Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with UPC Broadband-a little help?

• 20-05-2010 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently have 3mb broadband with eircom and UPC are offering a good deal to upgrade to 15mb with tv etc, just looking to know:

A. Is UPC bb reliable, as I've never had any problems with eircom?

B. I've read a few times that UPC will not let you into their cisco wireless router, currently I have several wireless access points for media players etc configured arounf the house and I get in to the eircom wirless router no problem, has anybody experiences with this and any advice before I sign up?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

UPC is not the most reliable internet out there.

However, I'm a heavy downloader (200 GB or so per month) and UPC suits me fine. I have the 'modem only' hardware, which allows me to connect my own router and have control of whatever I need.

I've previously used Smart (pre-Digiweb buyout) and while they were technically a much better ISP, UPC is cheaper.

It's the same price/performance choice I made with my mobile provider. I'm on the phone 500-ish minutes per month, some international, and some mobile internet too. Was previously with Vodafone - flawless service, but €150 per month. Now with Meteor - the occasional call drops while on a cross-country journey, and signal's not as good in the middle of nowhere... but my bill is €90-€100 per month. Not as good a service, but worth the saving.

In my view, UPC is worth the gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Wouldn't recommend UPC to an enemy. It's absolutely shit.

I've a 24 mb install and it's just not worth the money and fuss over it and I will be moving away from this retarded company as soon as I can. The broadband just goes quite frequently, comes back when it feels like it and then goes again. Previously it would disconnect for hours on end, then reconnect and then go again. Eventually we had a service person come to the house to fix it, who basically said whoever installed it did a really, really bad job and that he hoped it wouldn't happen again.

The TV is ****e and it regularly says a channel isn't included in the package when it is.

And to top it off they're really, really, really spammy and the hindu sales team down in Cork is constantly ringing me, sometimes up to 8 times in a day if I don't answer. I rang back and told them if they continued harrassing me I'd be contacting the gardai and the inbred little retards keep leaving me content-less voicemails.

Their sales team number is 0212338600 and if you google it, you'll see they've a huge history of spamming customers and harrassing them, as well as other people having contacted the gardai on them.

Their customer service overall is attrocious and with the ****ty reputation NTL and Chorus gained for themselves, they should literally be prevented from changing their name and trying to discard their history.

Do not use UPC, pay a little extra and get a quality service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

As a contrary to the last poster , I've had no major problems with UPC and I'm on 30Mb. I guess it depends on where you are and whether your cables have been upgraded. Where about's in the country are you?

There are two modem types doing the rounds Scientific Atlanta (modem only, just stick your own router at the end of it) and the Cisco all-in-one unit. A lot of people have reported a lot of problems with the Cisco modem/router, however it is possible to turn bridging on, and this converts it into a router only and people have reported no problems with it's operation in this mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I have UPC 30mb broadband. It is great, very reliable and super fast. I have the Cisco router/modem but have it working in bridge mode - using my own Linksys router.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Parsons

Rb wrote: »
    Wouldn't recommend UPC to an enemy. It's absolutely shit.

And to top it off they're really, really, really spammy and the hindu sales team down in Cork is constantly ringing me, sometimes up to 8 times in a day if I don't answer. I rang back and told them if they continued harrassing me I'd be contacting the gardai and the inbred little retards keep leaving me content-less voicemails.

Yes, I do agree UPC is absolute crap but what role religion (hindu) has to play here? Maybe you meant Indian sales ppl? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'd take your rant a bit more serious RB if you even knew what BB packages UPC have.

They don't, and have never had, a 24MB service, so you must be the only one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rb, infraction given.

Lets remain civil shall we

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I too have UPC (tv/phone/broadband) - it's cheaper than sky and eircom - that's the good thing about it. For at least 2 - 3 days per month we have no broadband in the house (no explanation given) and my son experiences "lagging" on the X-box since we moved from Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Have UPC myself.. for about 4 years now i guess.. Im on the 10mb package now using one of the old modems..

The BB has never gone down(bar power outages) its unbelievable.. Speed is constantly between 8.0 and 9.5 mb whenever its checked..
    I have an x-box and never have problems with lag..

