Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 Pin1 is Useless:How to get PUK1

Options
  • 20-05-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

A friend accidentally typed the wrong sim pin into their o2.ie phone 3 times and it locked.
    When we turned the phone off and on it would ask for the PUK number.
    We didn't have it with us, so we dialed 1747 to speak to the o2 customer service. It was 10pm and their where no operators available, so we phoned again and followed all the instructions, ie (press 1 to wait, press 2 to die of boredom and still wait), eventually we got an option for sim PUK codes.
    It told us to enter the phone number for the phone/sim that requires the PUK code.
    I entered the mobile number and it read out the PUK code.

I thought this is too easy and got an unopened sim pack from the drawers, We could read the mobile number from the back of it, but the PUK number was on the inside so we couldn't read it.

We decided to see if we could get the PUK from o2 and then check it with the unopened sim pack PUK.

We dialed 1747 (btw this will cost you 14c in total for the call), followed the automated operator's instructions and entered to number of the phone that we wanted the PUK for, and the automated operator read it out matching it 100%.

In my opinion the o2 sim lock is a complete waste of time if all you need to do is enter 3 wrong attempts and then get the PUK without any security checks.

Try it for yourselves with one of them free sim packs there giving everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Daryll @ o2, can you confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I've done it many a time without any verification too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've complained many times to o2 about their apparent disregard for account security but never followed it up as an official complaint.

I'm of the opinion that all networks need to sort out their security in this regard and start taking our accounts seriously.

Advertisement