Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Merged> Bono isn't the Worst/Bono is the worst

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well, bono, without a doubt has done more than the combined efforts from ye people in this thread could ever do for another human being.

Is it because he doesn't pay taxes here? Why should he? He has a business, that's what business do. He is not evading taxes is he? If so then that's bad, but he isn't doing that.

If any of ye had the chance to avoid paying taxes, ye would, and don't lie about it. Like any business, he is entitled to locate it where he wants.

People can't stand him because of his success, it's like most successful Irish people, ye find something the ye don't like about that person and blow it way out of proportion. Ye can't stand to see another being successful.

If ya don't like his music so be it, but that doesn't make him a príck, or a scumbag etc etc. While I prefer his earlier music, I don't judge him over the less favourable songs he made.

Fair play to ya Bono, for all you and your band have done to raise awareness for the less unfortunate people around the globe. I would worry less about the jealousy and envy displayed here.

Sure I guess it's ok to whine, it's what us Irish are best at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Well, bono, without a doubt has done more than the combined efforts from ye people in this thread could ever do for another human being.

Is it because he doesn't pay taxes here? Why should he? He has a business, that's what business do. He is not evading taxes is he? If so then that's bad, but he isn't doing that.

If any of ye had the chance to avoid paying taxes, ye would, and don't lie about it. Like any business, he is entitled to locate it where he wants.

People can't stand him because of his success, it's like most successful Irish people, ye find something the ye don't like about that person and blow it way out of proportion. Ye can't stand to see another being successful.

If ya don't like his music so be it, but that doesn't make him a príck, or a scumbag etc etc. While I prefer his earlier music, I don't judge him over the less favourable songs he made.

Fair play to ya Bono, for all you and your band have done to raise awareness for the less unfortunate people around the globe. I would worry less about the jealousy and envy displayed here.

If he cares so much about all them poor people around the world..he should put his money where his lipless mouth is and give his substantial fortune to these "deserving" people,maybe keep a few million for himself to cover hair dye and platform shoes.

If there's one thing i cannot stand its a multimillionare "campaigning" on behalf of poverty..he's still not shy about milking people for concert tickets and albums and downloads and what have you..all to end up in his offshore bank account...in what way is accumalating personal wealth helping the poor and hungry??

Give it to africa yourself Bono and shut your fcucking mouth,i for one dont want to listen to you,you tax-dodging,greedy little hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It's true that most businesses will try and limit their tax liability. However, most businesses don't lecture the rest of us about our lack of charitable giving.

Bono lobbied the Govt to keep their commitment in donating 0.7% of GDP as development aid to poorer countries (a very admirable cause, might I add). However, Bono was unwilling to contribute his own tax money to this effort; he'd rather see the PAYE workers pick up the tab.

Bono is a hypocrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Degsy wrote: »
    If he cares so much about all them poor people around the world..he should put his money where his lipless mouth is and give his substantial fortune to these "deserving" people,maybe keep a few million for himself to cover hair dye and platform shoes.

I'm presuming you're trolling now and just taking the p1ss, right?

See my earlier post, U2 still do pay substantial taxes in Ireland. Check it out for yourself.
    Also, do you seriously think that Bono does not give money to charity?? Never mind the amount of his own time (away from his own family) he dedicates to physically being there for charities, he gives substantial prtions of his own wealth away. Of course he's in a catch 22 situation here because if he advertised that fact then you would have more ammo to attack him with.

Jeez, people should be directing their anger towards our government and not the people who actually give a sh1t and are doing something about the state of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I love Bono's music and could listen to it all day.

His babbling orations, unorthodox humanitarianism and philantrophy is his own business and I for one couldn't care less what he gets up to.

Neither should you.

Keep writing the songs Bono and if you want to keep up whatever good work that you believe you are trying to do, then go right ahead. You're not bothering anybody except those that care to be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

If there's one thing i cannot stand its a multimillionare "campaigning" on behalf of poverty..he's still not shy about milking people for concert tickets and albums and downloads and what have you..all to end up in his offshore bank account...in what way is accumalating personal wealth helping the poor and hungry??