Guess it depends on where your located!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

UPC: You'll either be blessed with a perfect broadband connection, or end up in broadband hell with constant, random interruptions to the service and terrible support from a support centre that constantly brags about how many awards it has won despite being about as technical as a cabbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Droichead

I have UPC tv basic package with no complaints - great picture ! Am thinking of moving from UTV phone.broadband (3mb) as the UPC 'exchange' underground box is directly in front of my house - so I should get the full 5mb that they offer. It is also cheaper than UTV.
    :cool:

Droichead wrote: »
    I have UPC tv basic package with no complaints - great picture ! Am thinking of moving from UTV phone.broadband (3mb) as the UPC 'exchange' underground box is directly in front of my house - so I should get the full 5mb that they offer. It is also cheaper than UTV.
    :cool:

Distance to the UPC cabinet doesn't make a difference.

They're a cable operater so the line speed doesn't deteriorate as it will with DSL.

You can be 5 miles or 5 meters and it'd be the same.

Not that that means you'll get a good service.
    It realy does seem to depend on the area.

From what I've seen here most UPC BB problems tend to be in Dublin and the surrounding areas (most not all).

I live in Limerick and have never had a problem.

It's down to the cabling in the area, and NTL it seems were much worse at laying cables than Chorus.
    (Again, just guessing here).
    While omst of the network has been replaced by UPC, some areas are still not up to scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I live in Athlone and im on the 5MB BB from UPC, and its been rock solid ever since I got it over a year ago.
    I hate their TV interface,so I stick with Sky for the telly and Sky + (I nearly love it as much as George Hook does !! )

Parsons wrote: »
    Yes, I do agree UPC is absolute crap but what role religion (hindu) has to play here? Maybe you meant Indian sales ppl? :confused:

Indian/Pakistani or even native Cork people, I don't care who they are but if they can't understand the message "Stop spamming me, do not contact me again or I'm going to the Gardai" then they're unsuited to a job dealing with customers. If they can't understand English properly, then they're particularly unsuited to a job dealing with customers in an English speaking country.

I'm sure UPC got them in at a very good price though, and I'm sure that's all that matters to that shambolic mess of a company.
    I'd take your rant a bit more serious RB if you even knew what BB packages UPC have.

They don't, and have never had, a 24MB service, so you must be the only one.

I got confused between the eircom package and the 30mb package we have, as Eircom were just rolling out their larger package while we were moving to UPC. If only the Eircom rep who was trying to convince us to stay had told us we could get the 24mb line cheap (my brother pays an extra €5 per month on top of what he was paying for 7mb) I would have never come near NTL/UPC/Chorus/Whatever. Similarly, sky offered us a free HD/+ box if we stayed and a free month, gutted we moved to UPC now tbh :o

I got confused between the eircom package and the 30mb package we have, as Eircom were just rolling out their larger package while we were moving to UPC. If only the Eircom rep who was trying to convince us to stay had told us we could get the 24mb line cheap (my brother pays an extra €5 per month on top of what he was paying for 7mb) I would have never come near NTL/UPC/Chorus/Whatever. Similarly, sky offered us a free HD/+ box if we stayed and a free month, gutted we moved to UPC now tbh :o

Everyone's of course entitled to their opinion, but do you not see the irony in slamming UPC's sales agents, while assuming that Eircoms and Sky's agents aren't doing the exact same thing?

All Sales agents want is a Sale, they'll tell you and promise you the moon, and that doesn't matter where they work.
    They're working on commission and after teh sale is made their hands are washed of it, so of course they make promises.

TBH I never trust a Sales agent, plain and simple.

The reason that people refer to UPC being cheaper than Sky and Eircom is because they are.
    Always make sure of what you're signing up for, cause I can tell you that no matter what the Eircom or Sky sales agents told you, you wouldn't be paying less for anything comparable with UPC.

They are cheaper, and unfortunately sometimes, you get what you pay for.

I worked in sales for years and have never witnessed such harassment. When in insurance, we'd regularly call a client once per day or every second day to keep the pressure on to renew/sign up which was bad, but I've literally had 8 missed calls from UPC in one single day which is beyond ridiculous.

I think in two years of being with Eircom, I got maybe one sales call? And I don't think I ever heard from Sky, although I *could* have been contacted once.

