Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the World Cup Golden Boot?

• 20-05-2010 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

So we've discussed who we think will win the World Cup, but who does everyone think will claim the tournament's Golden Boot? Davor Suker won it in '98, Ronaldo in '02 and Klose in '06. Seems like there are a host of candidates this time around as there are so many top forwards heading to South Africa.

Bookmakers seem to have Villa as the favourite at the minute. I think Rooney though could be a good shout as I can see England getting a few goals in the group stages.

Who is the smart money on for the accolade?

Who will win the World Cup Golden Boot? 116 votes

D. Villa
    0%
    F. Torres
    25%
    PHBPiEFighting Irishweemcdevad_lhorgTheDocCorkManMacker15starpoolthorbarryMagic PipseZe^obDr.Winston O'BoogiedavyjoseDouble CGillingtoncarlopStevecwQwerty27 29 votes
    L. Messi
    10%
    jesus_thats_grepatmacaidan24326DuffFearDarkinternelligent[Deleted User]livinginkoreaKev_ps3FunkZKombuchaMshroomgreendom 12 votes
    G. Higuain
    7%
    BigConKingp35NehaxakBoskowskimiralizeDaemosMinstrel27madmatdv123 9 votes
    R. Van Persie
    4%
    gimmickmayordenisspeedboatchaseBazBoxx43r0 5 votes
    W. Rooney
    6%
    Euro_KrautRATMHokiEsse85UnknownSpeciesshano_88Jiggapeabutler 8 votes
    L. Fabiano
    12%
    SeanehMr.Nice GuyAuvers[Deleted User]Paparazzojustbringit89sugarmanSlickRicnkay1985MmcdDiabhal BeagDazMarzMR NINED'Agger 14 votes
    C. Ronaldo
    21%
    VokesDont be at yourselfwoodygT-b0n3applehunterMr. PresentableeventJPAgustavoGLaDOSThe Volts_carnageAdamcp898WarperEvil_Clownflahavajtitan18Lukker-Rekop dogloveissucide 25 votes
    D. Drogba
    6%
    CivilServantjonnyfingersjamesozziePCrosCR 7Royal SeahawkJax TellerLe King 8 votes
    M. Klose
    3%
    Pepe LeFritsronan.hShoulderChippistolpetes11 4 votes
    A. Gilardino
    0%
    waltersobchak 1 vote
    Other
    0%
    newballsplease 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

W. Rooney
    I reckon Van Persie would be a good shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

W. Rooney
    I lumped on Rooney last week at 14/1- great price for an outside bet. The winner of the boot usually is one of only two players to get a hat-trick in one of the first round games- it can be a real lottery ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

75/1 Diego Forlan

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

C. Ronaldo
    Thinking of backing Fabiano myself

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Xavi6 wrote: »
    75/1 Diego Forlan

An awesome price seein as they're up against Mexico and South Africa in group stages, gotta be worth a fiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It is a lottery just went onto oddschecker and you can get Rossi at 80/1 which think is decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

L. Fabiano
    Yeah Forlan is a good outside bet. I think Uruguay have a decent chance of getting out of that group. I think they could end up facing Argentina potentially, who would likely be vulnerable at the back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

R. Van Persie
    I think Uruguay will top the group Forlan and Suarez, nom nom nom.

But I reckon Higuain is going to stop the scoring charts I know it's not always one of the real favourites who gets it but I think the Argies are going to come good and he's a sickeningly great finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Zigic at 150/1 I can feel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

L. Fabiano
    An absolute lottery, as you never know how long a team will last and ergo how long certain strikers will actually be playing in the World Cup.

I picked Rooney cos I honestly think England will progress far enough and Rooney will score a good few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looking at the group stages, my picks are Rooney, Van Persie and Villa. I think the groups England, Holland and Spain suit strikers, not particularly strong defences there. Whoever wins the golden boot invariably knocks in 3 or 4 in the group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

L. Messi
    If he is fully fit (hell, even half fit), I recon Torres will be on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

L. Fabiano
    I've gone with Rooney. I think that with him being their goal-scoring striker and coming off the back of an amazing season, he'll be on fire. Add to that the weaker teams in the group where you could see him nicking a few and he's got a great chance at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lack of Suarez/Forlan in poll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Humberto Suazo @ 100/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

F. Torres
    Van Persie and Villa getting my money.

Dont see Rooney lighting up the skies as everyone is predicting, and Torres I dont think will be tip top, both suffering from injuries and getting over them.

I always throw a fiver on Kose though, scored bags of goals, although i think hes coming towards the end, but still gets a bet of me every international event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

R. Van Persie
    Higuain gets my money. 18/1, can see Argentina getting to at least the semis and Hig is scoring goals for fun this year - his slim record is pretty good too at International level (4 games, 2 goals)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

F. Torres
    Oddly enough I find the chase for the golden boot more interesting then the overall winners, how weird is that.

Must be cause its the only WC bet i make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Robinho, He always seems to do the bizniz for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

C. Ronaldo
    I've backed both Villa and Fabiano. Villa is Spain's No. 1 goal-scorer and Spain should get to the semi's at least. Fabiano is Brazil's No. 1 goal-scorer and I fancy them to win it. Not very original but hey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

R. Van Persie
    Higuain gets my money. 18/1, can see Argentina getting to at least the semis and Hig is scoring goals for fun this year - his slim record is pretty good too at International level (4 games, 2 goals)

put a bit of money on this bet meself, i reckon he will bang them in during the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

I cant see Spain scoring many outside the group stage. By my reckoning they play Portugal/Ivory Coast then Italy then Argentina then Brazil, assuming there's no upsets and they go all the way..