Give it to africa yourself Bono and shut your fcucking mouth,i for one dont want to listen to you,you tax-dodging,greedy little hypocrite.

You're embarrasing yourself now with your hatred and jealousy. Why would he give all his money away? He's involved in numerous charities so i'm sure he gives plenty!!
    Would you think he's not a "scumbag" if he lived in a cardboard box or would it be better if he never tried to make a difference and didnt lobby politicians around the world?

Fair enough the man talks enough sh1te but to call him scumbag makes you seem a bit simple. Also he would still be paying taxes in Ireland personally which I don't think you understand.

It probably sounds like I really like Bono and defend him rabidly. Truth is I wouldn't give the chap a second thought usually, its the hatred on here which made me think of him. As annoying as he can be I'm proud of what he's done for Ireland and the World, you won't see many celebs sitting with Obama having a serious discussion on Foreign Policy.

Also I'm one of the "owns 4 cds" people another poster mentioned earlier but you would swear U2 wouldn't sell out the local pub they way some of you go on. They're not as bad as all the RnB muck thats topping the charts these days. They are ONE OF THE BIGGEST BANDS IN THE WORLD EVER!!

Big Mouth wrote: »
    ONE OF THE BIGGEST BANDS IN THE WORLD EVER!!

And he is one of the biggest hypocrites in the world ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,699 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The biggest myth surrounding the likes of Bono and Geldof and the big white chiefs dictating in Africa is that they are doing great work; really, they are creating more bloody problems with their meddling and lecturing and egos. And ****ing none of it is really sincere. It reeks of self interest and ego and publicity.

As far as I am aware, this man and others who are saving Africa have done next to
    nothing in their own country as regards help and charity.

walshb wrote: »
    The biggest myth surrounding the likes of Bono and Geldof and the big white chiefs dictating in Africa is that they are doing great work; really, they are creating more bloody problems with their meddling and lecturing and egos. And ****ing none of it is really sincere. It reeks of self interest and ego and publicity.

As far as I am aware, this man and others who are saving Africa have done next to

Its another example of Great white Guilt..based on the assumption that third world people are in some way inferior..a salve to the conscience and nothing more.
    What did Live Aid acheive fior africa??Did it put paid to hunger and starvation?
    No it didnt but it made amultimillionaire out of that lanky bastard Geldof.
    As an old Punk album used to say
    "Pictures of starving children sell records".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Jeeze i've had enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I'm Bono the PPPRRRIIIIIDDDEEE of the nation
    Though I sing like I've got constipation
    About zoo's and GAAAAAD and elevation
    YEAOHW YEOHHH chhhooon in to the U2 TV station

Yeaaoooh Or buy an IPhone with a U2 Logo
    Get your U2 laptop and consumer goods a GOGO
    Think of all the poor little black babies
    that can't see U2 and even have rabies

One day they too maybe can see the show
    YeeeeooooHHHAHH WhhhhhOOOO OOOhhhhh
    We were good, then average now we're DIRE !!!
    Aahhh my ringpiece is on unforgettable FIREEE !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

What did Live Aid acheive fior africa??

It more than doubled the population of Ethiopia (39m in 1984 to 80m in 2008) making even more hungry mouths to feed.

Well doner Boner, Geldof and the rest of the big-haired ponces.

I read somewher that african countries have spent in the region of 180 billion dollars on wars in recent times.

Almost exactly how much the west has given them in aid.

bonerm wrote: »
    It more than doubled the population of Ethiopia (39m in 1984 to 80m in 2008) making even more hungry mouths to feed.

+1

Which highlights perfectly my point about their egos and meddling causing more problems than solving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Come now. Lot worse than Bono.

Lot worse.

Stalin. Mao Tse Tung. Torquemodo. Jedward.

Lot worse.

+1

Which highlights perfectly my point about their egos and meddling causing more problems than solving.

Trying to big themselves up in the eyes of the record-buying public,thats all they're doing,with maybe a soupcon of guilt about how wealthy they are.