The UPC crowd also never left voicemails, they'd just leave messages of someone breathing or some other bs. The main number they were calling me off was 0214852700, which when googled will bring you to this. As you can see, there's plenty of people pissed off about their behaviour on that number as it is. The number in the first post I made here was the latest number, which also yields complaints when searched.

It's not normal or tolerable sales behaviour and they should be ashamed of themselves. The only company I've ever had come close to this was Betfair who at the very least left voicemails explaining who they are, what they wanted, when they'd call back etc.

I was with Eircom and Sky for 2 years iirc and had one issue with Eircom, which was dealt with a little badly but overall was a fine experience. Combined they're well more expensive than UPC/NTL/Chorus but the quality is so much better that it's actually worth the extra few euro per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Indian/Pakistani or even native Cork people, I don't care who they are but if they can't understand the message "Stop spamming me, do not contact me again or I'm going to the Gardai" then they're unsuited to a job dealing with customers. If they can't understand English properly, then they're particularly unsuited to a job dealing with customers in an English speaking country.

I'm sure UPC got them in at a very good price though, and I'm sure that's all that matters to that shambolic mess of a company.

FYI...UPC's Helpcentre is in Limerick.

Just thought I'd bump this with a litte update :)

UPC kept contacting me with their automated service of 0212338600 which just keeps ringing and hanging up, so yesterday I called their sales team which is behind it on 0818272827 and spoke to a sales rep called "Johnny" who assured me it wouldn't happen again and that my number would be taken off their marketing list immediately.

Well, low and behold I get a nice missed call from 0212338600 this evening so rang back and asked to speak directly to a manager in their sales team.

This is where it gets really beautiful.

The sales rep said she'd transfer me and then failed to put me on hold properly and I sat there and listened while she, and her colleagues, took the piss out of me for demanding to speak to a manager. After sitting there listening to their **** for a minute or two, I then get transferred to "Jake", their manager. By now I'm completely steaming at the incompetent little rats and amn't interested in hearing some pathetic little excuse for them keeping me on the marketing list when I had explicitly asked to be removed. He didn't have any answers anyway, surprise surprise.

They're unbelievable. Second worst company I have ever dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

They're unbelievable. Second worst company I have ever dealt with.
    just out of curiosity, who was the worst?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Only problem I had was with the speed upgrade not working at the speed it should (15mb), went back to 10mB and I always get full speed 24 hours a day and never once have been disconnected.

I think UPC's broadband is the best I have used

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    just out of curiosity, who was the worst?
    Three.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Only problem I had was with the speed upgrade not working at the speed it should (15mb), went back to 10mB and I always get full speed 24 hours a day and never once have been disconnected.

I think UPC's broadband is the best I have used
    That's pretty A grade shilling there Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

That's pretty A grade shilling there Tony

I do not get paid by UPC, cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Leave the back seat modding out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Three.

maybe in your experiance 3 are the worst not for everyone in my opinion vodafone are the worst in ireland right now dire service 3 would out perform vodafone 3G anyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

My UPC goes down about twice an hour for 2-3 minutes at a time.. WITHOUT FAIL....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Surprised at this, theres been a UPC line in my mothers house for over ten years, I dont think its ever gone down. Consistantly high speeds too.

edit: actually i remember an outage about 2 years ago, but they put a message on their website, one on the phones and had it fixed fairly rapid

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

I'm on UPC's 30mb package. All seems to be fine :)

I just love how whenever one person has a problem, they assume it's everyone.

You know when it rains on me, I don't automatically assume the same cloud is encompasing the whole country.

As Vibe said, quiet often it's an individual thing.
    I had massive problems with 3 myself, but my cousin had massive problems with Meteor.

I have no problem with UPC, but don't assume that everyone is the same.

Quiet often however when somebody has a problem, that equuates to "UPC are the worst company in the world! Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!"

Any problems that you've had with UPC, somebody else has had just as bad with somebody else.

Like I had with Eircom for instance.
    But that doesn't mean that I'm going to tell somebody asking for my oppinion on Eircom that they eat babies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So much hate for a company!

I am with UPC for 4 years now.

In that time my connection has went down maybe 10 times in total for only a brief period.

In my opinion their Broadband 30Mb service is superb!

"You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."

Advertisement