Higuain or Fabiano for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

C. Ronaldo
    I voted Fabiano. I might have said Rooney, but his recent injury every third game put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

tevez 40/1 now in from 66.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

C. Ronaldo
    Forlan at 66/1 is a good each-way bet. Could get a good few in the group against South Africa and Mexico. Then a potential tie against South Korea, Nigeria or Greece could await.

Crouch each-way at 80/1 isn't bad either. His record for England is pretty amazing, and they've also got a pretty easy group.

I also put a few bob on Higuain outright. I reckon if Argentina are to go far, it will be due to Higuain's goals. He's off the back of a great season for Madrid, and if he can maintain the momentum - and, err, earn a place in the Argentina XI - we'll be there or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Forlan at 66/1 is a good each-way bet. Could get a good few in the group against South Africa and Mexico. Then a potential tie against South Korea, Nigeria or Greece could await.

Crouch each-way at 80/1 isn't bad either. His record for England is pretty amazing, and they've also got a pretty easy group.

I also put a few bob on Higuain outright. I reckon if Argentina are to go far, it will be due to Higuain's goals. He's off the back of a great season for Madrid, and if he can maintain the momentum - and, err, earn a place in the Argentina XI - we'll be there or thereabouts.
    But if he doesnt play he can't score and it looks unlikely he will.

Forlan for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

C. Ronaldo
    adamski8 wrote: »
    But if he doesnt play he can't score and it looks unlikely he will.

It's a fair point, but with Rooney's recent fitness struggles and Crouch being a very effective plan B alongside SWP, I'm sure he'll get a share of game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

F. Torres
    IMO David Villa cos Spain will at least reacht he semi-finals and he's always going to be banging them in for them.

He wants to be all time top scorer for Spain as well, he is 8 short of Raul who has 44. He'll want to possibly score 9 in the tournament, beating it in the final in his mind. I think he'll be happy cos of his move to Barca, with his new fat paycheck paying for his extra comfy seat on the way to south africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

CorkMan wrote: »
    IMO David Villa cos Spain will at least reacht he semi-finals and he's always going to be banging them in for them.

He wants to be all time top scorer for Spain as well, he is 8 short of Raul who has 44. He'll want to possibly score 9 in the tournament, beating it in the final in his mind. I think he'll be happy cos of his move to Barca, with his new fat paycheck paying for his extra comfy seat on the way to south africa.

Not guaranteed though. Chile will be a tough game in the group stage, and a last 16 tie against one of Brazil, Portugal or Ivory Coast after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the world cup usually throws up unknown names as top scorers e.g toto schillaci and oleg salenko (who only ever scored one other international goal outside the 1994 world cup)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

It's a fair point, but with Rooney's recent fitness struggles and Crouch being a very effective plan B alongside SWP, I'm sure he'll get a share of game time.
    If he had been starting in qualifiers or had heskey been injured id defo go for crouchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

tevez for the golden boot and argentina for the cup @ 80/1...yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

No Heskey option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

does Gignac start regularly for France? He started against Ireland didn't he?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

M. Klose
    Backed Drogba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

C. Ronaldo
    I reckon Fabiano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

F. Torres
    David Villa, most lethal striker in the world. :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

L. Fabiano
    Rooney will drag England to the semi's at least. He has really been superb this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Rooney will drag England to the semi's at least. He has really been superb this year.

He has been but is he burnt out now? He has had a long season with one of the most succesful clubs in the world sitting on his arse as he drags them to results. His injuries as of late suggest he is burnt out.

F. Torres
    smh @ fabiano getting 20 votes. He is good for Brazil alright, but he not proved himself at the very top level he has faced so far, and the world cup is higher.

Pato to possibly replace him at the end of the group stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

L. Fabiano
    smh @ fabiano getting 20 votes. He is good for Brazil alright, but he not proved himself at the very top level he has faced so far, and the world cup is higher.

Pato to possibly replace him at the end of the group stage.

Pato ain't going.

F. Torres
    Pato ain't going.

lunacy. Brazil ain't gonna win the world cup so, Kaka has been off form and he is their main jewel by far. Unless Julio Baptista reclaims his 03/04 season form:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Smart money would be on Villa as Spain are in quite a poor group by their standards although I can guarantee should Spain win the first two games practically the whole first team will be rested for the final group game. A similar thing happened in Euro 2008 when nearly the whole side was swapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Theo Walcott each way imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

C. Ronaldo
    Davor Šuker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

L. Messi
    Villa or Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

D. Drogba
    Ronaldo for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lunacy. Brazil ain't gonna win the world cup so, Kaka has been off form and he is their main jewel by far. Unless Julio Baptista reclaims his 03/04 season form:rolleyes:

you been watching brazil last 2 years :confused: they play as a team not as individuals, even robinho has a certain role and fills it very well

pato will not be missed, he has come on as sub in 4 matches over the past 2+ years and not scored or been part of a goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

C. Ronaldo
    Either Fabiano or Messi based on current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think Nilmar could do it. He has a good scoring record under Dunga and Brazil are probably going to be in the latter stages.

I imagine Villa or Rooney could be around there too. I'd also back Messi or Higuain but who knows with Maradona as their boss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement