobody really gives a damn about.

May as well just call it the Lucy show as all she seem's to do is talk about herself!!

I took one for the team this morning by listening to the show for over 1 hour

that guy Colm is quite good, he listens, thinks, responds

Lucy is just a mouth, spouting irrelevant comments with bad timing

If RTE are smart, they will dump Lucy and give Colm the spot, solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭clyhh

Ah lads.... Give the Lady a break, she's not THAT bad.
    Do I smell "Eau de Jealosuy" here?? Think so!!

jazoo wrote: »
    Hector and Tommy for the job cheer us all up they would.............or maybe coax Tom Dunne from news talk

Hector and Tommy, are you serious? Two fúcking gobshíts from Naaaavan, they're unbearable to listen to. As for Tom Dunne, the most boring man in the country, you'd swear he was the only man in the world to have children.

Well, I thought they (Tommy & Hector)
    were great yesterday really enjoyed their show. I think they would make a great job of the Mon to Fri slot, they are not afraid of a bit of smut and a good laugh.
    quote from the show '' Did yer ma ever hit ya with the tin opener when she was too out of it ta open yer dinner''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Lucy let her happy clappy mask slip the other day.

Colm played the stereophonics song that goes “maybe tomorrow Ill find my way home” in memory of stuart cable.

Then he added as an aside “I suppose someone is going to text in telling us stuart cable didn’t drum on that track”, and Lucy lets out a vicious what - EVER, in a “what-ever, get over it looser” tone of voice.

She obviously considers herself completely above criticism – needs a reality check badly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Lucy let her happy clappy mask slip the other day.

Colm played the stereophonics song that goes “maybe tomorrow Ill find my way home” in memory of stuart cable.

Then he added as an aside “I suppose someone is going to text in telling us stuart cable didn’t drum on that track”, and Lucy lets out a vicious what - EVER, in a “what-ever, get over it looser” tone of voice.

She obviously considers herself completely above criticism – needs a reality check badly.

Strange analysis.

Ive heard her do that on TV. In your defence that statement is a bit hard to gauge without seeing her body language.

• Advertisement
Advertisement