If they wanna help the starving people,they should don sackcloth and ashes and go and live amongst them..i'm sure they'll be treated like the Gods that they are.

They'd probably be eaten...

I remember Bernard Manning's very witty joke about his mate, a nosy twat,
    who went off to Africa to help the starving, and "they ****ing ate him.":)

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

tsk...the attitude of irish people towards Bono is embarassing.

but there is no point in talking about him when people like Pete Doherty, Amy winehouse, Kate Moss and lady Gaga are considered really "cool" by the most of you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

everytime tiiiiiiiime someone posts in this thread ... a child dies in afirca :pac:

Blackpitts wrote: »
    tsk...the attitude of irish people towards Bono is embarassing.

but there is no point in talking about him when people like Pete Doherty, Amy winehouse, Kate Moss and lady Gaga are considered really "cool" by the most of you....

No, none of them are cool. Gaga is very talented, but cool?

Pete is a junkie, as is Moss. Bono is quite simply the smuggest little runt I have ever seen in the celeb world. Forget Africa and his "crusading." The mere look of the man and smug nature does it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

He doesn't have to donate money, why should he? He's doing enough as it is. Either way, does anybody actually know if he donates any money or not?
    El Tarangu wrote: »
    It's true that most businesses will try and limit their tax liability. However, most businesses don't lecture the rest of us about our lack of charitable giving.

Bono lobbied the Govt to keep their commitment in donating 0.7% of GDP as development aid to poorer countries (a very admirable cause, might I add). However, Bono was unwilling to contribute his own tax money to this effort; he'd rather see the PAYE workers pick up the tab.

Bono is a hypocrite

Do most businesses raise awareness and the likes for causes? No? Thought so. He is already doing enough, but that's not good enough for ye, why?

He has certainly done a lot more than you will ever do in your lifetime, that's a fact.

Either way, do you have any proof for this or are you just speculating, as per usual?
    bonerm wrote: »

Link? Evidence? Are you actually claiming that live aid doubled the population of Ethiopia?
    +1

And you are agreeing with him? Fcuking lol...

bossa_nova wrote: »
    everytime tiiiiiiiime someone posts in this thread ... a child dies in afirca :pac:

Well for fcucks sake stop posting!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I <3 Degsy.

In a manly non-contact sports way, of course.

He has certainly done a lot more than you will ever do in your lifetime, that's a fact.

Yeah, a lot more ****ing harm he has done, hence my point....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Trying to big themselves up in the eyes of the record-buying public,thats all they're doing,with maybe a soupcon of guilt about how wealthy they are.

If they wanna help the starving people,they should don sackcloth and ashes and go and live amongst them..

So performing charitable work is meaningless if you are rich ?

What is charitable about lecturing and begging off governments around the world to continue to throw money at Africa. What is so charitable about promoting population increase in Africa, a continent that for many years could not feed its population, yet we have him and others promoting family and increase? I fail to see anything charitable about this. It's downright ludicrous and insulting to the continent.

Africa's biggest problem is the big white chief in the West wanting to dictate and lecture the continent non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

bossa_nova wrote: »

Phew.....had me worried there...

So long as they don't die in Africa I'm happy :p

No but prating on to a nation of people who arent rich about how they should donate more of thier money to a cause that isnt working whilst being rich is the act of a hypocrite.

What work is he actually doing?Fcuck all...preaching and grandstanding to people who've paid to hear him sing,a captive audience.
    He'll never put an end to the corruption of african politics and he'll never teach the people self-sufficiency.
    He's a phony,a rich man trying to end poverty and a tax exile exhorting people to pay more tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mostly, yes - beyond that of self promotion & making yourself feel better. However his work to have the superpowers reduce/ remove Africa's debt repayments, could arguably be quite a noble & worthwhile cause.

• Advertisement

However his work to have the superpowers reduce/ remove Africa's debt repayments, could arguably be quite a noble & worthwhile cause.

Or he could give them a few quid himself..the annoying little bollocks

Advertisement